View Poll Results: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • X number of edited photos for each hour of service engaged, could be 5 to 25.

    45 26.79%
  • 300

    53 31.55%
  • Return all images shot for the day.

    62 36.90%
  • Others, pls elaborate.

    14 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66

Thread: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

  1. #41
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Not sure why you are asking me, I have no idea. You can try asking Priscilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    The problem is, does the photographer say that he is not compensating? Have they approach him yet?

  2. #42
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    If someone does a shoddy renovation job, such as bad paintwork, bad carpentry, they can go to Small Claims to lodge a case. In the same way, for bad photos, they can do the same.

    Non-payment is only one manner of breach of contract.

    And yes, Small Claims is a civil suit. I'm not sure why you thought otherwise.
    The issue here is, have the photographer refuse to compensate the couple? Or have they ask for it? Not sure why you going further than needed when the road is even walked.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Not sure why you are asking me, I have no idea. You can try asking Priscilla?
    Precisely! Then why the cause of road to going down to Small Claim is suggested by you without finding out whether they have asked for it?

  4. #44
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Don't lawyer's always suggest to meet with the people involved for possible settlement before going to Court?

  5. #45

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    I'm drafting a package, where they choose the no. of rolls. Etc, for 1 day malay wedding, choose between 4-8 rolls. I'm thinking that I would shot the same no. of pics regardless no. of rolls they choose, but only return the soft copies according to the rolls they wanted earlier., ie, for a 4 rolls package, mean 4 rolls of the best that I shot; same as the printouts. While the rest I keep and dun even show them? Hmm.. Any comments?

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Quote Originally Posted by mutant View Post
    I'm drafting a package, where they choose the no. of rolls. Etc, for 1 day malay wedding, choose between 4-8 rolls. I'm thinking that I would shot the same no. of pics regardless no. of rolls they choose, but only return the soft copies according to the rolls they wanted earlier., ie, for a 4 rolls package, mean 4 rolls of the best that I shot; same as the printouts. While the rest I keep and dun even show them? Hmm.. Any comments?
    sounds really really complicated and hard to sell. I would definitely simplify it. Make it easy for your clients to buy from you. why not just say $1000 for 100 images returned, each additional is $10. sometimes it's not the price that scares people off but that it's just so complicated to buy from you they get scared away.

  7. #47
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Well, perhaps you can make an appointment with a lawyer to find out . Not sure what the bone to pick here is.

    If the only advice you want from a lawyer is "Try to talk with the other side first", then I'm sure the lawyers you pay for advice will be very happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    The issue here is, have the photographer refuse to compensate the couple? Or have they ask for it? Not sure why you going further than needed when the road is even walked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    Precisely! Then why the cause of road to going down to Small Claim is suggested by you without finding out whether they have asked for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    Don't lawyer's always suggest to meet with the people involved for possible settlement before going to Court?

  8. #48
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Nope, that is not the issue you have raised in post #39. Go back and refresh your memory by reading it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    The issue here is, have the photographer refuse to compensate the couple? Or have they ask for it? Not sure why you going further than needed when the road is even walked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homme @ Post #39
    In this case, are photos not taken? Or not given? Small Claim can do no payment but can they be the judge of good or bad work? That sounds more like civil suit case.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    If I remember correctly, my Biz law lecturer love to emphasis the point that "The law does not protect stupid people"...do excuse my language

    As far as contract is concern, $1 is a good enough consideration for a payment and as far as blur picture is concern....this is up to the individual's interpretation...so...its back to square one..I can see 2 scenario to this ending:

    1. Photographer's integrity /ethics
    Sudden awaking of the photographer's conscious and decided to compensate couple for lousy job

    2. Couple sue for damages
    Sue for emotional damages and loss of intangible assets (i.e valuable memories...etc etc)


    my 2 cents worth... Good Luck

  10. #50
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Well, perhaps you can make an appointment with a lawyer to find out . Not sure what the bone to pick here is.

    If the only advice you want from a lawyer is "Try to talk with the other side first", then I'm sure the lawyers you pay for advice will be very happy.
    I did, my case last time with my lawyer was done as I was mentioned. That usually be the first course of action. Things go step by step.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Nope, that is not the issue you have raised in post #39. Go back and refresh your memory by reading it again.
    Issue here is perhaps the possibility to settle the issue BEFORE going to court. So far most lawyer friends I have advise this to me/clients. Not sure why you going further, neither have Priscilla ask the next course of action.......

