Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a software that does desktop publishing

Question Recommend a software that does desktop publishing

Hi everyone...

I am looking for a software that allows me to do desktop publishing (e.g. design and print brochures, newsletters, calendars, cards, posters, websites, etc) efficiently. Examples that I have sourced are:

- Serif PagePlus (http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplusx3/)

I have not used this software before but the fact that it allows PDF editing, production of commerical press-ready PDF/X-1a files and allow one to work with ICC profiles is a big draw to me... however I am not sure if it is user-friendly and reliable.

Please recommend to me any software that you have used for desktop publishing but I don't need any photo/graphic manipulation software as I am using GIMP.

Thanks a lot!!

PS.. I can't find any suitable category to base this thread, so if it belongs to other category, please accept my apologies and help me move this thread accordingly.. Thanks
    G

Default Re: Recommend a software that does desktop publishing

Anybody? Nobody uses this type of software anymore?
    G

Adobe has a whole suite for you, including Dreamweaver, which is an excellent web design tool.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Adobe has a whole suite for you, including Dreamweaver, which is an excellent web design tool.
    actually i am not looking for a web design tool. looking for one that is a good tool for desktop publishing like the product i had shortlisted.
    G

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    Hi everyone...

I am looking for a software that allows me to do desktop publishing (e.g. design and print brochures, newsletters, calendars, cards, posters, websites, etc) efficiently. Examples that I have sourced are:

- Serif PagePlus (http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplusx3/)

I have not used this software before but the fact that it allows PDF editing, production of commerical press-ready PDF/X-1a files and allow one to work with ICC profiles is a big draw to me... however I am not sure if it is user-friendly and reliable.

Please recommend to me any software that you have used for desktop publishing but I don't need any photo/graphic manipulation software as I am using GIMP.

Thanks a lot!!

PS.. I can't find any suitable category to base this thread, so if it belongs to other category, please accept my apologies and help me move this thread accordingly.. Thanks
    I know some people use MS Word, some use MS Powerpoint.

Adobe InDesign is the industry standard, though you can also use vector graphics programs like Illustrator or the defunct Freehand. The key issue is the program ought to allow you to have crop and bleed marks to ensure proper registration when printing and trimming.

MS Word and MS Powerpoint are probably the worst software to do desktop publishing. Period. Photoshop is also not the best tool for layouts, even though it can generate pdfs.

There are a number of programs that can generate pdf files. However, not all pdf files are created equal. As someone in the print biz, I get jobs on pdf from designers new and old and I can tell you that some programs generate pdf files that are really huge in size. One designer friend who was on holiday had to churn out a 4pp A4 4C x 4C mostly text brochure. Used an obscure program as he didn't have his lappy. File size was a whopping 9 mb. Did the same brochure with Indesign and the pdf was barely 1mb...

Check out Adobe InDesign CS3.
    While not primarily a dtp software you can also take a look at Adobe Illustrator CS3.

They are expensive though.

Opps didn't notice Creampuff's post before replying.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I know some people use MS Word, some use MS Powerpoint.
    I was using these programs but was looking for something that allow me to do more things more efficiently.....hehe
    G

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Adobe InDesign is the industry standard, though you can also use vector graphics programs like Illustrator or the defunct Freehand. The key issue is the program ought to allow you to have crop and bleed marks to ensure proper registration when printing and trimming.

MS Word and MS Powerpoint are probably the worst software to do desktop publishing. Period. Photoshop is also not the best tool for layouts, even though it can generate pdfs.

There are a number of programs that can generate pdf files. However, not all pdf files are created equal. As someone in the print biz, I get jobs on pdf from designers new and old and I can tell you that some programs generate pdf files that are really huge in size. One designer friend who was on holiday had to churn out a 4pp A4 4C x 4C mostly text brochure. Used an obscure program as he didn't have his lappy. File size was a whopping 9 mb. Did the same brochure with Indesign and the pdf was barely 1mb...
    wow... so u work in print biz?? cool.....so u can advise me on the standards and formats and any industry terms....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by kino2 View Post
    Check out Adobe InDesign CS3.
    While not primarily a dtp software you can also take a look at Adobe Illustrator CS3.

They are expensive though.
    thanks kino2 and creampuff....

i will check out Adobe Indesign and compare.....hehe
    G

Quote Originally Posted by kino2 View Post
    Opps didn't notice Creampuff's post before replying.
    no prob....thanks for the effort to reply too...

anyway, ur reply is consistent with creampuff's reply so i will check out the recommended program
    G

Yes, Adobe InDesign is the industry standard DTP, before that it is Adobe PageMaker.

Most word processing software able to do DTP, if you only stick to home printer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

i would recommend using Indesign. if not u can use freehand or illustrator and slowly do the painful process of exporting one page by page.

If you're not doing multi-pages project, just go for Illustrator. It has more features.
    It's the program used for creating illustrations, with all the usual Indesign type features.

If you're doing multi-pages, then go for Indesign. It's primarily a page layout software, and excels at that, for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    If you're not doing multi-pages project, just go for Illustrator. It has more features.
    It's the program used for creating illustrations, with all the usual Indesign type features.

If you're doing multi-pages, then go for Indesign. It's primarily a page layout software, and excels at that, for speed.
    wat's the diff between the two?
    G

InDesign

Adobe InDesign is probably the standard of the industry. Very sophisticated application.

Blog Entries

yes Indesign is the industry standard, great for long publications
    you can also consider Adobe illustrator for single page or short publications, can open and edit pdf files as well

freehand is a dead-end software, adobe has stopped developing it
    illustrator CS3 can open freehand files and is slated to replace freehand

btw CS4 will be out soon.

Indesign + Photoshop ftw!!

Been out of touch with DTP for a while already .....
    But is Adobe Pagemaker still available .... this used to be the Industry standard for all publications ....

I know Quark Express is now defunct already, but that was also one of the pioneers in DTP and was widely used by quite a few newspapers .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast