Page 1 of 50 12361126 ... LastLast

Thread: LX3 Users Discussion.

Cool LX3 Users Discussion.

With the new LX3 in our hands... lets understand the little wonder more.

Basic functions are pretty easy to use... but what about advance functions?

I tried a couple of shots this afternoon and I found 2 things.

1. The JPEG pics are a little too oversharpened... anyway to reduce it in cam?
    2. At higher ISO, there seems to be some form of JPEG compression effect, which isn't apparent in lower ISO...anyone have similar experience?

I've set it on medium size... not sure if it affect the compression algorithm.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Default Re: LX3 Users Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post

2. At higher ISO, there seems to be some form of JPEG compression effect, which isn't apparent in lower ISO...anyone have similar experience?

Can post the crop of the pic in question? I suspect it is more of the noise reduction rather than JPEG compression.

1. Go the Film mode settings and you can adjust sharpness.
    It is the second one from the top. The one with the "S".

2. You can adjust the NR (Noise reduction). Reduce it will give better pic resolution.

Last edited by MatchBox; 10th September 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Can somebody tell me if the Jpeg for Raw plus Jpeg the same as just Jpeg alone if all settings remains the same?. If difference what are the diffeence ?. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Can somebody tell me if the Jpeg for Raw plus Jpeg the same as just Jpeg alone if all settings remains the same?. If difference what are the diffeence ?. Thanks
    JPEG is processed in-cam according to your settings.. your raw..well...it's raw.

Quote Originally Posted by zapp! View Post
    Can post the crop of the pic in question? I suspect it is more of the noise reduction rather than JPEG compression.
    okie... here's the 100% crop.... all NR and sharpening set to 0 on LR.... all exif data should be intact.

and here's a closer crop, enhanced (brightness) to show what I mean by over sharpen & compression effects only observed in high ISO so far.

Another ISO 800 shot @ 100% crop... note the loss of facial features.

Last edited by CYRN; 11th September 2008 at 01:08 PM.

I'm not saying that the cam is no good.

In fact, for a P&S, it have already exceeded my expectation on what I can shoot with it... When I have time I'll do a side-by-side with my Sony T-1.

I just want to know if the in-cam processing engines are responsible for those "lines" artifacts shown in the enhanced pic and how can I overcome it. I've not tried RAW yet as LR doesn't support it (yet... I hope).

Macro test...

100% crop..

I'm not saying that the cam is no good.

In fact, for a P&S, it have already exceeded my expectation on what I can shoot with it... When I have time I'll do a side-by-side with my Sony T-1.

I just want to know if the in-cam processing engines are responsible for those "lines" artifacts shown in the enhanced pic and how can I overcome it. I've not tried RAW yet as LR doesn't support it (yet... I hope).
    That is not JPEG compression IMO. I think it could be a function of the noise reduction that is causing those artifacts. Pretty common

Another factor would be pure sensor noise as it is shot at ISO800 and there is insufficient lighting.

Love the pin hole mode but the resolution is limited to 2MP....any one knows what is the best setting to manually adjust the C1 or C2 to achieve the pin hole effect but retaining a higher resolution

Quote Originally Posted by alanyeo View Post
    Love the pin hole mode but the resolution is limited to 2MP....any one knows what is the best setting to manually adjust the C1 or C2 to achieve the pin hole effect but retaining a higher resolution
    Looks like it's a fixed parameter and picture quality will be set to "low" also.... think it more for fun snapshot use.

The iA mode is pretty accurate in guessing the type of scene I was about to take and set the exposure accordingly, not easily fooled.

JPEG is processed in-cam according to your settings.. your raw..well...it's raw.
    Er what I meant is the difference between the jpeg quality for the settings to take jpeg alone (fine mode no raw files) and the raw + jpeg (fine, both raw and jpeg).
    Does the quality differs or are they the same ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Er what I meant is the difference between the jpeg quality for the settings to take jpeg alone (fine mode no raw files) and the raw + jpeg (fine, both raw and jpeg).
    Does the quality differs or are they the same ?.
    the same.... or at least I don't see any diff in my pics so far.

Different Question

Is there a perceptible time lag between pressing the shutter button and the camera actually relasing the shutter? I had an LX-1 where this was quite obvious and lost some good shots becos of it. The Fuji F30/31 is much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainlight View Post
    Different Question

Is there a perceptible time lag between pressing the shutter button and the camera actually relasing the shutter? I had an LX-1 where this was quite obvious and lost some good shots becos of it. The Fuji F30/31 is much faster.
    You refering to LX1 or LX3? I find LX3 acceptable. Of course cannot fight with SLRs.

I've arbitarily tested the shutter lag, with AF pre-focused, shooting a moving car, the lag is about half out of center where the shutter is depressed.

As for AF lag... disabling the macro mode and using only center AF point significantly reduce the AF lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainlight View Post
    Different Question

You refering to LX1 or LX3? I find LX3 acceptable. Of course cannot fight with SLRs.

I've arbitarily tested the shutter lag, with AF pre-focused, shooting a moving car, the lag is about subject having moved half out of center where the shutter is depressed.

As for AF lag... disabling the macro mode and using only center AF point significantly reduce the AF lag.

I simply the 16:9 ratio

Last edited by CYRN; 12th September 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Hey guys, do anyone know if there's any third party viewfinders we can use on our LX-3?

Is the LX3 using the same battery as LX1 (model CGA-S005E )?

Page 1 of 50 12361126 ... LastLast