Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Using bounce flash

  1. #1

    Default Using bounce flash

    Hi,

    If you are using a bounce flash,
    does the TTL mode still works accurately ?
    i suppose it doesnt since the speedlight will assume you are aiming directly.

    Is there any proven way to compensate.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    TTL = Through The Lens

    It means that the camera measures the reflected light entering the camera through the lens, regardless if the flash is not mounted on the camera OR if the flash is configured as bounce flash.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    Also, your flash should automatically compensate with extra power if it detects it's angled for a bounce.
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    If you are using TTL with force flash,
    Base on the reflected light intensity,
    i believe the camera will calculate how much power to use fot the flash,
    Will the camera also know if you are bouncing your flash ?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Also, your flash should automatically compensate with extra power if it detects it's angled for a bounce.
    OK, so it does.
    Tks.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    Will the camera also know if you are bouncing your flash ?
    Yes. The camera is aware of it and use of bounce flash is reflected in the EXIF information. Nikon ViewNX and CaptureNX reflected use of bounce flash in the file information when you view the image file through these software.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Yes. The camera is aware of it and use of bounce flash is reflected in the EXIF information. Nikon ViewNX and CaptureNX reflected use of bounce flash in the file information when you view the image file through these software.
    How about diffuser, the camera is also aware ?
    or no compensation is needed when using diffuser.

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    How about diffuser, the camera is also aware ?
    or no compensation is needed when using diffuser.
    Many cameras have an FEL function, Flash Exposure Lock. You fire a test flash and the cam will adjust accordingly (Flash Exposure Compensation). You are able to lock the exposure settings, recompose, focus and take the shoot finally. By this way all compensation is done by the cam. Check your camera and flash manual for further details. Alternatively you can adjust exposure manually to compensate.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Using bounce flash

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    How about diffuser, the camera is also aware ?
    or no compensation is needed when using diffuser.
    Post #2 has already answer your question.

    the camera meter is reading the flash light thru the lens, and the flash has to output more light for bounce or using diffuser, working range will be reduced.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •