Thread: Manfrotto 190 with G2??

jermng
    Guests

Default Manfrotto 190 with G2??

I'm pretty interested in getting a Manfrotto 190 and a ball head for my G2 as I'm tired of my filmsy old Tripod. But I'm wondering whether it's an overkill. Will it seem a little too much if I bring the tripod outdoors for shoots with a relatively tiny camera on the head?
    I like the Manfrotto cos it is also stable enough to do small studio work.
    Also, what's the diff between the 190 and the PRO version? What does the horizontal shaft do?

THanks!!

I think it will be alright. The 190 (any model) will be able to mount a DSLR on it if you decided upgrade in future. To reduce the weight, you can buy a smaller ball head for the G2. When you own a bigger camera, you only need to change to a bigger ball head.

Default Re: Manfrotto 190 with G2??

IMO, if G2 is not your final camera, it's always good to invest in a good tripod and heads, especially with the advent of the newer DSLRs and the lower priceline.

Go for a good one (not necessary the best of the crop) and it should last you a long long time. Think of the interim upgrade losses!

Manfrotto 190 series is probably overkill for the G2, but hey, u are buying into the future right?

For a start, I think Manfrotto 190ProB and 486RC2 is good for you, should be under S$240 or so for both.

Originally posted by jermng
    I'm pretty interested in getting a Manfrotto 190 and a ball head for my G2 as I'm tired of my filmsy old Tripod. But I'm wondering whether it's an overkill. Will it seem a little too much if I bring the tripod outdoors for shoots with a relatively tiny camera on the head?
    I like the Manfrotto cos it is also stable enough to do small studio work.
    Also, what's the diff between the 190 and the PRO version? What does the horizontal shaft do?

THanks!!

The PRO version allows user to take out the vertical shaft, and turn it to become a horizontal shaft, so user can mount the camera overhead, and point the lens directly downwards. For example, if you want to shoot/copy an old black and white photo with your G2, then you can make use of the horizontal shaft in that manner.