Thread: Wooden Cross

Default Wooden Cross

I enjoy night photography...

Now hosted on singnet!
    Last edited by alvin; 30th July 2003 at 02:32 AM.

I only see a red cross in a white box

BillyTheKid
    Guests

Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry on this one. I don't see any points of interest.

If you like night shots, I suggest you go find something else more interesting, preferably without the use of flash. Night shots, specially scenics, park trails, city skylines, etc.. are best taken without flash during dusk or nightime.

Don't get offended

Hi BillyTheKid,
    No, I'm not offended; I simply found it interesting, and posted it up I hope to see you comment on my future stuff!

~Alvin

Hi Alvin,

I had the same problem as BillyTheKid, i.e could not find the point of interest.

Could I ask you a question ? What was it about the scene that captured your attention ? Was it the cross ? Or the lighting ? Or was it the mood that it conveyed ? Colour ? Texture ? Patterns ? When you decided to take this picture there would have been something that captured your attention.

Before taking a photograph, try to find out what it is about a scene that captures your attention. Then when preparing to take the photograph, try to communicate that aspect to the viewer. For example, if your found the lighting interesting, then put off your flash. If you found the design of the cross interesting, then try to adjust you position and the depth of field so that everything else is blurred out. Similarly, if its the colour, find a way to make the colour prominent. Whatever it is that you find interesting should be made more prominent in the photograph.

Remember that photography is also about communication, so before taking the photograph you have to decide what you want to communicate, and then use your skills as a photographer to make the viewer understand it.

Keep on posting more photos

Hi Siddhi!
    Thank for your questioning! From what I saw, it resembles a cross; in my mind's image, it is like those from the bible. The top portion which is bended is like a person who is crucified, and is tilted forward, as if very tired. The light represents the heart of the person, still light, though darkness surrounds him.

Now the greenery though, is another aspect. I liked the difference between green and brown, like trees. Green leaves, brown trunk (from my mind image! =)) Since it is at night, the leaves are able to show the edges of the "cross" more clearly than it would say, against a pure black background.

Usage of flash was more "technical" I guess, I wanted to see clearly the ribbing of the light; using my P9's nightscene mode didn't really get it right, so I went P mode + spot meter + flash so I could clearly see the ribbing.

Well that's about it!

Regards,
    Alvin

yo alvin my man...

u flashed this shot? of cos u did.
    would do well if u don't flash...

as for what others say... the focus point thing...
    well... i feel it has to be the light in the middle.
    i mean it is smacked in the middle thus it almost immediately captured my attention... besides there's not much to look at otherwise in this photo...

don't fire flash... it will work.