Thread: enlighten me(noob)

Default enlighten me(noob)

I'll be heading to Hokkaido this december and will be taking lots of pictures i suppose. What lenses would be good for
    -capturing people yet still being able to see the overall background?
    -just taking scenic pictures (relatively wide angle)

Oh i'm using a 450D

Oh and can someone enlighten me on the difference b/w these 2 lenses and the best ways to use them
    -EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    -EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Many thx

Default Re: enlighten me(noob)

Er. I sugfgest you read the newbie's guide in this forum section to understand focal length.
    Alpha

HI

Hokkaido will be cold and wet in December, get to know how to use your equipment in cold weather and remember to slightly under expose on snow.
    Have a spare battery in your pocket where its warm. If you are in the city area its not so bad, but in the open country you may feel it especially if there is a wind chill factor. To avoid condensation when coming into a warm room from the cold make sure you have your equipment in a zip lock before you come into the warm room and let the eqripment sit in the bag until it comes to about room temperautre before you take it out to use again.

i always thought we should overexpose slightly to retain the white-ness of snow, instead of underexpose, which will end up getting grey snow. Correct me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    i always thought we should overexpose slightly to retain the white-ness of snow, instead of underexpose, which will end up getting grey snow. Correct me if im wrong.
    You would want to underexpose to retain the highlight details... else if you overexpose, all details would be lost as plain white...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

It all depends on what metering pattern is used, and WHERE you meter and whether one uses AE lock or not.

The easiest tip I can give, is, meter off your hand, and use the Auto EV feature of your camera to automatically give you a - EV to + EV range of files and select the best one after you've downloaded to a computer to judge.