Thread: Opinions on shops quoting prices without GST?

Default Opinions on shops quoting prices without GST?

And then there is the Nets price, CC price, cash price and the know owner price.

Its getting tiring going into a camera shop, ignore the pricetag and having to ask the best price is the Nets price.
    I photograph the dead.

Default Re: Opinions on shops quoting prices without GST?

I'm based in Australia for 11 out of 12 months, and over here we're used to the system where if the price you see is excluding taxes, it is written rather explicitly that it isn't the actual price.

whenever I go back to Singapore, I have to REMIND myself that that isn't the case. and with this latest inclusion of "Nets" tax, that has really pissed me off. I mean, isn't Nets an instantaneous transfer of funds between my account and the person's account?

I for one am for greater transparency in the listed price. not just in retail like this, but in the food and beverage industry as well. blagh just thinking about it is making my blood singe a little with the experience I've been encountering in Singapore within the past couple of years.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    And then there is the Nets price, CC price, cash price and the know owner price.

Its getting tiring going into a camera shop, ignore the pricetag and having to ask the best price is the Nets price.
    I guess the reason for doing so is to attract customers upfront, especially foreigners who aren't very familiar with the local market rates. They roam around and whoever has a lower displayed price will catch their attention, higher chance of them walking into the shop to check the items out. The storekeepers can then start their "poisoning" and break the news about the GST addition .

"Everywhere also the same one, the display price is not inclusive of GST, dun believe you walk into other shops and ask, uncle won't bluff you one... btw you want additional filter?"
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 11th September 2008 at 08:34 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Actually, isnt this normal? All restuarants list their price as $XX.00 ++. The "plus plus" refers to gst and service charge.

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    Actually, isnt this normal? All restuarants list their price as $XX.00 ++. The "plus plus" refers to gst and service charge.
    its normal, but you not sian of it meh?
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I'm based in Australia for 11 out of 12 months, and over here we're used to the system where if the price you see is excluding taxes, it is written rather explicitly that it isn't the actual price.

whenever I go back to Singapore, I have to REMIND myself that that isn't the case. and with this latest inclusion of "Nets" tax, that has really pissed me off. I mean, isn't Nets an instantaneous transfer of funds between my account and the person's account?

I for one am for greater transparency in the listed price. not just in retail like this, but in the food and beverage industry as well. blagh just thinking about it is making my blood singe a little with the experience I've been encountering in Singapore within the past couple of years.
    but think about it, unless shopping at woolsworth or other discount stores...a can of coke or fanta could be upwards of about AUD $4.00 compared to the 60 cents in SG and fast food joints here give sauces for free if referring to beverages differences.

isnt there any legislation to stop shop owners from advertising their prices without GST or other charges depending on mode of payment.
    I photograph the dead.

Blog Entries

then they should put from $XXX (cash price)

the GST does not belong to the shops, they are quoting you their selling price of the products, that nothing wrong for them to do so.

if you would ask how much I have to pay?or to be precise with GST is how much? the shop will tell you the total cost.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the GST does not belong to the shops, they are quoting you their selling price of the products, that nothing wrong for them to do so.

if you would ask how much I have to pay?or to be precise with GST is how much? the shop will tell you the total cost.
    This makes sense too, it makes even more sense for foreigners since are entitled to GST refund before leaving SG. Perhaps a price tag that includes both before and after GST prices would be usesful then.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 11th September 2008 at 11:51 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    its normal, but you not sian of it meh?
    haha i'm kind of used to it i guess. everywhere has been using the "$XX.00 ++ for years already (maybe decades already). i will mentally calculate roughly how much to pay.

Just like when you buy clothes sometime they indicate "10% off with XX credit card" you also need to mentally calculate how much to pay?
    Last edited by liveevil; 11th September 2008 at 04:05 PM.

It's an offence to display prices without GST for a GST registered trader.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page03.aspx?id=824
    Last edited by wanglk; 11th September 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying. - Stephen King.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    but think about it, unless shopping at woolsworth or other discount stores...a can of coke or fanta could be upwards of about AUD $4.00 compared to the 60 cents in SG and fast food joints here give sauces for free if referring to beverages differences.

isnt there any legislation to stop shop owners from advertising their prices without GST or other charges depending on mode of payment.
    I'm not talking about the difference in prices paid. I'm just talking about the fact that over here, all prices listed are inclusive of tax, and if not the case must be explicitly stated OTHERWISE in a clear/PRECISE manner, worded in simple english and not misleading/misconstrued english that could be interpreted in another manner altogether. in essence, that's the consumer law here.

really peeves me off when I go back to Singapore to a dining establishment, and I have to consciously remind myself that not only do I have to put up with (often) substandard service, but crazy taxes that get slapped onto me as a result of the whole ++ thing. or if I were to shop at a retail shop, I get told that I'd need to pay x% extra for a credit card payment, or that I'd need to pay y% extra if I were to pay via Nets (which.... befuddles me because isn't Nets an instantaneous fund transfer?!).

soon, I'd be charge z% just for even asking how much the item costs in the shop, or a% for even daring to make mental calculations of how all the additional tariffs will cost at the end of the day.

/end rant
    chicken fight!