Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: own web domain. need help.

Default own web domain. need help.

hey all, thanks for coming.

does anyone know on how to create our own website for free? (eg. www.myname.com)
    keen to make my own website as a portfolio to post my works. thanks all

Default Re: own web domain. need help.

For free? Not a chance. You need to register the domain.

Try a google search for "how do i set up my own web domain".

You will also need to pay for a host. I suggest www.bluehost.com, they have good packages.
    Alpha

domain name cost about 8$ US / year. It's pretty cheap actually. Hosting package can go as low as 5$ to 10$ US per month.

As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    yeah just tried it. but then they ask for zip/postal code from US. haha i'm a singaporean

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    For free? Not a chance. You need to register the domain.

Try a google search for "how do i set up my own web domain".

You will also need to pay for a host. I suggest www.bluehost.com, they have good packages.
    hmm bluehost seems kinda impressive. anyone had experience on doing your own domain? can share how you set it up? thanks.

I use http://myhosting.com/ and have pretty good experiences with them.
    Their cheapest package is more than enough for your basic needs (think it comes with 1gig of storage) and the setup works really easy.

I register domain at godaddy.com host at bluehost as well as lunarpages and both are good. For photo gallery / blogging, I use gallery2 as well as pixelpost.org for my 2 sites. Both are good.
    Last edited by msvanjara; 27th August 2008 at 07:23 AM.

theres a singaporean hosting website if yu all want: www.clever.com.sg
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

have a site running @ singhost. not bad. the customer support also good and efficient.
    not a chance that it will be free!

usually it will take abt 1 week to get everything done.

oh ya. one more thing, it would be better to get a local webhosting plan coz you can KP them over the phone instead of emails =X
    Last edited by inckurei; 27th August 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by inckurei View Post
    oh ya. one more thing, it would be better to get a local webhosting plan coz you can KP them over the phone instead of emails =X
    Local plans are more expensive than the USA ones, and companieslike Bluehost have a 24/7 hotline that you can call non-stop via skype.
    Alpha

what about the disk space? some got 500mb or 2000mb. do we got that amount of space per month? or once we sign up, we just got that amount of space through out the plan? thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimesonn View Post
    what about the disk space? some got 500mb or 2000mb. do we got that amount of space per month? or once we sign up, we just got that amount of space through out the plan? thanks all.
    That's all you get. You're not going to get an additional 2GB per month for free!
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by jaimesonn View Post
    More importantly... Why on earth do you even need that much space? Don't tell me you're thinking of uploading your pictures in full high-res? People will just close the browser if it takes them a couple minutes to load a single image.
    Alpha

if you are running a big forum such as club snap. you will need the space.
    just sign up for the plan that you think will suit you best you can always ask around for opinions too

singapore host is more expensive, no doubt, but you pay for what you get ard s$250/year, it aint really alot so you cant really complain.

On a similar note, may I ask if any of you is currently renting a rack space? What is your experience and is Singtel a good choice if you are going to be living in and around SEAsia? I mean if something goes wrong, you can pop over to Singtel quite easily.

I am thinking of running some applications but web hosting companies either do not run the apps I want, or they run outdated versions.

thanks
    Matt

All I can say is, please do NOT scrimp on domain names. Don't take up the free offers, because more often than not, the fine print says that the host owns the domain name, not you. It's very difficult (and likely costly) if you want to buy the domain back. Especially so if the domain name is meaningful to you (i.e. your name or business name).

Plenty of space and bandwidth offers are good. But also know that those who offers lots of space and bandwidth (significantly more than competitors at the same price) are often over-selling. What that means to us is that our sites can often be very slow and inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by st11x View Post
    On a similar note, may I ask if any of you is currently renting a rack space? What is your experience and is Singtel a good choice if you are going to be living in and around SEAsia? I mean if something goes wrong, you can pop over to Singtel quite easily.

I am thinking of running some applications but web hosting companies either do not run the apps I want, or they run outdated versions.

thanks
    Matt
    rack space is going to cost! not sure how much tho, but i do have a friend last time whos running a webhosting service.

And what kind of applications are u running?

For your own domain - as all above have said.

For free space - you have a couple of options:
    - Something like face book
    - A blog site such as blogger
    - and there are free domains/web sites if you do an internet search. Have used Netfirms. They're okay but as someone has said you don't really own the site. I use it to mess around to test things out with HTML. Do note the freebies have quite a bit of limitations and they will advertise on your site.
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 28th August 2008 at 10:58 PM.
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

so for own web domain, how much will the total cost probably be? and when creating own website, is it hard? do we have to know about html and all those stuffs? or they have things or layouts we can choose from? thanks all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast