Thread: Portrait Shot

Default Portrait Shot

Hey guys~
    Took this portrait shot of a friend using st. james building as the backdrop.

Exposure: 1/3200 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 55 mm

She's got this look on her face that really never says much when she's thinking and i think i managed to capture it this time... it's like a mona lisa smile... Smile but not one at all.
    Her facial expression is almost nothing. Can't really seem to put your finger on any words to describe.
    Is this only coming across for me?

This is also one of my first few attempts at taking portrait shots and i wonder if this kinda plan works - expressionless face. Do it work aesthetically?
    The shot was taken at 12p.m... which i believe isn't such a great timing for portrait shooting?

Please advice and comment =)

And... Have another great week~

Default Re: Portrait Shot

Fill Flash!

Use reflector to lighten up her face and remove the raccoon eyes. Or you can position her near to a white wall so that the wall acts as a giant reflector. Anyways. I would prefer to see her eyes as I could imagine her eyes to be beautiful. You got nice friends!

i see.... thanks alot for the pointers. will try them out the next time... haven't really taken the initiative to work with reflectors and things like that.... will try to work on that.

She is pretty. This is something I learned from calebk. I would like to share with you. Notice she is looking towards the left of frame, your composition leave almost no "noseroom" in front of her. Leave the proper amount of noseroom and headroom in front of and above the person you're shooting. And if the person is looking to the side, add space in the direction in which the person is looking, in front of their nose. This way will gives a 'breathing' space to the composition.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    She is pretty. This is something I learned from calebk. I would like to share with you. Notice she is looking towards the left of frame, your composition leave almost no "noseroom" in front of her. Leave the proper amount of noseroom and headroom in front of and above the person you're shooting. And if the person is looking to the side, add space in the direction in which the person is looking, in front of their nose. This way will gives a 'breathing' space to the composition.
    this is very true.
    but i've seen many photographs taken otherwise mentioned. no 'noseroom' was allowed but there were many blank spaces at the back, assuming it's taken in landscape format and 45 degrees from the face. it surprisingly works!

for this pictures here. IMHO, i feel that the model was awkwardly 'cut off'.

Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    this is very true.
    but i've seen many photographs taken otherwise mentioned. no 'noseroom' was allowed but there were many blank spaces at the back, assuming it's taken in landscape format and 45 degrees from the face. it surprisingly works!

for this pictures here. IMHO, i feel that the model was awkwardly 'cut off'.
    Thanks, I agree with you. Think everything works both ways. That is how art works.

thank you jtsky, HTCahHTC for the time and comment...

i realised that is very true. Another point taken =)

Something to consider also, perhaps you could have waited for just a second or two later, or snapped more shots after this, the moment she saw you and her [almond / blue] eyes are focused to the camera - how different could it have been, how maybe more beautiful it may have been too? With that, the lips may have turned into a smile, brightens up the picture, and everything would have been different. Mona Lisa was looking directly at us when she smiled.

Perhaps you could have used the soften mode too.

Just my opinion la.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

oh actually i did that, had a shot with eyes open, same expression, and another with eyes closed but a smile... choose this one eventually don't know why...

but you have a point there cheguthamrin i get what you mean... it's about capturing that "perfect" moment... whenever it comes.