Thread: Print size recommendation & frames

Default Print size recommendation & frames

Hey guys! Teacher's day is coming up very soon, and I want to print some stuff for my teachers.

I'd want to ask you guys what's a good size to print a group photo so that you can clearly see the faces of the people like here:

(I know, bad pic, barrel distortions at sides and flash isn't even, just didn't have time to setup for friend)
    oh, psst, i'm the only odd-one-out of the pic. Right smack in the middle somemore!

So, having thought about that, I understand that most prints and frames are not in the standard dslr 3:2 format nowadays. That means I'll have to either crop (not allowed for above pic; friend took it too tight) or add black borders to the top and bottom, right? I'm okay with doing that, because I'd like to type some stuff out at the bottom anyway.

Ok, so on to my last question. Depending on what print size you guys recommend, what frame should I get, and from where? My dad said IKEA frames aren't too bad, and I think their dark wood borders are good.

Any comments? My main objective is to get the photo onto my teacher's desk, so it has to not be too big, but still large enough so that the faces are clearly seen. It also has to not cost too much (15-25 bucks per print+frame can?) because I'm printing other things for other teachers too.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Last edited by Headshotzx; 26th August 2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Print size recommendation & frames

I'd go with S8R (12"x8"). Not too large and not too small. However, if you're gonna give each person in the pic a handout, go with 4R (6"x4"), if not you'll go broke.

These two prints are 3:2. I think other print sizes are not, which is why I print in these two sizes mostly.

Another thing is Ikea frames are not standard print sizes. You'll have to do some DIY, cutting away the mounting board slightly on a larger frame to fit a S8R print.
    Last edited by calebk; 27th August 2008 at 12:11 AM.

I see. How much would printing like that cost? Matt and good quality paper.

What frames would you recommend? Are there any frames that accommodate the S8R prints?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    I see. How much would printing like that cost? Matt and good quality paper.

What frames would you recommend? Are there any frames that accommodate the S8R prints?
    I haven't printed S8R for awhile, but last I recall was $3 a print. 4R is a mere 10% of that.

Frames-wise, I've never gotten frames for my prints so I can't comment. Haha.

a S8R print is ranging $3 to $6, 4R prints can range from $0.3 to $0.45, depends where you send it to. Most of the labs do have some S8R frames for sale.

you can check out some of the shops which many of us like to patron, Useful addresses of common photographic equipment/services shops

some people able to get better price, simply they are the regular customers, able to give the labs a few hundred dollars business each month. you can mention you heard from Clubsnap to try your luck to see get slightly better price. but again, do remember the best price and service always give to the regular customers.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio