Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how sharp is NIKON 105mm VR?? compared to prime lens??

Default Re: how sharp is NIKON 105mm VR?? compared to prime lens??

Quote Originally Posted by camerax View Post
    okay, can you guys tell me what influence the sharpness??
    The optical design itself and the precision to which the elements are ground to. If you really need to know, then you need to learn how to read MTF charts. But again, sharpness is not everything. Generally, a rule of thumb is the price of the lens itself but it is not always true.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th August 2008 at 04:39 PM.

since you are so confused about terms and how things work... i suggest that you wait with buying a lens... get some experience with the kit lens and come back in 6months or so....
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    since you are so confused about terms and how things work... i suggest that you wait with buying a lens... get some experience with the kit lens and come back in 6months or so....
    yes, agreed.

TS please check out the 18~70mm kit lens review by Ortega
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The optical design itself and the precision to which the elements are ground to. If you really need to know, then you need to learn how to read MTF charts. But again, sharpness is not everything. Generally, a rule of thumb is the price of the lens itself but it is
    not always true.
    woww, i opened the page and so intimidated by the content. lol. okay i will read it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

TS please check out the 18~70mm kit lens review by Ortega
    definitely, i will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Simple: how well the lens was designed and manufactured.

You are aware that these two lenses are totally different, right? The 105 is about 2x the "zoom" of the 50mm.

and I suggest you search online for the numerous reviews, such as on photozone.de

Try to learn for yourself, don't ask to be spoonfed.
    i am aware its different. and I have read tons of reviews about 105mm. and i am just curious of how it stacks up against 50mm 1.4. I am not being spoiled here and i am sorry if i appear to be that way. I have to admit that i am a newbie though : )

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    why are you so insistent on finding out IQ?

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept" - H. Cartier Bresson

note that a super sharp lens isn't gonna give you a WOW photo if you don't use it properly
    i am so interested because IQ is all that matters.

okay i maybe not a professional but i am pretty sure that if you give me crappy lens and allow me to use pro lens, "You will see the difference", i can assure you about that.

Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    yeah quit fussing over what to buy and stop nitpicking little details in your gear.
    otherwise you'll find that nothing is ever going to work for you, just buy to display.
    i am not fussing about what i want to buy. i just want to know how sharp 105mm compared to 50mm1.4, thats all. when you about to spend this kind of money, sometimes you want to be know more whether you get the right thing or not.

its so amazing how much one can learn from just reading from the inputs of others. Thanks for sharing guys.

I have both the 105 mm VR and 50 mm 1.8. Both are sharp. Its just that if you intend to frame the subject matter at the same size, you have to stand further with the 105 mm. Hence the talk about 'focal length'.

I have two samples here for reference. I apologies that it is not an apple to apple comparison. Hope this helps....

#1 - 50 mm. D80

#2 - 105 mm VR D3
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    its so amazing how much one can learn from just reading from the inputs of others. Thanks for sharing guys.

I have both the 105 mm VR and 50 mm 1.8. Both are sharp. Its just that if you intend to frame the subject matter at the same size, you have to stand further with the 105 mm. Hence the talk about 'focal length'.

I have two samples here for reference. I apologies that it is not an apple to apple comparison. Hope this helps....

#1 - 50 mm. D80

#2 - 105 mm VR D3

GODDAMN. thanks for the pics dude. really appreciate it. I really love that lady pics that you took. Its just awesome: ) and the lady is just downright gorgeous : ) I like her

but yeah that pic with 105mm VR is great, I love it. Thanks man.

but if its okay with you, i would appreciate if you take the pic of THE SAME object.
    so that i compare it side by side. you see what i mean?

but anyway, what you just did here is great. thanks a lot man. but i really hope you can take pics of 105mm VR and then 50mm 1.8 so that i can have direct comparison. sorry if this is too much to ask : )

thank you again

okay i maybe not a professional but i am pretty sure that if you give me crappy lens and allow me to use pro lens, "You will see the difference", i can assure you about that.
    i agree. But none of the lenses you mentioned are crappy! They are all of a decent standard to the point that its a waste of time and rather pointless to stare at CA curves and other crap like that. People who aim to capture photographs i.e-Photographers should focus on the actual composition rather than the physical limitations of the lens.

a crappy lens and a 'pro' lens? i may see the difference

but a crappy composition compared to a pro composition? people will see the difference

hope you understand this

Hi, i know what you mean but too busy lah.

The 50 mm 1.8 is cheap. I swear by it. Last time other adviced me but i dont believe it.

Its a life saver for many occasions. But be warned in my other threads (check under 'Nikon' - Camera Wishlist - Focus Bracketing'. 50 mm has problems with D300 and D3 sensors.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

i am aware its different. and I have read tons of reviews about 105mm. and i am just curious of how it stacks up against 50mm 1.4. I am not being spoiled here and i am sorry if i appear to be that way. I have to admit that i am a newbie though : )

i am not fussing about what i want to buy. i just want to know how sharp 105mm compared to 50mm1.4, thats all. when you about to spend this kind of money, sometimes you want to be know more whether you get the right thing or not.
    I can assure you that when you buy the Nikon D3, the pictures you take confirm will make people go WOW.

It's so utterly obvious that all that matters is the gear, since you say that I'll be able to tell the difference between you using a "crappy lens" and a "pro lens".

Quick, buy the "pro body", don't waste time with your "crappy body". Confirm your D3 pro body will take pictures which will make people go WOW.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

sharpness sharpness sharpness

why issit always keeping photographers worried?

why not distortion, CA, focus speed, ghosting and tons of other lens related properties?

dear TS, i'd suggest u read the 2 articles below:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lens-sharpness.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

ALL modern SLR/DSLR are sharp enough for non critical (day-to-day) use.

find me an unsharp modern lens, and i will be very impressed.

and even if one lens is sharper than the other when viewed at 100%, how big do u expect to blow up your pic? and when u blow too big, u will be pushing the limit of not only the lens, but other things, eg, the size of the camera sensor.

and sharp lens demand good foundation to bring out the sharpness and all the other properties.

btw, TS, do u own a tripod?

but if its okay with you, i would appreciate if you take the pic of THE SAME object.

but anyway, what you just did here is great. thanks a lot man. but i really hope you can take pics of 105mm VR and then 50mm 1.8 so that i can have direct comparison. sorry if this is too much to ask : )

thank you again

since the focal length is different, even if take same scene, any comparison is meaningless.

and if nikon design a lens, and by lookin at a monitor, u can tell the sharpness, tink the entire engineering team can commit suicide liao.

also, do u know that the SHARPNESS u are so concerned w, is different at different aperture setting?

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    Hi, i know what you mean but too busy lah.
    : ) , its okay. i understand. thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I can assure you that when you buy the Nikon D3, the pictures you take confirm will make people go WOW.

It's so utterly obvious that all that matters is the gear, since you say that I'll be able to tell the difference between you using a "crappy lens" and a "pro lens".

Quick, buy the "pro body", don't waste time with your "crappy body". Confirm your D3 pro body will take pictures which will make people go WOW.
    I dont know about D3, all i know it is expensive. i cant afford it. with that kind of money, i would rather use it to buy lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    sharpness sharpness sharpness

why issit always keeping photographers worried?

why not distortion, CA, focus speed, ghosting and tons of other lens related properties?

dear TS, i'd suggest u read the 2 articles below:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lens-sharpness.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

ALL modern SLR/DSLR are sharp enough for non critical (day-to-day) use.

find me an unsharp modern lens, and i will be very impressed.

and even if one lens is sharper than the other when viewed at 100%, how big do u expect to blow up your pic? and when u blow too big, u will be pushing the limit of not only the lens, but other things, eg, the size of the camera sensor.

and sharp lens demand good foundation to bring out the sharpness and all the other properties.

btw, TS, do u own a tripod?

I like kenrockwell but I dont really believe everything he said. just to let you know that he said 105mm sucks but other reviews tell lot of good things about this.

no, i dont have tripod. I am lazy to carry tripod with me anyway but one day I will though. thats when i own 105mm VR since You technically have to use tripod to do macro photography.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    since the focal length is different, even if take same scene, any comparison is meaningless.

and if nikon design a lens, and by lookin at a monitor, u can tell the sharpness, tink the entire engineering team can commit suicide liao.

also, do u know that the SHARPNESS u are so concerned w, is different at different aperture setting?

All I know is this. when you have low f number (big aperture), the DOF is high (the obj is sharp and the surrounding will be blurry) and vice versa. am i correct here?

All I know is this. when you have low f number (big aperture), the DOF is high (the obj is sharp and the surrounding will be blurry) and vice versa. am i correct here?
    No, DOF is narrow at larger apertures. Read the newbie's guide. You'll learn more.
    Alpha

I like kenrockwell but I dont really believe everything he said. just to let you know that he said 105mm sucks but other reviews tell lot of good things about this.

.[/QUOTE]

i seldom read any equipment review.

but i searched it out anyway.

think he rates the 105 VR highly

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm

a little confusion about the terms here, but i get what u mean

u mean, at big aperture, DOF is shallow (not hi). small aperture, DOF is great.

but, DOF aside, sharpness of a lens do varies at different aperture setting.

for optimum performance, most lens benefit from some stopping down. but avoid too small a aperture.

search KRW out again. tons of useful stuff there.
    Last edited by attap seed; 27th August 2008 at 01:50 AM.

camerax, you cannot compare the 2 lenses this way as they are apple to orange. the focal length is different therefore using the 2 lenses to take the same subject will not come out the same. i think you are using sharpness to determine the quality of the purchase rather than what each lens can do. are you looking for a lens for macro?

GODDAMN. thanks for the pics dude. really appreciate it. I really love that lady pics that you took. Its just awesome: ) and the lady is just downright gorgeous : ) I like her

but yeah that pic with 105mm VR is great, I love it. Thanks man.

thank you again

-_-"" DOF..... Is something that we all must not mix up! (because I myself get confused.... big number = small hole..... etcetc)

I used the 18-200mm back when I first got hold of a dslr. I'd say, its good for general uses. I find it an extremely good lens, sharp or not sharp vs the prime lens I wouldn't be able to gauge. But more importantly is what's your use for the lens

Honestly, if it's for all-purpose shooting, I'm for the 18-200

Sadly... I don't have an 18-200

105mm F2.8 VR Micro... Very good very sharp very fast AF

btw i am selling mine if you're interested

but i don't kid you about the quality... all the bros and sis here can attest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast