Thread: Shooting for events

Default Shooting for events

Hi! I am new to dSLR photography so I would like to ask which modes do u guys usually use for event shootings? P, S, A or M?

The event I am shooting for should be mostly indoors but I suppose there would be some outdoor activities as well..

Thanks!

Default Re: Shooting for events

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi.lum View Post
    Hi! I am new to dSLR photography so I would like to ask which modes do u guys usually use for event shootings? P, S, A or M?

The event I am shooting for should be mostly indoors but I suppose there would be some outdoor activities as well..

Thanks!
    it depends on your style. i shoot entirely in Manual. i control ISO, WB, shutter and apeture. some people shoot Program, some shoot Apeture priority, some shoot shutter priority. you have to shoot and figure out which works for you, not follow what other people do.

IN general though, "newer" photogs are encouraged to use A,S or P. i started out with M because i started with a manual film camera.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

well the best settings would be "Auto" for newbie.
    not too hassle about it.

use Manual, when the time comes perhaps a lil bit more better.
    just keep practising.
    Nikon D300s|D80|11-16 f2.8|17-50 f2.8|70-200 f2.8|35 f1.8|SB800|

Quote Originally Posted by ziincx View Post
    not too hassle about it.

use Manual, when the time comes perhaps a lil bit more better.
    just keep practising.
    I disagree, because that way you take longer to learn. (and some people don't learn at all ) Unless the "newbie" pays attention to what kind of settings the camera automatically chooses for them.

Of course, that is assuming the person wants to learn and understands the basic relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    I disagree, because that way you take longer to learn. (and some people don't learn at all ) Unless the "newbie" pays attention to what kind of settings the camera automatically chooses for them.

Of course, that is assuming the person wants to learn and understands the basic relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and exposure.
    yeah i know.
    but sometimes there's a need for auto for starter but its not recommended
    if you're not willing to learn something new, once awhile would be alright.

well to learn and understand, try out every mode & settings.
    im sure there's lot of ppl here can help with good perspective of indoor photography.

Nikon D300s|D80|11-16 f2.8|17-50 f2.8|70-200 f2.8|35 f1.8|SB800|

Quote Originally Posted by ziincx View Post
    not too hassle about it.
    The hassle I can see will be the organizer staff coming and telling you to switch off your flash. In Auto mode all cams will pop out the flash instantly when there is not enough light. Best is to start with P and fine tune the parameters suggested by the camera. In addition, it's advisable to a) know the basics of photography and camera by heart and b) be there earlier and take enough test shoots. This should be enough to get some first results and a feeling for the light.

thanks for ur suggestions guys!

the worry i m worried of is that i might take a bit long to tune the settings and miss out some of the actions.. i guess maybe i start with P first and move on to change the settings when time allows.

i've just gotten my D40 recently so I havnt really know the camera's functions by heart.. this will cause some delay when i fiddle with the camera.
    Last edited by takeshi.lum; 3rd September 2008 at 09:48 PM.

i would say use appreture piority =) (A)

Shooting events sometimes you wont have a extra second to think what appreture you want or need, so (P) comes along =D

Thats what i feel though
    EOS400D|BG-E3|18-55mm f/3.5 IS|17-85mm f/4 IS USM|430EXII

Quote Originally Posted by payne1599 View Post
    i would say use appreture piority =) (A)

Shooting events sometimes you wont have a extra second to think what appreture you want or need, so (P) comes along =D

Thats what i feel though
    thats what i feel too

cause everything will be going so fast and i need to keep snapping.. i guess will stick with P first.. its all abt composing the pics now

If shoot in 'M', how to get candid shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post

And why not? I shoot in M, i shoot candids as well. At least in my case, I'm familiar enough with my camera and basic lighting that i can estimate the shutter speed, iso and aperture settings immediately, and then i just take a quick glance at the meter, and i shoot. takes less than 3 seconds to do that on a bad day.

All this of course is done with the eye to the view finder, so i don't see why one can't shoot candids in Manual.

P.s. How do you think people shot candids or sports with manual film cameras in the past?

haa yup yup~~ I still working towards the day i shoot M too.. but i spend most of my time at Av priority since I'm a lazy photog~ haaa... why Av? Coz you set the aperture value (Low for shallow DOF and more bokeh, High for wide DOF for more clarity) and the camera does the rest! of coz keep your eyes on the meter too yup! for tricky light situations you can quickly switch to M mode and use the values shown on your viewfinder (with adjustment) and you're there! =] or at least tahts what I'm doing~ Aperture priority is like what makes a DSLR a DSLR rather than a compact yah? Have fun! =]
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

possible to shoot A or S with external flash without over exposing?
    unless exposure compensating, it's practically impossible right?

Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    I shoot almost extensively on M, so maybe you can try and guess how I got these:

If you think about it, indoors the light does not fluctuate much, perhaps at the most one stop from area to area. Knowing how to 'read' light relatively is one way of getting your exposure almost entirely spot on with M.

Learn how to read light, and how to predictively set your camera's exposure (let's say if your subject is in a spot darker than the rest of the room) in relation to the room's exposure values.

Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    possible to shoot A or S with external flash without over exposing?
    unless exposure compensating, it's practically impossible right?
    Yeah, practically speaking, it is quite impossible. The only way around in an AE mode is to underexpose with your exposure compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I shoot almost extensively on M, so maybe you can try and guess how I got these:

If you think about it, indoors the light does not fluctuate much, perhaps at the most one stop from area to area. Knowing how to 'read' light relatively is one way of getting your exposure almost entirely spot on with M.

Learn how to read light, and how to predictively set your camera's exposure (let's say if your subject is in a spot darker than the rest of the room) in relation to the room's exposure values.
    HAhah...
    Perhapes you are rite.
    Its possible to shoot Candid in 'M'.

I must be lazy to be using everything else except 'M' all these while.