Thread: Studio Shoots

Default Studio Shoots

Hi All,

I am new to studio photography. My purpose is to shoot children's clothing, wallets, pouches and ladies' bags.

I am thinking of setting up a mini studio at home to do the above for indoor shoots.
    Also, at times, I will do some outdoor shoots as well.

Anyone can recommend me what to buy and watch out for to start with both indoor and outdoor product shoots equipment?

Hopefully i can do it for less than $1000.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Studio Shoots

get a light tent (around $40-$150 depending on the size), which you can use with either continuous or strobe lights. I think your $1000 is more than enough for your home studio, especially with the subjects you had in mind.

I wish I had $1000 to burn then I'd have a very sweet mini-studio setup

Default Re: Studio Shoots

Have u visited yet?
    Think it is the perfect site to get u started on all your DIY lighting & studio gear and techniques.
    For your budget, think it will be a nice idea to start off buying some inexpensive 2nd hand flash units, like Nikon SB24, 26s, or other brands, off ebay or here in CS. They can be had for around less than 200 dollars a piece & are more convenient to bring out for outdoor shoots too. Not to mention u can use DIY snoots & colored gel filters from swatchbooks, saving u quite a fair bit of money while getting started.
    Buy some light stands, umbrellas, softboxes & umbrella holders depending on your needs. You can go to the local site to get some really good & inexpensive equipment for your studio, plus they do delivery too.
    Next is to buy sync cords to hook the strobes up to one another, or u can buy some of the ebay radio triggers to fire them wirelessly. If you are willing to spend a bit more for really solid wireless triggers as the ebay triggers tend to misfire sometimes, look into buying a set of Elinchrom Skyport transmitter & receivers, if you can't afford to buy Pocket Wizards.
    I also chanced upon this video from youtube which explains a little more about product lighting tecniques, u may find this interesting.
    Visit the dude's channel, he has some other interesting videos too.
    Hope some of this information helps. But u definitely can do a portable home studio for less than 1000 dollars, but more importantly before that is to read up more about lighting, so that u will know what to buy and what not to buy.