Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

  1. #1

    Default D90 is out. And the full frame A900 is also out! What will pentax give us next?

    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im.../d90/index.htm

    It could take video @1,280 x 720! but cannot auto-focus while recording.

    I hope next one from pentax would do it better!

    For A900, Ref:

    http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/04/a...ll-frame-dslr/
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1353...?lsrc=rss_main
    Last edited by eyespeek; 5th September 2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: update

  2. #2

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    I hope they are not going to have that feature indicated on this thread. Maybe in a more prosumer version like a k1000D? But Please please please please don't make this the priority...

    AF improvement would be helpful (though it's not like I've a real issue with it currently), and the PTTL needs an update.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Seriously..I dun tink a DSLR should merge with video funtion...maybe it's just me..haha

  5. #5

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyespeek View Post
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im.../d90/index.htm

    It could take video @1,280 x 720! but cannot auto-focus while recording.

    I hope next one from pentax would do it better!
    i hope pentax concentrates on making cameras instead of allrounder gimmicky gadgets..

    soon, we will have cameras which can make phone calls, have gps maps loaded, can play mp3, got built in super floodlight, and rape alarm too. oh the horror!

    there are other things to focus on than having a dinky video function inside.. like better autofocus, superior image quality, value for money, better and cheaper flash system.. the video part never ever crossed my mind.
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th August 2008 at 09:15 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    give me reasonable AF in low light, forget about the megapixel race... 14MP is more than enough... a more consistent and accurate flash system would be a bonus...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  7. #7
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    People already bitching about Live View implementation and what not, and now the latest gimmick comes in the form of ... video. One thing is for sure, DSLRs are going the way of mobile phones... so many new models but little if any product differentiation. Trying to have so much crammed-in by way of feature set must surely have a trade-off somewhere... perhaps battery life perhaps.

    Suddenly the second-hand value of Nikon DSLRs seems set to plummet even more...

  8. #8
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by ishou80 View Post
    Seriously..I dun tink a DSLR should merge with video funtion...maybe it's just me..haha
    Basically all compact PnS digital cameras are in essence video cameras.
    One merely takes a single frame from a continuous image projected on the rear LCD monitor.

  9. #9

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    People already bitching about Live View implementation and what not, and now the latest gimmick comes in the form of ... video. One thing is for sure, DSLRs are going the way of mobile phones... so many new models but little if any product differentiation. Trying to have so much crammed-in by way of feature set must surely have a trade-off somewhere... perhaps battery life perhaps.
    well i certainly hope consumerism doesn't launch it in the way of the mobile phone market.. granted they're getting better at it, but i remember when they first started.. camera/music player/phone in one.. resulted in what one would call a jack of all trades but master of none.

  10. #10
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i hope pentax concentrates on making cameras instead of allrounder gimmicky gadgets..

    ... have gps maps loaded,...
    But with GPS data in the exif I can retrace where to go to the exact spot to take all those lovely landscape photos by other photographers...

    Wireless capability ought to be considered for tethered shooting and data transfer, though I'm not sure if battery drain and radio frequency interference might be an issue.

    Video is just an extension of the High Definition TV mania where images can be shown in full glory (TV as screensaver/digital photo frame). Perfect for those who shoot models...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    i just want 1 thing...

    just give me a 10-12MP CCD FF camera with good AF in low light, decent FPS and an update to the flash system... period
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  12. #12

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    i just want 1 thing...

    just give me a 10-12MP CCD FF camera with good AF in low light, decent FPS and an update to the flash system... period
    Man, do I ever second that.

    Though I don't use flash at all, whatsoever.. haha!

    And yes, 10-12MP is enough. Don't understand why pixel count matters so much or is cited as one reason for upgrading, speaking as a happy bunny 6MP K100DS user here. How many of us regularly print bigger than 4R? Or even make prints? (Actually, I do, just printed $60+ worth of 4R prints.)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    not to be protective, but video mode is a "additional" feature which will in no way affect the quality of the photos. if one doesn't need it, don use it, why bitch about it? there are always people out there who use the feature to its full potential. last yr it was live view, everyone bitching about it, but guess what? there are many people who are enjoying the liveview now shooting at awkward angles... etc

    a Nokia 3310 can make call, a iphone can also make call, why do 99% of the people choose the latter?
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 27th August 2008 at 09:44 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    of course its a nice thing to have... but given a choice, i rather they spend their resources and work on giving me better AF, IQ, FPS than working on giving me video...

    but if can give me everything than that would be nice...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    of course its a nice thing to have... but given a choice, i rather they spend their resources and work on giving me better AF, IQ, FPS than working on giving me video...

    but if can give me everything than that would be nice...
    well, its not exactly a true technology, i rather say its a innovation... a good one or a bad one, thats up to yo how you view it. the movie mode is almost as simple as putting the "data" of what the sensor fetch to your LCD during liveview mode.

  16. #16

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    not to be protective, but video mode is a "additional" feature which will in no way affect the quality of the photos. if one doesn't need it, don use it, why bitch about it? there are always people out there who use the feature to its full potential. last yr it was live view, everyone bitching about it, but guess what? there are many people who are enjoying the liveview now shooting at awkward angles... etc

    a Nokia 3310 can make call, a iphone can also make call, why do 99% of the people choose the latter?
    it's simple.

    ask you - consider the time put into even exploring this function.. which to put it bluntly, only serves to attract more of the market rather than really benefit consumers..

    it is one thing to laud a really positive development.. another thing to gloss something "additional" over and give it an easy time simply because it's a good to have. after all, photographs and videos are two very different animals altogether. i'd wager that none of the companies are going to put this in their higher end models.. simply because at that level it'd probably not appeal to the people those models are targeted at.

    live view still has its functionality and uses for shooting macro. this?

    won't it be better exploring these other points mentioned here? i'm certain you'd agree with me this new technology as "simple" as it is doesn't involve someone just snapping his fingers and making it happen. it probably involves proposals, schematics, and development and tests.. money and time which could be spent on many other areas.. instead of dreaming up new ideas to sell it to the consumer who "wants it all".
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th August 2008 at 10:26 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    But with GPS data in the exif I can retrace where to go to the exact spot to take all those lovely landscape photos by other photographers...

    Wireless capability ought to be considered for tethered shooting and data transfer, though I'm not sure if battery drain and radio frequency interference might be an issue.

    Video is just an extension of the High Definition TV mania where images can be shown in full glory (TV as screensaver/digital photo frame). Perfect for those who shoot models...
    ah, gps tagging is fine and dandy.. i would also love to be able to find out later on where i wandered during travel.. inbuilt gps maps are another thing though.. just imagine the next ad..

    your "pentax k35d navigator.. comes with a car mounting bracket and voice activiation so that you can install it easily while out and about on the go and refer to it to navigate your way around the highways.."

    faint. i mean sure, when you're stuck and lost in some unknown alleyway you might really love having the function. but the key word here is pragmatism..
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th August 2008 at 10:35 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Pentax should keep their focus on improving the IQ and AF and mabbe a little tidying up the menu. All the other "features" are secondary. Also, Pentax already have most of them since long ago.

    Pentax should also give a little emphasis on "exotic" primes.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    well, its not exactly a true technology, i rather say its a innovation... a good one or a bad one, thats up to yo how you view it. the movie mode is almost as simple as putting the "data" of what the sensor fetch to your LCD during liveview mode.
    simple ? try switching on to live view for more than 10 mins... for what ever features there definitely alot or some work to be done... I give Nikon the thumps up to come out with this capability...im sure others will follow...

    our point here is this, our AF needs improving, our flash system needs improving, give me an video option but no improving on the above mentioned... is not what we want... or what i want at least...

    i wouldn't mind having this video option when the next pentax camera comes around though.
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  20. #20

    Default Re: D90 is out. What will pentax give us next?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    not to be protective, but video mode is a "additional" feature which will in no way affect the quality of the photos. if one doesn't need it, don use it, why bitch about it? there are always people out there who use the feature to its full potential. last yr it was live view, everyone bitching about it, but guess what? there are many people who are enjoying the liveview now shooting at awkward angles... etc

    a Nokia 3310 can make call, a iphone can also make call, why do 99% of the people choose the latter?
    I agree with you.

    we are not talking about pentax need to put the video recording at the first place. But it is no harm to put this feature in.

    We are all clear that pentax needs to improve its AF and FPS. If the AF and image chip are strong enough so that eventually pentax could use AF in its video mode, would it be a good selling point for pentax?

    Go, pentax!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •