Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how sharp is NIKON 105mm VR?? compared to prime lens??

Default Re: how sharp is NIKON 105mm VR?? compared to prime lens??

105VR does it work as a portrait lens too?
    MAKE YOUR MAGIC BEHIND THE CAMERA, NOT IN PHOTOSHOP

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    Why not? its all abt the photographers composition. theres no rule that potraits can only be take by certain focal-lenght range lenses.

and to TS, do u really need THAT kind of sharpness? u ask so much and in the end, u only upload or view thru ur comp at a smaller resolution? whats the point now, u buy ur cam to test sharpness or to take photos?
    and u seem to be very in to primes? but i think for someone new, using a zoom lens would be easier to practise composition? less tiring to walk all over(for lazy pple like me)

dont compare this and that la, in short. Nikon has more to lose then u if their lenses are not sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by deklan View Post
    Why not? its all abt the photographers composition. theres no rule that potraits can only be take by certain focal-lenght range lenses.

and to TS, do u really need THAT kind of sharpness? u ask so much and in the end, u only upload or view thru ur comp at a smaller resolution? whats the point now, u buy ur cam to test sharpness or to take photos?
    and u seem to be very in to primes? but i think for someone new, using a zoom lens would be easier to practise composition? less tiring to walk all over(for lazy pple like me)

dont compare this and that la, in short. Nikon has more to lose then u if their lenses are not sharp.
    LOL. well yeah, nikon will have more to lose. but i am sure, at some point they messed up. thats why we have bad lens and good lens.

I need sharpness certainly. I see your point. it just feels good when you know that your pics are sharp. whats the point of buying an expensive car in singapore? you cant run fast anyway. you can have 6 series but you cant run too fast anyway but people still buy it anyway, dont they?

thats right , i do. i love prime lens due to its sharpness. thats what matters to me. i dont care if i have to sacrifice convenience. matter fact, prime lens will make your skill better, not zoom lens like what you said.

i doubt you have much of an idea of this 'sharpness' you speak of. I suggest you do more research

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    Yes it can. But note that you need to calibrate the colors. Your first shot would probably be out of the normal color range. At least for me...

This is a 105 mm with model at 3/4 body length. Note that aperture is F8.

Works very well for portraits. For close up portraits, see earlier in the thread.

Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

I am not a super duper photographer.

I hope that one day, when i asked for reference for some lens or other gadgets. I get the answers and not other topics especially telling me, why i ask so much?

Lucky, there are many other nice photographers around. I hope you are one too...
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Deregistered

you want sharp, get the 85 f1.4 sure sharp

simple physics, when in sec sch time, i believe we all tried playing with pin hole camera. ever notice that the inverted projected image is sharper when the pin hole is small, but its also darker. then you go make the hole bigger, more light brighter the pic but it also become more blur. this physical properties apply to camera lens also.

the bigger F stop u use your picture naturally become sharper but you need to step up your ISO then. so if you want sharp sharp picture dont use the max F stop of your lens then. as the optic are at their limit in trying to focus the light properly to give u a sharp image, dropping your F stop will allow the optics to focus the light better.

and a 105mm and 50mm seriously cant be put side by side to compare and no 2 picture of the same item taken by the 2 lens is going to tell you which one is sharper. how do u define sharpness? a macro 105VR allow u to shot very near to the object and u be able to see more details of the object. so is that means sharp? so when a 105mm give you sharp details image, what u see is only part of the object liao. 50mm lens can give u sharp image of the full object without u having to stand very far. while a 105mm give u a sharp image but high chances u lose fine details that a 50mm is able to pick up by being nearer when u want to capture the full object.

the angle of view of a 105 is also diff from a 50, for a 105mm lens to see the same full object you need to stand twice or more the distance away from your object than a 50mm lens. and further away you are the harder it is to see small details so does losing fine details in your photos translate to image not sharp?

so end of the day a wide angle lens (50mm) is for you to capture sharp full object image close up while tele macro lens (105mm VR macro) is for u to get sharp partial object image.
    so which one u want, u choose yourself
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

dear TS, may i suggest u give up the tiny sensor of DSLR and go straight for 4x5 or better still, 8x10.

trust me, no more sharpness worry forever and ever.

camerax, get one of these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

very good resolution together with a PRIME LENS, VERY SHARP!!!

should be sharp enough for you.
    Last edited by scenar; 28th August 2008 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camerax View Post
    thats right , i do. i love prime lens due to its sharpness. thats what matters to me. i dont care if i have to sacrifice convenience. matter fact, prime lens will make your skill better, not zoom lens like what you said.
    I think you will need to rethink that statement because there are modern zooms which are sharper than prime lenses designed in the past. One example is the AF-S Nikkor 24-70/2.8.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 29th August 2008 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    camerax, get one of these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

very good resolution together with a PRIME LENS, VERY SHARP!!!

should be sharp enough for you.
    Go for Olympus 4/3 lenses. They rate their MTF at 60 lines per mm instead of 30 lines per mm used for 135 format lenses.

There is no direct comparison because both are different focal, different purpose and different apeture optimized lens....also depending on what you define "sharp" as "sharp"

To shoot macro or anything close up, 105VR will win hands down (though I do not own one, I own a manual tamron 90mm though)....that's what a macro lens for anyway.

To shoot portrait in max wide open, I believe 105VR will win too because at f1.4....it's really too much to ask for a $400 lens....unless the much more expensive 85 f1.4...But lets say we stop down the 50mm to f2.8 to match the apeture of 105vr, I will say 50mm will give the VR a run for money

I do not have other picture readily available...here are some of my previous unprofessional test shot....heavily post process though....please do not huntam me if you do not like it or think my skill is not up to task....this is for general viewing pleasure of fellow newbie(I am also a newbie)....we all learn together by exchanging information here...

50mm at f1.4

50mm at f2.0

Tamron 90mm f2.8 manual focus...if not sharp then it's because I forgot to wear specs

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    There is no direct comparison because both are different focal, different purpose and different apeture optimized lens....also depending on what you define "sharp" as "sharp"

To shoot macro or anything close up, 105VR will win hands down (though I do not own one, I own a manual tamron 90mm though)....that's what a macro lens for anyway.

To shoot portrait in max wide open, I believe 105VR will win too because at f1.4....it's really too much to ask for a $400 lens....unless the much more expensive 85 f1.4...But lets say we stop down the 50mm to f2.8 to match the apeture of 105vr, I will say 50mm will give the VR a run for money

I do not have other picture readily available...here are some of my previous unprofessional test shot....heavily post process though....please do not huntam me if you do not like it or think my skill is not up to task....this is for general viewing pleasure of fellow newbie(I am also a newbie)....we all learn together by exchanging information here...
    Deh, you where got newbie..

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Deh, you where got newbie..
    The pictures were shot somewhere in 2006 I believe...now that boy is in kindergarden liao lah....if given 2nd chance...I will shoot it in f2.8 so that the DOF in not so thin
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 29th August 2008 at 01:53 PM.

I tried the sharpness of 3 big guys,
    105 macro VR , contax 100/2, ZF 100/2 macro, contax 100/2 is sharpest one, 105VR weakest.
    but VR and AF quite useful and the difference of the sharpness is small (if just print A4 size)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123