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Hey guys, both of you are right on different perspectives. The argument is not on how much images should be given to buyers (as of this thread) but on quality and litigation. Itís a subjective issue, unless view and judge by a few of you whom are in the wedding photography trade.

    The objectives of my poll are:
    1) to gauge what are out there as a practice
    2) to set expectation both from buyers and sellers
    3) to prevent argument and litigation

    As an association, WPAS may need to set up a sub-committee to mitigate or judge whatís acceptable quality and whatís not, but only for members. Itís an issue we can discuss in our next networking.
    just1book, no kidding!

  13. #53
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Wrong, that is not the issue raised in your post #39, which I was responding to; it was only brought up later.

    I quote your post 39 again for your easy reference - please read and tell me where does it raise the possibility of settlement:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    In this case, are photos not taken? Or not given? Small Claim can do no payment but can they be the judge of good or bad work? That sounds more like civil suit case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    Issue here is perhaps the possibility to settle the issue BEFORE going to court. So far most lawyer friends I have advise this to me/clients. Not sure why you going further, neither have Priscilla ask the next course of action.......
    In any case, I did not say that lawyers do not advise settlement, read my post again. Also, anyone is free to provide their comments here, whether or not the originating comment has asked for a "course of action". You have also provided your raising of settlement as a possibility just in the same way that Priscilla did not ask for it.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    I did, please re-read my post #39 which question the small claim's ability to judge an art which you answer without any relevent to current case. Cleaner or not is not art, thus no issues here.

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Wrong, that is not the issue raised in your post #39, which I was responding to; it was only brought up later.
    I have no idea since I am no lawyer but you seem to have a good idea how the settlement and judgement be made the the quality of the photos is bad or not. Do let us know.
    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I quote your post 39 again for your easy reference - please read and tell me where does it raise the possibility of settlement:
    I merely pointed out the step that your suggestion lacked. As you mentioned that anyone is free to point out and comment here, as am I. That being no point in mentioning that anyone can comment and later to ask me to justify it. Or your comment is not to be commented against? If no, I am free to question it.

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    In any case, I did not say that lawyers do not advise settlement, read my post again. Also, anyone is free to provide their comments here, whether or not the originating comment has asked for a "course of action". You have also provided your raising of settlement as a possibility just in the same way that Priscilla did not ask for it.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    In any case, I did not say that lawyers do not advise settlement, read my post again.
    Read my post again and yours again. I questioned that "Don't lawyer's always suggest to meet with the people involved for possible settlement before going to Court?" Is it a matter of fact or question? Did I say that you do not advise settlement? Perhaps going further than necessary.

    And I quote "If the only advice you want from a lawyer is "Try to talk with the other side first", then I'm sure the lawyers you pay for advice will be very happy." Seem to suggest otherwise.

  16. #56

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    I believe in givig them good prints (maybe around 200) but will give them all the pics taken without pp (in DVD).

    Also, just to add, since you're paid for the shots, all the pics during the period you're employed by them, belong to the clients, not to you.
    Last edited by shahrulesa; 13th December 2008 at 11:50 AM.
    Shahrul Esa

  17. #57

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    I am not a pro but I would like to share what I feel is appropriate.

    Customer should pay only for what is good and what they want. This should be fair for both parties and gives Photograpers the incentive to improve on their quality.

    As a pro, you should at least do a first cut to remove any shots that failed to make the grade. This is to ensure that you only shows your best and I believe it is a normal practice.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Quote Originally Posted by perspective View Post
    As a pro, you should at least do a first cut to remove any shots that failed to make the grade. This is to ensure that you only shows your best and I believe it is a normal practice.
    Giving a sub-standard photos would only spoilt your reputation as a Wedding Photographers...

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kampong Punggol, Singapore, Si
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    think there is a lot of practice.

    I dont really see the issue of giving "all" photos. After all the "all" is define by us. I dont think the client would want to look through 1000 - 2000 pics. Guess they will fall asleep by then.

    Its impt to filter off all the cmi e.g. blur, dono wat u shooting type of shot. The so so shots (unless its very impt shot).

    I think it will be good to give them "all" the photos, as they will not come back to you to say "hey can you help me print 2x pic 123, 1 x pic 125" then another month come back and ask for a few more prints. How much can we earn for that few 4R photos?

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: How many images should be given for a wedding client?

    Poll is closed since it is so old. But the thread is still open for discussions.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •