Thread: Canon 10-22 Focusing Problem?

Default Canon 10-22 Focusing Problem?

Hi all. I have been shooting a few photos recently and am usually on the 10-wide end. I found out that a few times, the focusing gives me a bit of a problem. instead of focusing at the subjects who are standing about 2m in front of me, i find that the lens is focusing at infinity , the background, so my subjects are clearly out of focussed, i believe i dont need to post a photo to further explain myself here.

For a group shot of about 3, I am shooting f5.6 / f8 and focusing on the centre person's face, so there is no reason for my lens not to register this properly.

Help guys?
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

Default Re: Canon 10-22 Focusing Problem?

back focus? Send to CSC for calibration.
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

10mm at about 2m, persons in photos maybe small so if u focus on the person face and it's not high contrast enough the focus can be locked somewhere else at background. Remember the focusing area is way larger than the small square in the view finder.

Are you selecting a focusing point or letting the camera decide?

Center-focus only, and i usually target the center person's face/contrasty clothes with 580ex attached on top. But otherwise it's pretty sharp when focused on the right target. So a possibility could be back focus problem?

So you're saying that even with a center focus point, you are getting focus lock by putting your focus point over your intended subjects, but in the end you still have backfocus, after the focus lock is achieved?

Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    Hi all. I have been shooting a few photos recently and am usually on the 10-wide end. I found out that a few times, the focusing gives me a bit of a problem. instead of focusing at the subjects who are standing about 2m in front of me, i find that the lens is focusing at infinity , the background, so my subjects are clearly out of focussed, i believe i dont need to post a photo to further explain myself here.

For a group shot of about 3, I am shooting f5.6 / f8 and focusing on the centre person's face, so there is no reason for my lens not to register this properly.

Help guys?
    Common for wide-angle lenses. Aim at the person's chest/waist instead. The face offers very little contrast.

Alright, good advice i guess. Since most people (when using non-UWA lenses) say AIM the eye aim the face, but with the UWA it doesnt always work, cos it does make sense that by putting the face in the focus area, im actually getting the interface between the person's facial contour lines and the background.

tsanks man.