View Poll Results: Do you think the camera or the person behind the camera is producing good photos?

Voters
563. You may not vote on this poll
  • Camera!

    66 11.72%
  • The person behind the camera!

    497 88.28%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 253

Thread: camera or person behind camera?

  1. #201
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Safe and perfect answer: The person behind the camera.

    Honest answer: The camera

    Look at what they have -

    1. winners of photo competition
    2. the masters
    3. most people on forum who say it is the person behind camera

    If you lend me a D90 with a 17-55mm f2.8 lens, I can do a better job than what I can do with my D40 + 18-55mm kit lens.
    Fuji X100s, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc, Nikon 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8f

  2. #202

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Same logic as how buying a top-dollar keyboard does not make the person using it a kick-ass writer or reporter.

  3. #203
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Etna-sama View Post
    Same logic as how buying a top-dollar keyboard does not make the person using it a kick-ass writer or reporter.
    It makes the person a better typist as he finds more comfort in typing.

  4. #204

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Hi, Both should be equally good to achieve the best result.

  5. #205

    Default

    Ok, now after 2 years, I'm more interested to know what's the OP status?

  6. #206

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    It's 10% luck, 80% skill and 10% equipment.

    If person is skillful, he can take good pictures with anything. Good equipment jus makes his work easier.
    If person is unskillful, give him anything also no use. Because he dunno what he is doing. The occasional good shots are purely luck cos he cannot replicate the effect.
    If you haven seen ppl who make great pictures with mobile phones...u ain't seen nth yet.

    If the camera can produce good shots on it's on with no input from the man..then surely all D3 owners make good shots. But sadly that is way far from the truth. Are all newspaper photos nice?

    The reason publishing house requires god camera...cos they wanna eliminate the part of the equation.

  7. #207

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by divinemoment View Post
    Ok, now after 2 years, I'm more interested to know what's the OP status?
    Dunno but for you, I know for sure your skills deserve a better camera!

  8. #208
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by plainsunset View Post
    It's 10% luck, 80% skill and 10% equipment.

    If person is skillful, he can take good pictures with anything. Good equipment jus makes his work easier.
    If person is unskillful, give him anything also no use. Because he dunno what he is doing. The occasional good shots are purely luck cos he cannot replicate the effect.
    If you haven seen ppl who make great pictures with mobile phones...u ain't seen nth yet.

    If the camera can produce good shots on it's on with no input from the man..then surely all D3 owners make good shots. But sadly that is way far from the truth. Are all newspaper photos nice?

    The reason publishing house requires god camera...cos they wanna eliminate the part of the equation.
    I give you a 600mm with a 1.5 crop body and ask you to photo some landscape shots near a beach resort vs a noob who has a 12mm and a ff using auto mode, I seriously wonder who will turn out better photo?

    Lets remove the luck factor and we can see that people mistake the person behind the camera because in modern time, most people who handles the used to be only professional equipment and blame the camera because they just haven't learn the inside out of how good their equipment actually are and for some, even some of the most basic for handling it and photography knowledge and skills. But for those who learned it, they find restriction in their current equipment. Seriously you don't really have much chance to shoot a high up in the sky bird with your current kit lens at max around 80mm with crop.

    Regarding, the good photo with phone, there is a video online about IPhone photo shoot. Maybe his conclusion will be more meaningful about how much touch up he need to do using the software and the restriction to only using certain style for his photoshoot.

  9. #209

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Give a Professional photographer a canon 1000d with kit lens And a canon 1d mark iv with L lenses. see the result and you'll know the answer

  10. #210

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    The person behind the gear .....
    a580|T17502.8|T10243.5-4.5|S501.8|HVL58AM

  11. #211
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore, East Sider
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    =D

    it's a case to case basis, but the strength of a photo mostly relies on composition.
    composition itself is an art; formless, intangible.

    while good composition is made with skill rather than gear, better gear allows for more keepers.

    lack of good composition by someone with good gear, just gives him nicely focused shots with no distinct elements that constitute good composition.

    you'll be surprised that some people look at their precisely focused picture that's sharp and rich in colours, and call it a 'good shot'. it's a very subjective thing, i know, but good photography goes beyond the simple factors like colour and extreme sharpness.

    thus, i still stand by the fact that the person plays a bigger role in the creation of a good picture.

    PS: point to add. anyone using a 600mm lens to shoot landscape is quite daring. not impossible, but closely there. there is one situation where this 600mm + crop shooter will turn out a better shot that a 12mm + ff shooter, and that is, to shoot an island or object/subject that is extremely far away. the 12mm ff will barely see anything. =P
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

  12. #212

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    Dunno but for you, I know for sure your skills deserve a better camera!
    My dear friend,

    The short answer: My size dictates the wt of camera I should carry
    The long answer: My CO holds the credit card.

    Cheers

  13. #213
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by LukaviZ View Post
    =D

    it's a case to case basis, but the strength of a photo mostly relies on composition.
    composition itself is an art; formless, intangible.

    while good composition is made with skill rather than gear, better gear allows for more keepers.

    lack of good composition by someone with good gear, just gives him nicely focused shots with no distinct elements that constitute good composition.

    you'll be surprised that some people look at their precisely focused picture that's sharp and rich in colours, and call it a 'good shot'. it's a very subjective thing, i know, but good photography goes beyond the simple factors like colour and extreme sharpness.

    thus, i still stand by the fact that the person plays a bigger role in the creation of a good picture.

    PS: point to add. anyone using a 600mm lens to shoot landscape is quite daring. not impossible, but closely there. there is one situation where this 600mm + crop shooter will turn out a better shot that a 12mm + ff shooter, and that is, to shoot an island or object/subject that is extremely far away. the 12mm ff will barely see anything. =P
    I wrote near a beach resort because there will be nothing there out for LANDSCAPE towards the sea area. As such, you will be forced to shoot the land area...

    Anyway photography isn't really call "art" from my POV. People who learn the skill and how to handle their equipment are for different reason. It is just that some people learns it because they like to use it as a media to produce "art" work.

  14. #214

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    I think the poll answered the question, and I agree with it to some degree. 90% photographer, 10% gear...

    If a photographer doesn't know how to take photographs (framing, lighting etc), even if he uses a D3X, the photo will not turn out to be awesome. On the other hand, if you pass him a compact, he maybe able to do wonders with it.
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

  15. #215

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    it's the camera. that's why everyone can't stop buying.

  16. #216

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    A good photo is relative. A good camera and a good photographer would yield nothing if no one appreciates the picture. To the uninitiated, every pic can be a good one.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

  17. #217
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    both lah both lah.

  18. #218
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    393

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    In the gaming world, having a better mouse with better tracking doesn't mean you can frag your opponents better than someone who is using a normal mouse. Skill is the key.

  19. #219
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
    In the gaming world, having a better mouse with better tracking doesn't mean you can frag your opponents better than someone who is using a normal mouse. Skill is the key.
    Having a better mouse allows you to have an edge over someone who has the same level of skill as you.

  20. #220
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    393

    Default Re: camera or person behind camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Having a better mouse allows you to have an edge over someone who has the same level of skill as you.
    Yup, but personally I think for photography, human factor is really important coz two different people cannot take pictures from exactly the same angle. Even the time of the day etc are different.

    One may have the best gear but they still need an eye for detail and beauty (may not suit all but should be to most, e.g. fashion designers' works may not suit all but the better ones appeal to most)

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •