Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: a bowl of chilli

  1. #1

    Default a bowl of chilli

    Hello evryone~!!

    Took this using natural light (about 9 am to be exact)..no flash was involved..
    Used my 50mm f1.8 for this shot..

    do comment if there is anything i can work on... be it the shot or the editing.. Gracias! =)


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,410

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Colors are divided into warm colors and cool colors.

    IMHO, the contrast are a bit stark and there's no story behind it. Did you mean to 'tell something' or to do a snap?
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  3. #3

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    Colors are divided into warm colors and cool colors.

    IMHO, the contrast are a bit stark and there's no story behind it. Did you mean to 'tell something' or to do a snap?
    oh i was actually just snapping away... i thought the green and red contrast was the objective of this photo.. yes i do need constructive feedback so that i know where i went wrong..

    Thanks! =)

  4. #4

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    The chilli looks fresh, but doesn't look real.

    1) Colors are over saturated.
    2) No texture
    3) Need DOF control

    Storywise - A bowl of chilli. The imagery formed in mind is Hot & Spicy. I would recommend to set the scene. Maybe can cut and show the insides of the chilli, scatter chilli seeds where appropriate.

  5. #5

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by coffee3in1 View Post
    The chilli looks fresh, but doesn't look real.

    1) Colors are over saturated.
    2) No texture
    3) Need DOF control

    Storywise - A bowl of chilli. The imagery formed in mind is Hot & Spicy. I would recommend to set the scene. Maybe can cut and show the insides of the chilli, scatter chilli seeds where appropriate.

    oh... i see i seee.... so (sorry for being ignorant, but i'm really learning now..) still life photography does need something like "a story" behind the captured shot?


    Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by Noretta10 View Post
    oh... i see i seee.... so (sorry for being ignorant, but i'm really learning now..) still life photography does need something like "a story" behind the captured shot?
    Thanks!
    Story: any photo needs some kind of story... story being understood here in a very very broad sense... at the moment your pic does not have one... red chillies in a glass with green cloth does not say anything... you would not find it in a kitchen or so... chillies on a cutting board with a knife would have story

    Colours: i think a bit too much... tone the green down

    Exposure: either you had a very bright window or you used flash, in any case the lighting is very even without noticable shadows which makes the shot flat and uninteresting. Try to get the light not from behind you but from the side, or for food even from front, create dark shadows and highlights but be careful not to blow the highlights or drown the shadows

    Composition: top down with a lot of DOF does not give a sense of depth.

    i hope this helps
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

  7. #7

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Story: any photo needs some kind of story... story being understood here in a very very broad sense... at the moment your pic does not have one... red chillies in a glass with green cloth does not say anything... you would not find it in a kitchen or so... chillies on a cutting board with a knife would have story

    Colours: i think a bit too much... tone the green down

    Exposure: either you had a very bright window or you used flash, in any case the lighting is very even without noticable shadows which makes the shot flat and uninteresting. Try to get the light not from behind you but from the side, or for food even from front, create dark shadows and highlights but be careful not to blow the highlights or drown the shadows

    Composition: top down with a lot of DOF does not give a sense of depth.

    i hope this helps

    my window was on my right (looking at the slanted chilli, the light did come from the side)...But i do see where you are leading me... now i get the idea...

    GOsh... i should have joined CLUBsnap 2 years ago.. I would have been so much better now!! Really appreciate the time taken to comment on my pic.. thanks once again! =)

    ChEERS,
    Noretta

  8. #8
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    The background colour doesn't really go well with the chillies. A black or white background would have better emphasized the colour of the chillies.

  9. #9

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    could b better if u use shallower depth of field

  10. #10

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Story: any photo needs some kind of story... story being understood here in a very very broad sense... at the moment your pic does not have one... red chillies in a glass with green cloth does not say anything... you would not find it in a kitchen or so... chillies on a cutting board with a knife would have story
    Thanks for your clarification. I was kind of wondering how can a bowl of chillies tell a story...

  11. #11
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1,178

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    hmm.. i think if you had placed the chill on the table top instead with cloves and soem spices would have been more interesting. the cill in a little glass cup didn't work for me!

  12. #12

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by bLight View Post
    Thanks for your clarification. I was kind of wondering how can a bowl of chillies tell a story...
    "Story" is a broad sense.

    More or less, people knows how chilli looks like. So our photo here should serve a higher purpose. More specifically, what's the message of the photo trying to tell the viewer.
    - chilli, fresh & juicy
    - Hot & spicy
    - Special variety of chilli or weird looking ones
    - the bowl - the container
    - the bowl - depicting the sheer multitude of chilli variety
    - temporal element - about to be minced/diced/cooked
    - chilli as ingredient
    - chilli as a metaphor
    - testing of lens? sharpness / contrast / color / CA

  13. #13

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by coffee3in1 View Post
    "Story" is a broad sense.

    More or less, people knows how chilli looks like. So our photo here should serve a higher purpose. More specifically, what's the message of the photo trying to tell the viewer.
    - chilli, fresh & juicy
    - Hot & spicy
    - Special variety of chilli or weird looking ones
    - the bowl - the container
    - the bowl - depicting the sheer multitude of chilli variety
    - temporal element - about to be minced/diced/cooked
    - chilli as ingredient
    - chilli as a metaphor
    - testing of lens? sharpness / contrast / color / CA


    Thanks for clearing that up for me! =)

    You guys are so sweet!

  14. #14

    Default Re: a bowl of chilli

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird17 View Post
    hmm.. i think if you had placed the chill on the table top instead with cloves and soem spices would have been more interesting. the cill in a little glass cup didn't work for me!

    hmmm.... why didnt i think of that...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •