Thread: Using magnets on a flash unit?

Default Using magnets on a flash unit?

Hi,

while devising a good way to attach a bounce card on my flash, I thought of using soft magnets instead of velcro. The magnets are the flexible kind of strip magnet, can be cut to size easily. It will easier to attach and remove compared to using velcro. However, I was wondering if the magnetic field will affect the operation of the flash, perhaps the electronics and motor within the unit. Anyone with any ideas?

if you are a digital user, will it not affect your flash memory, the magnets?

But... they'll drop off far easier too, nevermind the consequences on the electronics, won't they?

Default Re: Using magnets on a flash unit?

Originally posted by Tweek
    Hi,

while devising a good way to attach a bounce card on my flash, I thought of using soft magnets instead of velcro. The magnets are the flexible kind of strip magnet, can be cut to size easily. It will easier to attach and remove compared to using velcro. However, I was wondering if the magnetic field will affect the operation of the flash, perhaps the electronics and motor within the unit. Anyone with any ideas?
    Hi Tweek,
    never mind what has been said about falling magnets. How many flashes these days are made with metal outer shells?
    I don't think it will work. Velcro has been the choice for so long because it does not usually fail if bumped. You need specific intent to seperate the two halves.
    Regards