View Poll Results: Do you think the camera or the person behind the camera is producing good photos?

Voters
563. You may not vote on this poll
  • Camera!

    66 11.72%
  • The person behind the camera!

    497 88.28%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 253

Thread: camera or person behind camera?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    113

    Talking Re: camera or person behind camera?

    I find that even a person like you and me holding a pro camera will eventually become skillful some day with constant practice and guidances whereas a pro photographer holding a normal camera, create take good photos but got limitations. Good photographers deserved to have good cameras as well.

    I voted 'camera' in this case.

  2. #42

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    90% photog.
    10% equipment.

    But!
    The camera is akin to a paintbrush as the pictures are your canvas.

    Knowing how your "paintbrush" can do and cannot do, will go a long long way
    Canon 400D:18-55:75-300:50F1.8:tokina 28-70F2.8:
    msn - viroxmk5@hotmail.com

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Balestier
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    for me i think its evenly weighted...

    50% equipment
    50% photog

    yes, you can take nice pictures with lousy/average equipments but what if you have much better equipments...wouldnt the same pictures be of better and higher standard?

    but since theres no 50-50 option, then i guess i'll go with man behind camera...
    Last edited by maswu; 28th February 2009 at 11:09 AM.
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

  4. #44
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Its the angle, timing, location, luck, skill of the person behind the camera. Its the performance and functions of the camera that help the person achieve the result easier. It takes two hands to clap. The camera cannot shoot and decide how to shoot on its own, similarly the person MIGHT not be able to achieve such result with out certain equipment (example he has a handphone camera shooting the sky without a filter, it shows that he is limited even with skill)
    I believe in the phrase, "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." By Ansel Adams
    Last edited by wootsk; 28th February 2009 at 11:34 AM.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Eastern Side, Tampines
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    I vote for the person behind the photographer.

    BUT... What happens if?

    a. The sensor is so small and the MP is so high that the camera is super noisy.
    b. There's no PASM
    c. To summarise the camera is just plain lousy.

    Cheers

    mahathir
    Only in death, I shall be truly liberated.

  6. #46
    Member kenkht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by iSuse123 View Post
    I find that even a person like you and me holding a pro camera will eventually become skillful some day with constant practice and guidances whereas a pro photographer holding a normal camera, create take good photos but got limitations. Good photographers deserved to have good cameras as well.

    I voted 'camera' in this case.
    Wrong. sorry. photographers 50 years ago do produce excellent iconic photos even though their cameras are not even up to par compared to ours today. It is how you compose and capture the subject that you want to convey. A tool is never going to get you anywhere if you're lousy.

  7. #47

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Person behind the cam is slightly important. If don't know how to use the cam effectively, no point.........

  8. #48

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    camera- 75%

    man- 25%

    but the 25% is something u either have or u don't.

  9. #49

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Person behind the cam is slightly important. If don't know how to use the cam effectively, no point.........
    point n shoot is for those who can't be bother to use it effectively.
    n u find the point at the start of PnS.


  10. #50

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    IMHO, its 80% the photographer, and 20% the equipment.

    The equipment serves to compliment and enhance the photographer's skill, not to mask the photographer's skill (or lack thereof). As with what calebk says, a noob with a Hasselblad will not give you awesome pics.

  11. #51
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenkht View Post
    Wrong. sorry. photographers 50 years ago do produce excellent iconic photos even though their cameras are not even up to par compared to ours today. It is how you compose and capture the subject that you want to convey. A tool is never going to get you anywhere if you're lousy.
    I do understand what you mean, but if you do pratice, you have a passion for it. It quite hard that you will still shoot poor photos. Secondly, there are certain shots like the side view of flying a flying eagle etc that requires fast shutters. A good camera help make certain shots impossible 50 years ago possible, but a good camera is wasted on a untrained hand with no passion for photography. Thats what I feel

  12. #52

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenkht View Post
    Wrong. sorry. photographers 50 years ago do produce excellent iconic photos even though their cameras are not even up to par compared to ours today. It is how you compose and capture the subject that you want to convey. A tool is never going to get you anywhere if you're lousy.
    80yrs ago,
    ford model t,
    difference between a good n bad driver can be HUGE.

    today,
    nissan skyline gtr,
    a good n bad driver's diff is down to a few sec per lap.

    technology has compensated for general technical skill needed.

    a good tool helps when u r lousy.

  13. #53

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by vii_haven View Post
    IMHO, its 80% the photographer, and 20% the equipment.

    The equipment serves to compliment and enhance the photographer's skill, not to mask the photographer's skill (or lack thereof). As with what calebk says, a noob with a Hasselblad will not give you awesome pics.
    what is good for the lousy photographer may not be a Hasselblad,
    but maybe a Pan LX3?

    assuming the same constant,
    LX3,
    photogs r me(lousy) n u(good),
    how much different can our pics be?

    modern cam mask my ignorance of technical know how generally with the green window.


  14. #54
    Member kenkht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    80yrs ago,
    ford model t,
    difference between a good n bad driver can be HUGE.

    today,
    nissan skyline gtr,
    a good n bad driver's diff is down to a few sec per lap.

    technology has compensated for general technical skill needed.

    a good tool helps when u r lousy.
    Nope, cannot agree with that. Photography is an art, cars not. wrong analogy.

  15. #55
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    John Lennon said "I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba, I'll bring you something out of it."

    If you have the eye, any photographic equipment will produce results. Good or bad is subjective.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Balestier
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    John Lennon said "I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba, I'll bring you something out of it."

    If you have the eye, any photographic equipment will produce results. Good or bad is subjective.
    yeap...i agree...what you like, mayb what others do not like and what you dun like, others may like it...
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    I would say, its both the Camera, and the person behind it. But more importantly, the person behind it.

    You cannot take pictures without tools (unless you took some imaginary photograph from your head ), and you cannot produce anything without the person using the tools.

  18. #58

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    wat is a good picture?

  19. #59
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  20. #60

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    It's not so much of the camera but the person.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •