Thread: 15 Spectacular Lightning Images

Default 15 Spectacular Lightning Images

http://digital-photography-school.co...htning-images/

with so many 'lightning' accidents in sg .. strangely there's a lack of lightning photography here in singapore hor?

Default Re: 15 Spectacular Lightning Images

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    http://digital-photography-school.co...htning-images/

with so many 'lightning' accidents in sg .. strangely there's a lack of lightning photography here in singapore hor?
    Singapore is too bright.. You have to sit there and wait for the lightning.. The exposure for the image below is 4s, f/11 at ISO200. If I want to increase the exposure length to accomodate more lightnings, I would have to use a smaller aperture, lower the ISO or use an ND filter. A smaller aperture would put the optics at the diffraction limits. The ISO is already the lowest I could go on that body. And I don't have an ND filter with me at that time.

Will try to catch more lightning if time permits..

EXIF Intact. Image cropped in PSE5.0.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th August 2008 at 05:06 PM.

ha because its not easy to catch?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Singapore is too bright.. You have to sit there and wait for the lightning.. The exposure for the image below is 4s, f/11 at ISO200. If I want to increase the exposure length to accomodate more lightnings, I would have to use a smaller aperture, lower the ISO or use an ND filter. A smaller aperture would put the optics at the diffraction limits. The ISO is already the lowest I could go on that body. And I don't have an ND filter with me at that time.

Will try to catch more lightning if time permits..

EXIF Intact. Image cropped in PSE5.0.
    woo nice!
    hahah might spoil ur image quality but how about tinted windows in ur flat? can't they be used as a ND filter? might protect rain from splashing on ur cam as well..

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    woo nice!
    hahah might spoil ur image quality but how about tinted windows in ur flat? can't they be used as a ND filter? might protect rain from splashing on ur cam as well..
    Aiyoh.. if got rain then won't get this kind of images loh... So the precondition is that there must be lightning and it's not raining yet. Tinted window would not work well.. They are not optical grade glass.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th August 2008 at 05:18 PM.

so far my best shot in SG(ok, only done it twice )
    Shot it at night around 9, so no ND used

photoshop adding more blue, originally was kind of violet.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 26th August 2008 at 05:24 PM.

How to agak-agak where to get lightning?
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    How to agak-agak where to get lightning?
    You see where got lightning first lah.. then agak agak point there lor.. There should be quite a few repetitions because the cloud is in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    so far my best shot in SG(ok, only done it twice )
    Shot it at night around 9, so no ND used

photoshop adding more blue, originally was kind of violet.
    Your night sky not very bright. 5" at f/8 somemore.. That's one stop more than I could manage.. I was shooting at 11pm and the sky was quite bright...

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Your night sky not very bright. 5" at f/8 somemore.. That's one stop more than I could manage.. I was shooting at 11pm and the sky was quite bright...
    doesn't matter as long as one bear to spam burst mode. most lightning looks best around f8-11, any lower it gets too thin or dull for the effect and vice versa. iirc i spammed like 100+ clicks or so for 3-4successful capture, and only 1 of the looks nicer and different to the others

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    doesn't matter as long as one bear to spam burst mode. most lightning looks best around f8-11, any lower it gets too thin or dull for the effect and vice versa. iirc i spammed like 100+ clicks or so for 3-4successful capture, and only 1 of the looks nicer and different to the others
    Same.. I spam less shots.. happen to have one good one in the series of shots which I did just for fun..

Basically how long your shutter can remain open is determined by the sky condition. The longer you can remain open for a shot, the higher the chance that you will get a lightning event in the shot.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th August 2008 at 05:37 PM.