Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

One week do 2 weddings, charge 2.5 k each. 52 weeks=52x2.5k x 2=~250k. The rest do portraits and some commercial stuff. I think 300k a year is the minimal target. Minus rent/equip. Take home 20o-250k/year.

If get better, 4k one wedding. Target to reach 400-500k a year in 5 years time. definitely not lucrative enuff.

Anyone has a 2nd hand studio unit to sublet? My budget is 1.5k/mth
    Last edited by lancey; 1st September 2008 at 06:44 PM.

Quitting? u must be out of your mind to quit this creamy PIE.

Quote Originally Posted by lancey View Post
    One week do 2 weddings, charge 2.5 k each. 52 weeks=52x2.5k x 2=~250k. The rest do portraits and some commercial stuff. I think 300k a year is the minimal target. Minus rent/equip. Take home 20o-250k/year.

If get better, 4k one wedding. Target to reach 400-500k a year in 5 years time. definitely not lucrative enuff.

With that kind of budget, you should just buy - why bother to sublease?

oh yea, im not familiar with the current rental market..How much is it to buy a studio unit?

Try google.

I think there's been too many OT posts on this thread. Let's keep the discussion back on track.

oh yea, im not familiar with the current rental market..How much is it to buy a studio unit?
    Best is to buy an entire shop unit. Renovate it to your style of liking, then purchase professional studio equipment - all at a go. So no need to lease. You do well in your biz, a few years can cover back one; even shorter period of time, if based on your calculation.

This thread has been really interesting, thanks to those who have shared so generously and openly.

A lot of things mentioned about running a business do jive with what I have read from other designers in magazines, forums, &c.

Here's an interesting tool I found a while ago that really makes you think/aware of the figures that one may have to consider when calculating rates and stuff like that:
    http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    One day, I would like to go full time. Seeing Joho and Will03 being able to go overseas and take a vacation and still bringing in money really inspired me.
    Then you'll have to learn from the guys who go overseas how much you need to charge a client before you can make money from an overseas shoot.

Just got back last week after 2 weeks of overseas shoot and I brought along an assistant who is also thinking of going fulltime next year as wedding photographer. Many of my clients are like "wa, so shiok can go Paris/UK to shoot." I wish it is that straight forward, and European countries ain't like Singapore - rampant thefts, pickpocket (my client got his wallet stolen on our first day there), getting stopped by police even though it is a public place and you have every right to take photos. Half the time we were looking out for dodgy characters I carry my CF cards with me all the time in case my camera and all gets stolen...the list of things that are beyond your control goes on and on.

For the assistant, learning the techniques is just a small part of the equation of the overseas wedding shoot; being able to calculate and factor in all the costs (e.g. transport from airport to hotel alone costs at least SGD$110; meals in Europe cost you SGD$150+ a day per person unless you're bringing maggi mee there...yes breakfast with just a crossiant and black coffee cost you easily SGD$14) is far more important, else you're better off doing local shoots in Singapore. I had a coffee session with Dino Lara from Philippines and being a winner of 2007 AGWPJA, he has been receiving many requests from to do shoots overseas and he turned down all of them because he feels that he can make a lot more money by staying put in Philippines, where he has a lot more control over things.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Best is to buy an entire shop unit. Renovate it to your style of liking, then purchase professional studio equipment - all at a go. So no need to lease. You do well in your biz, a few years can cover back one; even shorter period of time, if based on your calculation.
    I think so too. That's what i have in mind. If i can win some WPJAP watnot then blow trumpet in my blog i think it will be battle half won. Nowsaday, it's all about advertising yourself to the public. But of course, must work hard la, then money will roll in. Then u shoot crap people will savour like gold.

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Then you'll have to learn from the guys who go overseas how much you need to charge a client before you can make money from an overseas shoot.

Just got back last week after 2 weeks of overseas shoot and I brought along an assistant who is also thinking of going fulltime next year as wedding photographer. Many of my clients are like "wa, so shiok can go Paris/UK to shoot." I wish it is that straight forward, and European countries ain't like Singapore - rampant thefts, pickpocket (my client got his wallet stolen on our first day there), getting stopped by police even though it is a public place and you have every right to take photos. Half the time we were looking out for dodgy characters I carry my CF cards with me all the time in case my camera and all gets stolen...the list of things that are beyond your control goes on and on.

For the assistant, learning the techniques is just a small part of the equation of the overseas wedding shoot; being able to calculate and factor in all the costs (e.g. transport from airport to hotel alone costs at least SGD$110; meals in Europe cost you SGD$150+ a day per person unless you're bringing maggi mee there...yes breakfast with just a crossiant and black coffee cost you easily SGD$14) is far more important, else you're better off doing local shoots in Singapore. I had a coffee session with Dino Lara from Philippines and being a winner of 2007 AGWPJA, he has been receiving many requests from to do shoots overseas and he turned down all of them because he feels that he can make a lot more money by staying put in Philippines, where he has a lot more control over things.
    I am not really sure what you are driving at. Stay in Singapore because it is safe and cheap. Don't go travel? I am sure this is not the case, right?

I believe those who take up these overseas assignment must have did a good calculation before agreeing to it. If you noticed, they went during the hungry ghost festival period. Coincident?

About Dino Lara case, if he really wanted to visit a country and people are willingly to fly him there, I am sure he will give it a good thought.

I think so too. That's what i have in mind. If i can win some WPJAP watnot then blow trumpet in my blog i think it will be battle half won. Nowsaday, it's all about advertising yourself to the public. But of course, must work hard la, then money will roll in. Then u shoot crap people will savour like gold.
    If only that was so simple....

I am not really sure what you are driving at. Stay in Singapore because it is safe and cheap. Don't go travel? I am sure this is not the case, right?

I believe those who take up these overseas assignment must have did a good calculation before agreeing to it. If you noticed, they went during the hungry ghost festival period. Coincident?

About Dino Lara case, if he really wanted to visit a country and people are willingly to fly him there, I am sure he will give it a good thought.
    I think what Stephen meant was that its not that simple as couple wants you to go then you agree immediately to go just because you want to go. There are alot of hidden costs in doing a shoot overseas and its not as glamourous as it seems to shoot overseas. Yes, we do get to travel and sightsee when we shoot weddings overseas but there are alot of things we cannot do when we are there just so that we can be fit and healthy for the actual shoot. Things like cannot anyhow eat street food, always eating hotel food so you don't get diarrhoea in a foreign land. I mean there goes half the fun in traveling alre. Then there so many things you cannot do, cannot surf cos afraid you might break you leg, etc etc. Precautions you have to take to ensure you make it to the shoot. Then there's the jetlag from traveling and all the preparation work for a overseas shoot that you may decide that it is much simpler to earn $$ from local shoots.

About the 7th Month thingy, you cannot make assumptions too. Some photographers are packed in August with local weddings. It really depends on clientele.

P.S. Stating more cons than pros doesn't mean i say its not good to do an overseas shoot. I am just pointing out what the cons are and its up to the individual to weight the pros vs cons and to decide for themselves whether to take up overseas assignment.

Interesting business model concept.
    Crap can be savoured like gold...
    http://thepeepingthom.com/ :: pre-weddings :: portraits ::

What I'm driving at is, unless you are charging alot more than what you're getting for a local shoot, doing a job overseas isn't worth the all the additional planning and hassle. The time needed to travel and all, plus all the opportunity costs.. all these are part of the calculations too.

Though you may be right to say that more people goes overseas for shoot during 7th month. FYI, people are already making their 4th or 5th overseas assignment for the year by August. Moreover, some of us has client base with folks that get married regardless whether it's 7th month or not. Plus, opportunity isn't just restricted to weddings, there are commerical and editorial work as well and you have no idea how many jobs we had to turn down in order to travel for 2 weeks.

As for Dino Lara case, you'll be surprised how much people are willing to pay to fly him over, and it's not about whether he like to visit a country or not; for someone who shoots over 100+ weddings a year, and as many as 4 weddings over a weekend sometimes, travelling just doesn't make sense to him. And yes, we both do agree there will be folks who will be happy to fly overseas and shoot a wedding for free, but doing a project like that just doesn't make much business sense from your time.

In most businesses, the numbers need to be worked out from a MARKET SIZE perspective. In 2007, Singapore had 23,967 marriage registrations. Assuming, just for the sake of estimating the total market size, that everyone has AD photography, it works out to approx 460/week. To make the calculations valid for the AVERAGE entrant into the field, it means that the market cannot accomodate more than 230 photographers, each doing 2 ADs per week. There are more than that in the Singapore market, incl part timers etc so that simplistic calculation fails at the first hurdle of being a realistic estimate of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17 View Post
    I think what Stephen meant was that its not that simple as couple wants you to go then you agree immediately to go just because you want to go. There are alot of hidden costs in doing a shoot overseas and its not as glamourous as it seems to shoot overseas. Yes, we do get to travel and sightsee when we shoot weddings overseas but there are alot of things we cannot do when we are there just so that we can be fit and healthy for the actual shoot. Things like cannot anyhow eat street food, always eating hotel food so you don't get diarrhoea in a foreign land. I mean there goes half the fun in traveling alre. Then there so many things you cannot do, cannot surf cos afraid you might break you leg, etc etc. Precautions you have to take to ensure you make it to the shoot. Then there's the jetlag from traveling and all the preparation work for a overseas shoot that you may decide that it is much simpler to earn $$ from local shoots.

About the 7th Month thingy, you cannot make assumptions too. Some photographers are packed in August with local weddings. It really depends on clientele.

P.S. Stating more cons than pros doesn't mean i say its not good to do an overseas shoot. I am just pointing out what the cons are and its up to the individual to weight the pros vs cons and to decide for themselves whether to take up overseas assignment.
    All these are things are still very relevant to this thread because AD wedding can be an overseas one as well, and the pros have shared their experience in this aspect. Many people, my relatives, my clients do think it's a very glam job to be able to go overseas, but if you have to be so cautious and paranoid all the time, the stress... Do you know that I'm happiest when the plane finally land safely back in Singapore because I know that I've regained control over things?

Just to break it down some of the costs:

1. Air fare - I fly exclusively SQ, and yes, it is more costly but I rather charge that than to work with a razor thin margin by lowering the package cost and fly budget /european airlines. Air ticket to Europe starts from SGD$2300 (you want to book those that are flexi to allow you to change flights to earlier /later in event of emergencies)

2. Hotel. Average 3-stars hotel in Paris cost you at least SGD$140 a night. The one we stayed in is rated 3-stars with bare minimum facilities and doesn't come with a safe nor safe deposit box service. And trust me, you won't want to go to any hotel that are cheaper than that. So you fly there on day 1, shoot on day 2, fly back on day 3, that itself is at least 2 nights of hotel stay. My advice is NEVER ever get the client to book the hotel for you in case they book you into some cheap inns with questionable security.

3. Food. You can bring your own diet of maggi mee and biscult, macdonalds meal there cost at least SGD$14 a meal, and trust me, you won't want to eat that for the whole trip. Even drinking water has to be purchased at shops for SGD$2 - 4 simple because even the SGD$400+ a night hotel that my client stayed in doesn't have a water boiler in the room.

4. Transport. Airport transfers especially cab fares are very costly, and that itself would cost you SGD$120 easily, assuming there is no delay/traffic jam. Travelling around London /Paris in tubes/metro, ala their version of MRT, cos around SGD$2 - 4.5 PER trip within Zone 1 & 2 (the central area).

5. Insurance. Every photographer's nightmare is to fall sick or get injured while in another country, because there's just no way you can call your fella photographer to cover you. Same goes to equipment, my mirror from the canon 5D dropped out during an AD in Melbourne last year and Canon service centre there told me that it'll take 2 months to repair. You have to be just so disciplined - bed by 11pm; between alchohol and the more expensive sky or fruit juice, you have to choose the latter.

Yes, such disciplines should in place even for a wedding job in Singapore, but when nasty things happen overseas, there's definitely less room for ramification and much much harder for you to call for help.

6. Telephone bill. Overseas calls can go as much as SGD$40-80 a day.

The list goes on, and at this point, we are looking at conservatively SGD$4000 on just your costs for the project. Even at $8k per job for an overseas AD shoot, I'm still making more if I were to stay put in Singapore.

All these are things are still very relevant to this thread because AD wedding can be an overseas one as well, and the pros have shared their experience in this aspect. Many people, my relatives, my clients do think it's a very glam job to be able to go overseas, but if you have to be so cautious and paranoid all the time, the stress... Do you know that I'm happiest when the plane finally land safely back in Singapore because I know that I've regained control over things?

Just to break it down some of the costs:

1. Air fare - I fly exclusively SQ, and yes, it is more costly but I rather charge that than to work with a razor thin margin by lowering the package cost and fly budget /european airlines. Air ticket to Europe starts from SGD$2300 (you want to book those that are flexi to allow you to change flights to earlier /later in event of emergencies)

2. Hotel. Average 3-stars hotel in Paris cost you at least SGD$140 a night. The one we stayed in is rated 3-stars with bare minimum facilities and doesn't come with a safe nor safe deposit box service. And trust me, you won't want to go to any hotel that are cheaper than that. So you fly there on day 1, shoot on day 2, fly back on day 3, that itself is at least 2 nights of hotel stay. My advice is NEVER ever get the client to book the hotel for you in case they book you into some cheap inns with questionable security.

3. Food. You can bring your own diet of maggi mee and biscult, macdonalds meal there cost at least SGD$14 a meal, and trust me, you won't want to eat that for the whole trip. Even drinking water has to be purchased at shops for SGD$2 - 4 simple because even the SGD$400+ a night hotel that my client stayed in doesn't have a water boiler in the room.

4. Transport. Airport transfers especially cab fares are very costly, and that itself would cost you SGD$120 easily, assuming there is no delay/traffic jam. Travelling around London /Paris in tubes/metro, ala their version of MRT, cos around SGD$2 - 4.5 PER trip within Zone 1 & 2 (the central area).

5. Insurance. Every photographer's nightmare is to fall sick or get injured while in another country, because there's just no way you can call your fella photographer to cover you. Same goes to equipment, my mirror from the canon 5D dropped out during an AD in Melbourne last year and Canon service centre there told me that it'll take 2 months to repair. You have to be just so disciplined - bed by 11pm; between alchohol and the more expensive sky or fruit juice, you have to choose the latter.

Yes, such disciplines should in place even for a wedding job in Singapore, but when nasty things happen overseas, there's definitely less room for ramification and much much harder for you to call for help.

6. Telephone bill. Overseas calls can go as much as SGD$40-80 a day.

The list goes on, and at this point, we are looking at conservatively SGD$4000 on just your costs for the project. Even at $8k per job for an overseas AD shoot, I'm still making more if I were to stay put in Singapore.

Well said, wow you can get $140 per night in Paris, The cheapest I could find is 120 Euros for 3star and and some days are more expensive than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain View Post
    Well said, wow you can get $140 per night in Paris, The cheapest I could find is 120 Euros for 3star and and some days are more expensive than others.
    Booked online, managed to get 30% discount... 5 minutes walk to Effiel tower, let me know if you want the hotel contact

Had to scrim and save some dough to buy chocolate from La Maison du Chocolat and Pierre Marcollini for my folks, chewing on one right now as I'm typing. Item #1 of 2 on my shopping list for Paris, and I only had time to buy them while the couple were doing their 2nd makeup in the van.

Oops, OT.

Booked online, managed to get 30% discount... 5 minutes walk to Effiel tower, let me know if you want the hotel contact

Had to scrim and save some dough to buy chocolate from La Maison du Chocolat and Pierre Marcollini for my folks, chewing on one right now as I'm typing. Item #1 of 2 on my shopping list for Paris, and I only had time to buy them while the couple were doing their 2nd makeup in the van.

Oops, OT.
    tsk tsk tsk

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast