Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 292

Thread: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

  1. #121

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Now that you mentioned it, I do noticed this trend too.

    What got me started on taking wedding as part time is so that I can pay off my equipment. Which I did. All my current equipment has been already paid for.

    I do scarifice some personal time doing the shoot and processing them. But I do enjoy al my assignment so far.

    One day, I would like to go full time. Seeing Joho and Will03 being able to go overseas and take a vacation and still bringing in money really inspired me.
    Personally, I don't think wedding photographers in the business go out of their way to discourage anyone from coming into the business. Most of the time, it's more of "open your eyes before you jump in". I tell that to people who sometimes tag along with me for shoots, and I'm sure anyone of those people can vouch for me that I don't discourage them from working in this industry full time - some of them actually have taken that step!

    However, as they go through with me the workflow and business, most will realise that there's more to wedding photography than shooting, besides the fact that it's really hard work. Before being a full-time wedding photographer, I didn't really see this side of things - meeting clients, managing expectations, marketing etc that makes up the business. Sometimes, it's difficult to see that when you have a stable income that gives you a monthly paycheck because I was once like that too

    Profitably is obviously essential to survival but then it's different strokes for different folks since what each of us deem as "enough" is different. Personally, even though I have well-paying clients and a fairly sustainable business (for now heh!), I don't see myself being able to retire as a wedding photographer anytime soon. Then again, that's my definition of standard of living.

  2. #122

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks View Post
    Personally, I don't think wedding photographers in the business go out of their way to discourage anyone from coming into the business. Most of the time, it's more of "open your eyes before you jump in". I tell that to people who sometimes tag along with me for shoots, and I'm sure anyone of those people can vouch for me that I don't discourage them from working in this industry full time - some of them actually have taken that step!

    However, as they go through with me the workflow and business, most will realise that there's more to wedding photography than shooting, besides the fact that it's really hard work. Before being a full-time wedding photographer, I didn't really see this side of things - meeting clients, managing expectations, marketing etc that makes up the business. Sometimes, it's difficult to see that when you have a stable income that gives you a monthly paycheck because I was once like that too

    Profitably is obviously essential to survival but then it's different strokes for different folks since what each of us deem as "enough" is different. Personally, even though I have well-paying clients and a fairly sustainable business (for now heh!), I don't see myself being able to retire as a wedding photographer anytime soon. Then again, that's my definition of standard of living.
    I think what lancey meant is in this forum. Not those face to face situation.

    So, did you regretted making the move?

    About the retirement part, don't worry too much. Cos most of us will be working till 68 and might still need to flip burger after we retired.

  3. #123

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Interesting to see some ppl here to says that weddings professionals here discourage ppl from coming in to this industry.

    Most gives their point of view of being an professionals, their experience as well, infact no line i see indicates the "pls dun step in" at all.

    So many come and go, infact, as one pointed out, pls open ur eyes big big before u jump in, it's not as easy as u think it shd be.

    By the way, where is the sentences that discourage ppl from stepping in??
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  4. #124

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Everyone can be a wedding photographer, as same as everyone can cook. It's just a matter of how good and what is enough.

    Some works happliy for $600 a day, some $3000 a day. Which group u belongs to??

    Nobody actually cares abt how many jump to weddings, no body cares abt how many quitted weddings, cos the share is good enough all year round. Some wanna shoot 50 weddings a year, some take only 20 a year. U gotta realised that u only have a pair of hands, and limited stamina for it. Make a guess, how many weddings per year.

    Some says pro dun encourage, i felt that there is not much to encourage at all. It's damn hard work, money may not be good (surprised many felt the other way). Why are we still in this line, cos some work full time on this, and weddings is part of the income. Some work only on weddings. Besides, for me, i dun have any cert to go other trades.

    Also, for those who felt that pros discourage, maybe join the next sessions of workshop. The previous one was 13th august, speaker is Ckuang. Panels from WPN.

    Now who says weddings professionals dun encourage. Before u says so, check around.

    Some wanna pay off equipment, so joined in, some got passions, some for funs, but can l noe, how serious will u go?
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  5. #125

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Interesting to see some ppl here to says that weddings professionals here discourage ppl from coming in to this industry.

    Most gives their point of view of being an professionals, their experience as well, infact no line i see indicates the "pls dun step in" at all.

    So many come and go, infact, as one pointed out, pls open ur eyes big big before u jump in, it's not as easy as u think it shd be.

    By the way, where is the sentences that discourage ppl from stepping in??
    Just as soon as the question of "who discouraged ppl from stepping in?" comes about, it's also necessary to ask whoever says wedding photographers' job is peanuts. Or that you could become rich easily by going into wedding photography. I'm still trying to figure out where that assumption comes from.

    I think what newbies and those interested in the profession want to know is what it takes to be a wedding photographer, the pricing, etc. I don't see the explicit assumption of "photographer has an easy job with good money" as many full-time wedding photographers here seem to be saying.

    So far the tone of the discussion given by the full-time photogs seems to be the overheads are high, are you sure you can be one, don't think it's easy, etc that gives it the "discouragng" feeling I suppose. On the contrary, I think being objective in describing the job is important.

    Honestly, whoever says his or her job is easy or that money is enough? Since when is it ever enough? I have a lawyer friend who earns close to $20k a month and he wants more. A millionaire whose seminar I attended says he can't retire as his rich lifestyle demands that he continues to work. I guess many amateurs would like to hear more of the positive aspects of the job here.

    Despite the kind of flowery, sometimes, unfortunately, over-baked stories/blogs/articles/journals written by some photographers which you can read them in their websites or even over here, it's undeniable that there must be a certain amount of comfort level in terms of $ which they can earn from the profession. You can write thousands of "Oooohhh, I can get tingling satisfaction in my heart when I capture the split-second shot" descriptions, but let's face it -- If the job doesn't pay, you'd spend more than 1/2 your time worrying whether there's enough $ to buy milk powder for your kids or appease your wife. Then, maybe you'd probably feel a nagging pain in the heart rather than that "tingling satisfaction".

  6. #126

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Just as soon as the question of "who discouraged ppl from stepping in?" comes about, it's also necessary to ask whoever says wedding photographers' job is peanuts. Or that you could become rich easily by going into wedding photography. I'm still trying to figure out where that assumption comes from.

    I think what newbies and those interested in the profession want to know is what it takes to be a wedding photographer, the pricing, etc. I don't see the explicit assumption of "photographer has an easy job with good money" as many full-time wedding photographers here seem to be saying.

    So far the tone of the discussion given by the full-time photogs seems to be the overheads are high, are you sure you can be one, don't think it's easy, etc that gives it the "discouragng" feeling I suppose. On the contrary, I think being objective in describing the job is important.

    Honestly, whoever says his or her job is easy or that money is enough? Since when is it ever enough? I have a lawyer friend who earns close to $20k a month and he wants more. A millionaire whose seminar I attended says he can't retire as his rich lifestyle demands that he continues to work. I guess many amateurs would like to hear more of the positive aspects of the job here.

    Despite the kind of flowery, sometimes, unfortunately, over-baked stories/blogs/articles/journals written by some photographers which you can read them in their websites or even over here, it's undeniable that there must be a certain amount of comfort level in terms of $ which they can earn from the profession. You can write thousands of "Oooohhh, I can get tingling satisfaction in my heart when I capture the split-second shot" descriptions, but let's face it -- If the job doesn't pay, you'd spend more than 1/2 your time worrying whether there's enough $ to buy milk powder for your kids or appease your wife. Then, maybe you'd probably feel a nagging pain in the heart rather than that "tingling satisfaction".
    I don't think anyone ever implied that it doesn't pay. Like you said, how much is enough right? There are those who have given up cushy, well paying jobs to do this. Call it cliche, but you do need a certain amount of "passion" to do this. Personally, besides the monetary incentives, I do feel that "tingling satisfaction" - not so much when I get that moment, but when clients are grateful that I've done a good job for them. To me, that is a perk of the job. Unfortunately, things like high overheads, dealing with nasty clients, pressure of delivering - the "negatives" - are realities in this business that aspiring full-time wedding photographers need to think about.

    Am I sounding -ve yet?

  7. #127

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks View Post
    I don't think anyone ever implied that it doesn't pay. Like you said, how much is enough right? There are those who have given up cushy, well paying jobs to do this. Call it cliche, but you do need a certain amount of "passion" to do this. Personally, besides the monetary incentives, I do feel that "tingling satisfaction" - not so much when I get that moment, but when clients are grateful that I've done a good job for them. To me, that is a perk of the job. Unfortunately, things like high overheads, dealing with nasty clients, pressure of delivering - the "negatives" - are realities in this business that aspiring full-time wedding photographers need to think about.

    Am I sounding -ve yet?
    About "wedding photography doesn't pay", it's not quite an assumption, but an explicitly stated sentence by many full-timers! If you read the previous posts, many of them will mention "it doesn't pay well, so don't get the wrong assumption it does, or that it's an easy job". So it's more like their assumption I think, not the newbies'. I feel like they get all defensive about their jobs.

    Overheads, nasty clients, etc etc... these are problems not unique to photographers. Anyone doing business will encounter that. Whose job is plain simple?

    Even athletes who win Golds in the Olympics make it look so easy. But behind it is a lot of hard work. Perhaps fear and even depression.

    What I feel is there should be an objective discussion, a fair share of pros and cons, perks and downsides. But like I said, there seems to be more of the reminder "it doesn't pay, hard work, it's not easy, you sure you are up to it, etc etc" comments.

  8. #128

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    It's not easy to think of the pros and cons, i must write down individually.

    Besides, the pros not that much compared to cons. As u mention, all jobs not easy. Tried to explain but it's not well taken in.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  9. #129

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    I think it's not how many pros there are more than the cons which determines if the job is attractive. It's the quality. Everything's about that, isn't it? If there are 2 "pros" and 10 "cons", for example, but the "pros" make you feel happy enough, it's good enough to stay on the job.

    For those full-time wedding photographers who feel they are not having it good, why stay on... maybe it's time to switch jobs?

  10. #130

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    I think it's not how many pros there are more than the cons which determines if the job is attractive. It's the quality. Everything's about that, isn't it? If there are 2 "pros" and 10 "cons", for example, but the "pros" make you feel happy enough, it's good enough to stay on the job.

    For those full-time wedding photographers who feel they are not having it good, why stay on... maybe it's time to switch jobs?
    I think it is human nature, not particularly full time photographer. In this competitive world, everyone want to appear busy and appear underpaid (so that boss will hopefully realised that and give me a raise?).

    Everytime I asked my colleague if he is busy, he always said he is busy. And if I asked him if his pay enough to support his lifestyle, he always said not enough.

  11. #131

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    I think you guys are starting to twist what's been said. If you aren't gonna believe what's gonna be said anyway, then why ask? Stick to your cushy jobs and continue fantasizing how lovely this heavenly kingdom is. Or quit your day jobs, join us, make it big, and post on this forum to say what we said were lies.
    Last edited by shinken; 1st September 2008 at 03:59 PM.

  12. #132

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    I think you guys are starting to twist what's been said. If you aren't gonna believe what's gonna be said anyway, then why ask? Stick to your cushy jobs and continue fantasizing how lovely this heavenly kingdom is. Or quit your day jobs, join us, make it big, and post on this forum to say what we said were lies.
    Well said.

    Too bad, notice that those who make it big (the better known photographers, you all should know who they are) won't waste their time on this post.

  13. #133

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Well said.

    Too bad, notice that those who make it big (the better known photographers, you all should know who they are) won't waste their time on this post.
    Waste their time here to be bombarded by the likes of you? Why would it affect them that one more guy crash and burn when they fly before first checking their wings? Like you said, they already made it big, one more, one less, doesn't matter to them at all.

    So I shouldn't waste my time too.

    Neither should you, don't you think?

  14. #134

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Waste their time here to be bombarded by the likes of you? Why would it affect them that one more guy crash and burn when they fly before first checking their wings? Like you said, they already made it big, one more, one less, doesn't matter to them at all.

    So I shouldn't waste my time too.

    Neither should you, don't you think?
    Huh? Bro, you getting personal here. Bombarded by me? Since when? You sure you got the right person? Please show me where I bombarded.

    If you feel miserable then switch jobs lor.

    Ha, you seem to imply you've made it big since you said you shouldn't be wasting your time here?

    I don't mind wasting my time, cos I'm not a full-time wedding photographer. So I have the time to spare. To be honest, I'm waiting for 5pm to come. You?

    P.S. Gosh, you are Colourdots?? Opps....

  15. #135
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    pls keep this civilised thanx.. and speak plainly without things between the lines that can be misconstrued as being personal.

    wouldn't it be such a pity if i have to close this thread?

  16. #136

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Many pros did switch job.

    But many failed.

    For me, i cannot dun do, got weddings come along, i will do it. I have no other source of income besides photography, unlike many here, like then do, dun like dun do attitude.

    Why dun quit? Cos how to quit? Those who do it part-time definitly can do at a more relax situation, for me, it's more then a ricebowl.

    Same goes to ppl who wanna jump in, u wanna know the pros and quality of life enjoyment involve? Then the answer to that varies from ppl to ppl, some happy with $4k, some happy with $2k, some got job happy liao. Some eat hawker also enjoy, some must listen to high end stuff musics, so how to let u guys know the full pros here?

    But the true facts of cons remains the same. And the cons will be forever bigger then the pros.

    I enjoy shooting weddings still, but i prefered shorter hrs infact. Some shoot with a heart, some take it as a event, so very hard to tell the pros.....

    But telling the cons easy.

    When good things happen, ppl see, when bad things happen, ppl shout. Got it?

    I am trying my best to let u guys know that been weddings photographers is no joke, and handling difficult clients will really makes u sick.

    Many here enjoy shootings weddings, but as days goes by, when u are handling more and more, u will feels it's toll. Infact i did take a break from shooting families portraits before, cos handling camera makes me sick that time.

    Pls go ahead, and i sincerely welcome u guys who believes that what we are doing are discouraging u guys from doing, step in, and enjoy.

    I sense there are no point repeating this and that, as i can see, most will not post anymore, cos ppl dun believe what we told them.

    Pros of shooting weddings depends on each individual, but the cons are the same to all. Up to u guys to interpret what is pros and cons.

    By the way, asking why so damn difficult, why dun quit? I was wondering how many can quit from a full time job?
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  17. #137

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Damn I should have taken up medicine and be a doctor. But instead I'm stuck in what I do now and cannot switch jobs.

    No point explaining to salaried pple who dun really comprehend the full picture, as they only choose to see the good and interpret the cons stated by so many here as 'discouragement'. Best to really experience it is to take a deep dive and swim in the same pool as full time photographers. No words here in this thread will do better than personal experience.

  18. #138

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Huh? Bro, you getting personal here. Bombarded by me? Since when? You sure you got the right person? Please show me where I bombarded.

    If you feel miserable then switch jobs lor.

    Ha, you seem to imply you've made it big since you said you shouldn't be wasting your time here?

    I don't mind wasting my time, cos I'm not a full-time wedding photographer. So I have the time to spare. To be honest, I'm waiting for 5pm to come. You?

    P.S. Gosh, you are Colourdots?? Opps....
    Huh? Personal? Since when? I don't feel miserable, what makes you think so? No wonder you misconstrued the majority of the posts. I love my job, I love doing what I do. Sure I make sacrifices here and there and the going gets tough now and then, but I'm living my dream.

    I'm implying that I made it big? I don't want to end up insulting your inferential abilities dude, but I think you got it wrong. I mean I should follow those who made it big and not waste time on this thread like you said. Darn, I did it again, wasted more time on this thread. No wonder I'm not a big-timer. Clear enough this time?

    Oh yes, I'm Ken, the founder/photographer of Colourdots Photography. Wedding photography specialist. I live and breathe wedding photography, and love to see clients enjoying my work. And you are?

  19. #139
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Damn I should have taken up medicine and be a doctor. But instead I'm stuck in what I do now and cannot switch jobs.

    No point explaining to salaried pple who dun really comprehend the full picture, as they only choose to see the good and interpret the cons stated by so many here as 'discouragement'. Best to really experience it is to take a deep dive and swim in the same pool as full time photographers. No words here in this thread will do better than personal experience.
    Swimming in muddy water!

    Any Pro worth his/her salt would not encourage anyone to come into the trade. It would be irresponsible not to highlight the pains and only talk about the gains. Gain is given, to survive and do well, do they need to say more?

    Itís the pain that we share, itís not to discourage newbies to come in to fight for the pie but to re-enforce the needs of professionalism. They do not want cowboys in the trade, photogs that want to make a quick buck, or clowns that come and goÖ.. leaving a trail of **** for others to clear, etc. Most of all, leaving a bad image for wedding photographers.

    In all honesty, a Pro would realize that it takes more than skill and quality to survive, let alone do well. We are probably looking at 10% or less of wedding photographers that are doing OK or well, whom are coming forward to share their pain and gain.

    WPAS had a ďMembers' NetworkingĒ just 3 weeks ago. Kuang was the Keynote Speaker with a panel of whoís who in the wedding photography trade. Lots of sharing, interaction and ideas exchange. 100 turned up, about half are part-timers or thinking of going into the trade. Non-members paid $10 to attend, barely enough to cover cost. WPAS and members did not go thru these activities to discourage but to share and built professionalism in the trade.

    Itís so pathetic to come into a photography biz forum asking or looking for info to eventually compete with them, gotten some info and facts, doubt their sincerity, challenge them, being sarcastic, even ungrateful. Humility is a process of growing and learning.

    Iím not a wedding photographer; wedding photographers are my clients for coffee table books. Iíve grown to like the trade, respect the fellowships and want to contribute to help it to grow. Itís my way of paying back to the trade that had help me to grow.

    What are you doing as a wedding photographer?
    What do you intend to do if you are not a wedding photographer yet?
    just1book, no kidding!

  20. #140

    Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    About "wedding photography doesn't pay", it's not quite an assumption, but an explicitly stated sentence by many full-timers! If you read the previous posts, many of them will mention "it doesn't pay well, so don't get the wrong assumption it does, or that it's an easy job". So it's more like their assumption I think, not the newbies'. I feel like they get all defensive about their jobs.

    Overheads, nasty clients, etc etc... these are problems not unique to photographers. Anyone doing business will encounter that. Whose job is plain simple?

    Even athletes who win Golds in the Olympics make it look so easy. But behind it is a lot of hard work. Perhaps fear and even depression.

    What I feel is there should be an objective discussion, a fair share of pros and cons, perks and downsides. But like I said, there seems to be more of the reminder "it doesn't pay, hard work, it's not easy, you sure you are up to it, etc etc" comments.
    The point is that it's different when you're the owner of the business and your livelihood depends on it. If you were working for someone, why would (for eg) high overheads worry you - other than the fact that you may get downsized when the company decides to downsize. It's not a direct impact in the latter case. Which other business were we talking about? Are you referring to aspiring photographers who are trying to switch businesses? Because all that I've read seem to be coming from people who are contemplating switching from their current job, or school leavers etc.

    I take your point that there could be those who cast an unfavourable light on this business. But I would give the benefit of doubt as to whether it's because they are defending turf.

    PS: Just because I don't post often does not mean that I don't read posts. "it doesn't pay well, so don't get the wrong assumption it does, or that it's an easy job". "Well" is subjective don't you think? And it's really not an easy job
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 1st September 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •