Thread: Sneaky

Default Sneaky

taken at the botanical gardens around 5 pm .. shot wit 50mm F1.8 II . . its the first time i'm using a fixed focal length lens.. anything to improve on the shot or composure guys..?

[IMG][/IMG]

Default Re: Sneaky

Hi,
    IMHO, the eyes is a bit oof, the focus seem to lock on the hair. May I check what is the aperture size u use? I feel that the leaves in front is a little distracting. Thanks.
    Last edited by jtsky; 7th September 2008 at 06:45 PM.

aperture is at 2.8, i use the leaves as a foreground something like a sneaky shot..

i kinda like the 'sneaky' part. it did actually give a 'stalker' feeling.
    but the model seems too soft...

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers15 View Post
    aperture is at 2.8, i use the leaves as a foreground something like a sneaky shot..
    OIC, if the purpose leaves is to create sneaky feeling, it does helps.

Something I learned from Stoned from my previous post is, by opting to use a thin DOF related to large aperture, you have to be very careful with your focus. If you observe the photo, you will notice that the model's eyes are out of focus and the point that is in absolute focus seems to be the hair-clip to me. "Portraits generally look better when the subject's eyes are in focus as a viewer will generally be drawn to the eyes first and OOF eyes are the first thing people will notice and be turned off by, as eyes can also be said to be windows to the soul, they also help to improve connection to the subject and must be as well captured as you possibly can achieve."

I am still learning too, please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
    Last edited by jtsky; 7th September 2008 at 08:29 PM.

what u said is true.... but practically if u wanna spend half hour just to get a shot its quite cumbersome.. with more time and maybe not on a fasting month i would do better.. thnks and upz for ya input..

what u said is true.... but practically if u wanna spend half hour just to get a shot its quite cumbersome.. with more time and maybe not on a fasting month i would do better.. thnks and upz for ya input..
    ya, keep shooting and learning from others is how we can improve, thanks

It takes 5 more seconds to ensure your focus is on the eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    It takes 5 more seconds to ensure your focus is on the eyes...
    half an hour to focus n the eyes, he must be using a PRO manual focus camera that will make us go WOW

it doesn't take much effort to check your focus. heck, you have auto focus, just put the af point smack bang on her eye (not a problem since the model in in the centre of the frame anyway, her eyes are arnd the upper AF point)
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

I agree with the bros here on the focus, the model seems very soft in the image. It take just a bit more effort to ensure that the focus is on, if AF fails you, resorting to MF often gives you good results.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

i dont mean the taking half hour to focus .. i mean not eating or drink for a day .. would be a bit tired i guess... anyways upz for ya coments..

i dont mean the taking half hour to focus .. i mean not eating or drink for a day .. would be a bit tired i guess... anyways upz for ya coments..
    whoops solly then. haha i like your concept, but the subject is too centralised leh. and got not much "story" in the picture. maybe show more context like the background/something to tell a story like expression?

btw is did you just shoot some random person or is that your model?

No Worries... upz for the input... aniway she my fiancee keke so free model :P

Haa haa if she doesn't mind being your model then you should bring her out for more shoots then, good for practise and I'm sure she'll enjoy the process too
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

haha you song song, got free model to shoot. haha no need to worry about copy right/model release somemore.

Looks like a photo taken from a stalker, just joking.
    Somehow i cant find any focal point from u picture... there's a bit technical blur...?
    Watch for the model face thou, hot spots as the light source slams onto her face.
    Maybe adjust the metering...? or add on a filter lens?

af was locked at wrong position ... more of the hair.... i also think that the lighting was overbaring on her face.... thnks for the past ..upzz...