Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lens Restriction for Singapore F1

Default Re: Lens Restriction for Singapore F1

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    buy a helicopter and fly over the track. got birds eye view.
    Since the suggestions are getting a little out of this world, may I suggest renting your own F1 cars and organizing a photoshoot?

I've come across lots of such restrictions in the U.S. for concerts, sports events, etc. It sucks. If you're just there for the photography, I suggest not going. On the other hand, if you're there to watch a F1 race, why not just take some snaps of you and your friends enjoying the day? You don't need a 300mm for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Since the suggestions are getting a little out of this world, may I suggest renting your own F1 cars and organizing a photoshoot?

I've come across lots of such restrictions in the U.S. for concerts, sports events, etc. It sucks. If you're just there for the photography, I suggest not going. On the other hand, if you're there to watch a F1 race, why not just take some snaps of you and your friends enjoying the day? You don't need a 300mm for that.
    that was kind of my point in suggesting the more implausible solutions. haha was leading up to it.
    Last edited by vonlichenstein; 4th September 2008 at 11:56 AM.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

good idea...let's start collecting a fund to buy a F1 car and rent out to fellow photographers for shoot....haha
    on a serious note, this is quite true. some organisers make money out of selling the exclusive rights to the event to certain photographers or media. it is a commercial agreement that you have to agree to attend the event. However, if you manage to take shots from outside, which probably has little commercial value due to the 'defences' they put up, then u r probably free from the agreement.... another thing is comfort and safety...imagine a whole crowd using 300mm lens and swinging here and there......hahha
    Last edited by godzilla60; 4th September 2008 at 05:22 PM.
    G

actually i prefer to watch the race & enjoy the sound of roaring V8's rather than trying to shoot the cars
    My flickr! Album - Sony a6000 (CZ 24-70) / CZ 85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/montoyasg/

i think it is really going to be a good experience in there itself and so taking photos should not be too critical ....

I wonder whats the risk of Mas Selamat "visiting" Singapore for the F1 GP with some "fireworks", since the incompetent ISD practically lost him
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

You know some thermos flask come with a carrier or bag? Sneak in your telephoto lens using that lor. :P

Get caught your problem of course.

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    You know some thermos flask come with a carrier or bag? Sneak in your telephoto lens using that lor. :P

Get caught your problem of course.
    well if you get caught all your f1 related photos will become property of Formula One Administration Ltd
    My flickr! Album - Sony a6000 (CZ 24-70) / CZ 85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/montoyasg/

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    buy a helicopter and fly over the track. got birds eye view.
    hahaha...this doesn't work either, because Bernie owns the airspace too. Look what happed to Ferrari in Monte Carlo.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
    hahaha...this doesn't work either, because Bernie owns the airspace too. Look what happed to Ferrari in Monte Carlo.
    so i guess you cannot bring your 200-400? can?

Quote Originally Posted by xl1 View Post
    so i guess you cannot bring your 200-400? can?
    hur hur promise to use it at 200mm-300mm only.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Good news for all shooters: F1 Organisers have lifted their camera lens restrictions.

Kudos to the organisers for allowing common sense to prevail...

(QUOTE)

Notice to SGP Ticket Holders

Dear Valued Customer,

With less than a month to go until our historic race, we are delighted to highlight some of the key points to note to make your time with us as enjoyable as possible. Over the coming weeks we will be sharing more insider tips that we hope you will find useful.

We have received some very valuable feedback from ticket holders since we started selling tickets in February this year. As a result of which we have revised several of our published Terms and Conditions.

Cameras and Tripods

Thanks for your feedback here and again we have some positive changes to report. The restriction on lens focal length and tripods (including monopods) has been removed. However, tripods and monopods may not be used in grandstands or in locations where they may block other spectators views. All are now allowed subject to a strict personal use policy. The rights to all images belong to Formula One Management Ltd, and cannot be used for any commercial purpose without the express approval of the company. By agreeing to enter the circuit, you have agreed that the images captured are solely for your personal (amateur) use only. We reserve the right to remove any photographic/videographic equipment from the park should we feel are meant for commercial purposes.

With that, we hope that you will have an enjoyable race.

Yours Sincerely

Singapore GP Pte Ltd

(UNQUOTE)

Remember the durian opening period where no camera man with
    a DSLR would be allow to take pictures of the building
    and its surrounding kicking off a big roar from Csers here.

Perhaps the restriction would help others with tickets and
    not interested in taking pictures to get a more enjoyable
    view and feel of the race.

As a second thought too much restrictions would defeat the
    generous and properous outcome that could be generated
    of the present and even future events of any nature.

I've just received an email from Singapore GP organisers. No more lens focal length restrictions. But of course, still can't use the photos for commercial uses. Tripods and monopods not allowed at grandstand area or areas where you'll block the other spectator's view (duh).

Quote Originally Posted by timlim View Post
    Good news for all shooters: F1 Organisers have lifted their camera lens restrictions.

Kudos to the organisers for allowing common sense to prevail...

(QUOTE)

Notice to SGP Ticket Holders

Cameras and Tripods

Thanks for your feedback here and again we have some positive changes to report. The restriction on lens focal length and tripods (including monopods) has been removed. However, tripods and monopods may not be used in grandstands or in locations where they may block other spectators views. All are now allowed subject to a strict personal use policy. The rights to all images belong to Formula One Management Ltd, and cannot be used for any commercial purpose without the express approval of the company. By agreeing to enter the circuit, you have agreed that the images captured are solely for your personal (amateur) use only. We reserve the right to remove any photographic/videographic equipment from the park should we feel are meant for commercial purposes.

With that, we hope that you will have an enjoyable race.

Yours Sincerely

Singapore GP Pte Ltd

(UNQUOTE)
    Finally fairness and common sense prevailed.

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    I've just received an email from Singapore GP organisers. No more lens focal length restrictions. But of course, still can't use the photos for commercial uses. Tripods and monopods not allowed at grandstand area or areas where you'll block the other spectator's view (duh).
    timlim posted the complete text a few posts back. Yours is a good summary though. You only left out : "We reserve the right to remove any photographic/videographic equipment from the park should we feel are meant for commercial purposes." which could mean nothing or lots of misery, depending on how they choose to enforce this.

Try not to give the person sitting in front of you a concussion when panning with your 600mm f/4 - that's not what they mean when they say your photo has a lot of impact

Iam worried that even if there isnt any lens restrictions, still might not be able to take photos.
    The darn barriers F1 SGP is erecting all over the circuit are like mega high.
    Somemore the cars so low.
    How leh

Yes!!! Finally, we can now bring in our barang barang (within reason).

Just received the email from Singapore GP, this morning as well. Forwarded by our ad agency.

I am so happy now that I can bring in my 70-200 without too much hassling at the gate.
    Canon 40D|EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS|70-200mm L f/4 IS|50&85mm f/1.8|EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5|580 EXII

Quote Originally Posted by achanwk View Post
    Iam worried that even if there isnt any lens restrictions, still might not be able to take photos.
    The darn barriers F1 SGP is erecting all over the circuit are like mega high.
    Somemore the cars so low.
    How leh
    Best to get walkabout tickets. But then need to plan where to walk to get good shoots.

I guess many photographers and photo community complained about the lens restriction and tripod. Got an email from Singapore GP and below is the quotation regarding lens and tripod use during the F1 Race:

Dear Valued Customer,

With less than a month to go until our historic race, we are delighted to highlight some of the key points to note to make your time with us as enjoyable as possible. Over the coming weeks we will be sharing more insider tips that we hope you will find useful.

We have received some very valuable feedback from ticket holders since we started selling tickets in February this year. As a result of which we have revised several of our published Terms and Conditions.

"Cameras and Tripods

Thanks for your feedback here and again we have some positive changes to report. The restriction on lens focal length and tripods (including monopods) has been removed. However, tripods and monopods may not be used in grandstands or in locations where they may block other spectators views. All are now allowed subject to a strict personal use policy. The rights to all images belong to Formula One Management Ltd, and cannot be used for any commercial purpose without the express approval of the company. By agreeing to enter the circuit, you have agreed that the images captured are solely for your personal (amateur) use only. We reserve the right to remove any photographic/videographic equipment from the park should we feel are meant for commercial purposes."

Any comments??? Reaction???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast