Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is there work/life balance in your career ?

Default Re: is there work/life balance in your career ?

u found new job to jump over liao?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    u found new job to jump over liao?
    No...My notice serving period is 3 mths....so pretty hard to look for a new one also right now....So I decided to quit first, then say later Most to most go for a short holiday to recharge if there is no job coming....take some nice nice picture with my then newly acquired D700 to slowly appreciate in the future

Work/life balance = Pain + Pleasure

if

x salary</= $3000

then

work/life =/= balance

else

work <age = 85>

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    No...My notice serving period is 3 mths....so pretty hard to look for a new one also right now....So I decided to quit first, then say later Most to most go for a short holiday to recharge if there is no job coming....take some nice nice picture with my then newly acquired D700 to slowly appreciate in the future
    wah, so long wan ah? i serve 1 month oso like hell liao. 30 days of hell is for me, 90 days...

wish you luck for new job.

Indeed for those 3 months job usually are resign 1st, then 1 mth before end of contract then start looking for job.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

if there is a job offered , i would advise take it up first becos the economy is not going smooth in months ahead.

Govt is always talking about this but in actual fact is there any balance? Lots of jobs have 5 day weeks but sometimes I feel 5.5 week is still better as there will be more balance.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Work/life balance = Pain + Pleasure

if

x salary</= $3000

then

work/life =/= balance

else

work <age = 85>

Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    Govt is always talking about this but in actual fact is there any balance? Lots of jobs have 5 day weeks but sometimes I feel 5.5 week is still better as there will be more balance.
    5.5 work days allows you to spread your workload across the week but the downside is that the weekends feel so short...and the sat you would normally feel a bit tired to go out, which is something just like army days...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 13th September 2008 at 01:57 PM.

5 days work is in name, we are not supposed to come back to office during weekend, cause we are supposed to promote work life balance, but on the other hand, we got deadline hanging on us, so effectively that's telling me to stay back in office after work till night to get it done right?
    (this is "work life balance" but coming back on weekend is not) Work life balance is unfortunately pretty much only in name as far as some workplace is concerned

Yes, everyone reaches a point whereby we pause in our work life, and we wonder..."is that it?"
    Yes, i am thinking of resigning as well. A lot of "unhappiness" built up over time as well... Probably gotta take a paycut and start doing some other things.

Kudos to those who made that decision . It 's not an easy one but the satisfaction of knowing that we are in control of our life is ...

Good reading " What should I do with my life (Po Bronson). ps: it's not one of those cheesy self help book

I have too much life but not enough work.

Don't know that's the right balance or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I have too much life but not enough work.

Don't know that's the right balance or not.
    if not sure, then the balance is somewhere in between, the healthy range.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    5.5 work days allows you to spread your workload across the week but the downside is that the weekends feel so short...and the sat you would normally feel a bit tired to go out, which is something just like army days...
    The other day I applied for a job as an Operations Manager in a lang. sch, they called up to ask if I was ok with a 6 day week (9-6pm). What do you think of that? Zero work/life balance.

those in retail oso work long hours already. lucky 1s got split shifts. not so lucky 1s work from open till shop close. some festive periods got midnite sale. not always but adds to overall gloom.

somemore now its being promoted as the "in" job...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    I really prefer 5 days. Stay late 5 days is far better than staying late 6 days. If one extra hour per day (already tacked on by a lot of companies) 5 days a week is not enough, 5.5 days won't be either.

But I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Short hours with little OT. Pay not so good, but at least got time to enjoy.

You can do like most people who work and work and work then retired (if can) to enjoy what they wanted to at old age (if they still have the energy and health) OR
    You can take instalment, work for few years, take a break for many months or years and continue until you had enough ba.

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse View Post
    You can do like most people who work and work and work then retired (if can) to enjoy what they wanted to at old age (if they still have the energy and health) OR
    You can take instalment, work for few years, take a break for many months or years and continue until you had enough ba.
    Is it even possible to do that? A few months no job only and a lot of interviewers are already looking askance at me. As though only nuts will quit their jobs before having another in hand... Plus we always hear that those SAHMs who try to go back to workforce cannot find work.

u guys work OT just tat few hours till 8pm or 9pm and complain so much liao..

I used to get less than < $2.5k WITHOUT OT PAY, and i NEED to work till 1 or 2 am for months without break and then wake up morning at 7am and continue, i also nv complain at all..

u guys are in heaven but yet complaining u are in hell, wat the heck man..
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

if work like slave & still at it, give ur boss the boot.

y allow boss to rule like a tribal warlord?

[QUOTE=AlteredVision;4355308]Is it even possible to do that? A few months no job only and a lot of interviewers are already looking askance at me. As though only nuts will quit their jobs before having another in hand... Plus we always hear that those SAHMs who try to go back to workforce cannot find work.[/QUOTE

Left my last job a few months ago and still looking. I agree with you that the interviewers/ employment agents give you that stare like everyone must work, work, work all the time. Cannot take a short break. They cannot believe that it is taking so long to get another job either. Sigh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast