Thread: DVD player bought in USA can be used in SG?

Default DVD player bought in USA can be used in SG?

checked CNET for best DVD player, to my surprise, the top 3 are not from Sony, Phylips and panasonic, but all from Oppo, which most of us are not familiar with, price range from US$169 to 399, best seller in amazon.com and multiple Award winner of AV magazine/website.

Unfortunately so far can not find local shop selling oppo, anyone can provide such info?

Another choice is to ask my friend in USA to get one for me. But base on the user menu, the region number for this DVD player is region No.1, if the region number of DVD disk doesn't correpond to region No.1, this player can not play the disk.

Just wondering whether the player bought in USA can be used here, what is the region Number for local DVD disk? and how about those cheap DVD disk?
    Last edited by sstar; 10th September 2008 at 09:39 PM.

Default Re: DVD player bought in USA can be used in SG?

Quote Originally Posted by sstar View Post
    checked CNET for best DVD player, to my surprise, the top 3 are not from Sony, Phylips and panasonic, but all from Oppo, which most of us are not familiar with, price range from US$169 to 399, best seller in amazon.com and multiple Award winner of AV magazine/website.

Unfortunately so far can not find local shop selling oppo, anyone can provide such info?

Another choice is to ask my friend in USA to get one for me. But base on the user menu, the region number for this DVD player is region No.1, if the region number of DVD disk doesn't correpond to region No.1, this player can not play the disk.

Just wondering whether the player bought in USA can be used here, what is the region Number for local DVD disk? and how about those cheap DVD disk?

Nothing a little google can't help get you the information in seconds...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes

Think you will find all your answers right there.

beside the region code, you also need to consider the different of voltage, here is 220V~240V, USA is 110~120V, you need a voltage converter.

after adding the cost of converter, most likely is LPPL, or worst, no after sale service.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

thanks sammy for your info, but I was told most players sold here are region free?

yes, buying from USA is quite troublesome, but really impressed for its feature and performance, both audio and video. don't mind the after sale service, most players can last serveral years without any problems, the power input is universal, 100-240V.

Anyway, can find a local set is the best.

thanks sammy for your info, but I was told most players sold here are region free?

yes, buying from USA is quite troublesome, but really impressed for its feature and performance, both audio and video. don't mind the after sale service, most players can last serveral years without any problems, the power input is universal, 100-240V.

Anyway, can find a local set is the best.
    Which model are you looking at? You do know that this are not true 1080p players. It is really a 780i or a 1080i ( which is interlace meaning it is fine on HD-Ready TV but not get any benefit to higher definitiion on a Full HD TV) If you are not in a hurry, you might as well wait for the BLue Ray so you can enjoy full 1080p quality playback. These DVD version are up-conversion units meaning it use algorithm to give it a slight improvement close to full-HD 1080p.
    Last edited by sammy888; 10th September 2008 at 10:33 PM.

I am looking at Oppo DV 980 @ $169, basic model.
    yes, it is not Full HD, 1080P up converting with HDMI and 7.1 channel audio with Dolby digital surround EX decoding. I think it is good enough for the time being.

The Blue ray disk will not popular in next few years just because of the price.

finally find the official local reseller who orgnize mass order with 1 year warranty in vr-zone.

the region number can be set to 0 ( all region ) in the setup menu.
    Last edited by sstar; 10th September 2008 at 11:34 PM.

Oppo doesn't announce it because they would become the legal target of the movie industry, but they have easy procedures to turn off Region checking. Helios is a brand that gets by with mentioning that they're region-free somehow.

The big brands apparently have to be surgically altered.

I have a Pioneer Elite DVD player which I bought from the US. First thing I did was to add a step-down transformer to convert the voltage from 240v to 110v.

Secondly, since the player can read Code 1 DVDs only, I converted all my Code 3 DVDs to region free via a software (there are many software available to do this) and burn them onto double-layer DVD+R disks.

Now that the prices of DVDs are so low, I try to buy more Code 1 disks. Local movies like those from Jack Neo or Royston Tan, and most Hong Kong movies are available in Code 3 only. I have to convert them to region free first. It is a bit 'ley chey' I know, but it is quite fun after a while.
    Last edited by photobum; 11th September 2008 at 07:14 AM.

Oppo is carried by SLT

go to xtremeplace.com, and pm darthfunk to get a set.
    He organises MOs for these.
    No converter needed and they are region free.

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Oppo is carried by SLT

go to xtremeplace.com, and pm darthfunk to get a set.
    He organises MOs for these.
    No converter needed and they are region free.
    yes, darthfunk is organising the same MO in VR Zone.