Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to fix a sticky grip?

  1. #1

    Default How to fix a sticky grip?

    Some of my old cameras (F55, F65, F80) have developed this problem with the handgrip where the rubber starts to leak some kind of sticky fluid. The fluid sticks all over the plastic and becomes really uncomfortable. I was just wondering if there is any fix for this kind of chemical reaction, like pouring powder on the sticky areas? I'm leery of doing that myself.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Iloilo City, Philippines
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    Some of my old cameras (F55, F65, F80) have developed this problem with the handgrip where the rubber starts to leak some kind of sticky fluid. The fluid sticks all over the plastic and becomes really uncomfortable. I was just wondering if there is any fix for this kind of chemical reaction, like pouring powder on the sticky areas? I'm leery of doing that myself.
    This happens in very humid countries, and as far as I know, there is no known way to counteract this problem. That happened to all my Minolta Film SLR's before, and I had 4 of them, different models same results.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    You can try lighter fluid. I have not tried this on my stuff because it hasn't happened to me yet. But lighter fluid should get rid of most sticky residues. Becareful and test abit first.
    Meow!

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    simply get it replaced

  5. #5
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    when the rubberlsed parts starts to get sticky..it is usually a sure sign to get it replace. The rubber is deterioting. ON e sure way to know is wiping it down with a damp cloth...if you wait a while and then you touch it and it feels even more gummy like... there is really no doubt. Time to change the grip. On the long run...it will start to also wear off and anything you rubb it against may leave marking. But when slightly dampe..the sticky thingy comes back.

  6. #6
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    You can try lighter fluid. I have not tried this on my stuff because it hasn't happened to me yet. But lighter fluid should get rid of most sticky residues. Becareful and test abit first.
    The result.. the rubber coating will be gone. End up with black shinny plastic.
    Similar condition to old Sigma lenses
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    The result.. the rubber coating will be gone. End up with black shinny plastic.
    Similar condition to old Sigma lenses
    Hahahas. My bad, not the best solution.
    Meow!

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    The second hand camera shop at Adelphi center provides a service to neutralize the stickiness. I sold my old Nikon camera to him, and he less $15 from the value to fix the rubber.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    Put powder...
    i think it will work.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: How to fix a sticky grip?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdrakes View Post
    Put powder...
    i think it will work.
    i was thinking the same, but most powder is white colour.

    maybe cheap make-up powder in black? goth woh...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •