Thread: RAW & JPEG direct from camera o/p differences

Default RAW & JPEG direct from camera o/p differences

Hi all, i'm using a EOS 40D with 17-55 IS USM and took this sample here. I usually shoot in RAW but recently tried out the RAW + fine L(JEPG) and noticed that the direct from camera output of these two format has a noticeable difference in terms of (1)Sharpness and (2)Colour. As for in-camera settings, i do tried to disable any form of noise reduction and output is as bad. SW used for opening RAW is DPP while JEPG is IE.

However, if i open the RAW file in DPP, and with no tweaking done, i converted the file to JPEG, the JPEG output quality is very much similiar to that of the RAW file. I know JPEG is 8bit while RAW is 14bit but why do i get a difference in JPEG output from camera and DPP?

Can someone enlighten me? TIA!

[Canon EOS 5D II + 40D | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II] [Fuji X-Pro1 + XF35mm f/1.4]

Default Re: RAW & JPEG direct from camera o/p differences

EXIF of the sample:

Creation date: 8/14/2008 12:52
    Camera: Canon EOS 40D
    Lens: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Focal length: 55*mm
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Exposure time: 1/60"
    ISO speed rating: 800/30
    Program: Manual (Manual)
    Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
    White Balance: Auto
    Focus Mode: Single-point AF
    Noise Reduction: Off
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

However, do note that in any kind of settings, i do get the same result as i mentioned above. Posting of the EXIF however is just for additional information if required.

Thanks!!
    [Canon EOS 5D II + 40D | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II] [Fuji X-Pro1 + XF35mm f/1.4]

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Hi all, i'm using a EOS 40D with 17-55 IS USM and took this sample here. I usually shoot in RAW but recently tried out the RAW + fine L(JEPG) and noticed that the direct from camera output of these two format has a noticeable difference in terms of (1)Sharpness and (2)Colour. As for in-camera settings, i do tried to disable any form of noise reduction and output is as bad. SW used for opening RAW is DPP while JEPG is IE.

However, if i open the RAW file in DPP, and with no tweaking done, i converted the file to JPEG, the JPEG output quality is very much similiar to that of the RAW file. I know JPEG is 8bit while RAW is 14bit but why do i get a difference in JPEG output from camera and DPP?

Can someone enlighten me? TIA!
    simply becos the jpg out of camera have already been processed with a different saturated/contrast/sharpness... etc, those setting can be found in the camera. on the other hand, none of this settings are applied on the RAW(thats why its call RAW).

I see... Thanks for the reply. i do agree with your point, but i actually had the sharpness set to the maximum. Being said this, i should expect a sharper image? am i right? let's not talk abt the colour first...

I see... Thanks for the reply. i do agree with your point, but i actually had the sharpness set to the maximum. Being said this, i should expect a sharper image? am i right? let's not talk abt the colour first...
    Only in the JPEG. Sharpness, color saturation, etc, are all JPEG post-processing options, not RAW.
    Alpha

Digital Photo Professional uses different algorithms and parameters for the conversion than the camera. Note that Canon includes two different raw converters with its cameras - I believe the other one is called "raw image task" and is supposed to emulate closely the way the camera processes the images.

yes, like what littlewolf said, each camera have its processor tweaked, unless the RAW converter have got the complete profile of the camera, it will not render a image that is the same as what you get shooting JPG. Its also why some RAW converter are known to give better color than others... etc.

more info can be seen in dpreview

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Only in the JPEG. Sharpness, color saturation, etc, are all JPEG post-processing options, not RAW.
    sorry i don;t quite get what you mean. care to explain further? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    yes, like what littlewolf said, each camera have its processor tweaked, unless the RAW converter have got the complete profile of the camera, it will not render a image that is the same as what you get shooting JPG. Its also why some RAW converter are known to give better color than others... etc.

more info can be seen in dpreview
    With that link i sure get a much clearer picture. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Digital Photo Professional uses different algorithms and parameters for the conversion than the camera. Note that Canon includes two different raw converters with its cameras - I believe the other one is called "raw image task" and is supposed to emulate closely the way the camera processes the images.
    Thanks. i actually do get quite similiar reply from DPreview forum.