Thread: D300 Flash sync speed

Default D300 Flash sync speed

This may be a dumb question. But how come when using the built in flash my sync speed is limited to 1/320, but with a sb-600 i have no limit on the shutter speed?

Default Re: D300 Flash sync speed

Because they have different specs. Read your manual.
    Alpha

...Well duh. I'm asking why

As i understand it sync speed is limited by the movement of the shutter planes across the sensor. At higher shutter speeds only a fraction of the sensor is exposed at the instant of flash and thus you would get a band of light over the area exposed when the flash fired.

Since this is a property of the camera body why would putting a different light change this?

just curious. why is there no max sync speed when the sb600 is used? i thought its at 1/250?

Quote Originally Posted by Deluen View Post
    ...Well duh. I'm asking why

As i understand it sync speed is limited by the movement of the shutter planes across the sensor. At higher shutter speeds only a fraction of the sensor is exposed at the instant of flash and thus you would get a band of light over the area exposed when the flash fired.

Since this is a property of the camera body why would putting a different light change this?
    Read your D300 user's Manual, page 289.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    just curious. why is there no max sync speed when the sb600 is used? i thought its at 1/250?
    Because with the SB600, the shutter and the flash are somehow able to synchronise at higher speeds?

P.S- there is a maximum speed, its the camera's maximum shutterspeed

Quote Originally Posted by Deluen View Post
    This may be a dumb question. But how come when using the built in flash my sync speed is limited to 1/320, but with a sb-600 i have no limit on the shutter speed?
    Some flash power is lost to achieve this "limitless" syncing. At shutter speeds higher than 1/320, the second curtain starts to close before the first curtain is fully opened. Therefore, only a slit of the sensor is exposed at any time instance. SB-600 gives out many short pulses to make sure that everywhere on the sensor is equally lit, instead of a single strong pulse when shutter speed is below 1/320. The built-in flash simply doesn't have enough power to lose to perform a focal plane flash (FP-flash).

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    Because with the SB600, the shutter and the flash are somehow able to synchronise at higher speeds?

P.S- there is a maximum speed, its the camera's maximum shutterspeed
    haha. got such things meh? unless u tell me using high speed sync.

yup. read the manual

the explanation of how it worked above does sound like high speed sync to me.

Quote Originally Posted by grantyale View Post
    Some flash power is lost to achieve this "limitless" syncing. At shutter speeds higher than 1/320, the second curtain starts to close before the first curtain is fully opened. Therefore, only a slit of the sensor is exposed at any time instance. SB-600 gives out many short pulses to make sure that everywhere on the sensor is equally lit, instead of a single strong pulse when shutter speed is below 1/320. The built-in flash simply doesn't have enough power to lose to perform a focal plane flash (FP-flash).
    Ah okay, that makes much more sense. Thanks =)