Thread: DSLR flight boarding

Default DSLR flight boarding

Hi all, is it safe for our DSLR to go through x-ray scanning machine before boarding the plane?

Default Re: DSLR flight boarding

You can do a search. I believe this has been discussed before.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by tJames View Post
    Hi all, is it safe for our DSLR to go through x-ray scanning machine before boarding the plane?
    A short answer is "Yes".

I think u do not have a choice NOT to go through X-ray machine at airport nowadays, but the answer is yes it is safe.

Safe, nothing to worry about. There are many DSLRs passing through the machines everyday, so dun worry about it
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Mine still works fine after going through the scanner a good number of times. Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by tJames View Post
    200% ok

Should be safe, and remember to switch it off first before passing it through the x-ray (just to be on the "safe and paranoid" side)

Quote Originally Posted by phyrewall View Post
    Should be safe, and remember to switch it off first before passing it through the x-ray (just to be on the "safe and paranoid" side)
    Battery need to take out?
    EM5

as long no bomb its okay

Quote Originally Posted by shark78 View Post
    No need.
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by shark78 View Post
    Can, but keep it in your bag. Once I was asked to switch on the camera to show that it really a cam and not an empty case with something else inside. Funny face from the security officer when the display kept dark after switching on (Live View was not introduced at this time). Snapped a pic and could show her then.
    Don't keep batteries in pocket, I remember that some country's security officers get pretty nervous about batteries carried outside their respective devices.

It's fully safe to send yr DSLR through the metallic scanner. Only if u're using film then better to have to hand-checked.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Can, but keep it in your bag. Once I was asked to switch on the camera to show that it really a cam and not an empty case with something else inside. Funny face from the security officer when the display kept dark after switching on (Live View was not introduced at this time). Snapped a pic and could show her then.
    Don't keep batteries in pocket, I remember that some country's security officers get pretty nervous about batteries carried outside their respective devices.
    i once had this as well but it happened to me when i was carrying a laptop. asked me to take out the laptop n they checked. not happy, ask me to power on to show it is working. took a grand total of 15 mins. lucky i was not late for my flight.

back to the topic. its 300% safe for ur dSLR to go through the X-Ray machine. if u are carrying films, then its better to ask if the machine is film friendly.

It is dslr freindly and film friendly, however it is environmental unfriendly. I worked with radiation

Most airports/customs are already using film safe x-ray machines. If it can't hurt your film, it shouldn't mess with electronics in your camera.

Yup, it's definitely safe... but just to be on the safe side, dont forget to turn off your camera before you put it in the X-ray machine
    Blood is Red for a reason. Liverpool for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    You can do a search. I believe this has been discussed before.
    Yes, together with "will the pressure change in cabin affect DSLR", "can I take photos in the cabin", "can I take photos during take off and landing", and many such related questions.

And to save anyone interested time searching, the answers are "no", "usually yes", "go ahead if you insist, but put it away if asked to".