Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Becos he want to earn? Of cos, I know that.

I am asking how did you came up with the album is selling around $300?

"Service rate does not include material, the album is selling around $300 (low end rate)
    so the chargeable service rate is only $35 per hour, ($650-$300)/10 hours."

Head getting bigger and bigger.. And so far, only a handful actually answer the main question. "How much do you charge?"

For the record, I charge $650-800. Depending on the physical hour I need to be with the couple.
    the time you spend to buy an album,
    the cost of storing an album,
    the wastage if you damage an album,
    the time you slot in the photos into album,
    the cost of prints,
    the wastage of prints,
    the time you go to lab,
    the transportation from home to lab, etc etc,
    of course you have to make a decent profit for making the album, else you are wasting time and money doing it for free.

don't forget you are only charging couple for time on shooting a wedding, if the selling album don't cover your time and money, might as well just pass the CD to the couple ask them to print it themself.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I am not too sure what an average Singaporean pay but I am taking home 2.5K per mth.
    If you can't have kids or give wife money(do we still gave wife allowance? I gave allowance to my parent though) with 5K income, how can people like me survive?
    please refer to post #50.

cash inflow = turnover = sale ≠ profit

Sometimes for pple who earns a fixed salary, it may be possible to overlook the 'cost' factor of things. Let's just say (for the sake of an example) that the company you work for charges you for things like:
    - rent of your desk in the office
    - office equipment (computer, software, stationary, etc.)
    - your business cards (u pay your own)
    - shared office utility bills

If such costs kicks in, do u think that drawing a salary of 3 - 5k per month is enough? Less the above mentioned costs, it is likely that a significant portion of your 'salary' is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    You're still not getting it. 5k cash inflow is not 5k income. If my cash inflow is 5k, I am bringing home less than half of your 2.5k.
    Then how much per mth inflow?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the time you spend to buy an album,
    the cost of storing an album,
    the wastage if you damage an album,
    the time you slot in the photos into album,
    the cost of prints,
    the wastage of prints,
    the time you go to lab,
    the transportation from home to lab, etc etc,
    of course you have to make a decent profit for making the album, else you are wasting time and money doing it for free.

don't forget you are only charging couple for time on shooting a wedding, if the selling album don't cover your time and money, might as well just pass the CD to the couple ask them to print it themself.
    I see. Thanks. Normally, if just give CD, I charge $650. With 300 prints and album, I charge $800.

I prefer to print myself then asking the couple to print because I know where to send the print with good result. They might just send it to a neighbourhood shop which might have lousy quality. Treat it as a customer services for me.

Without divulging my full business model and operations, I wouldn't be able to throw you a number and make sense of it. Which of course, is something I'm uncomfortable with. Just curious, why would you want to know?

My point of engaging in this discussion is, there is a large variety of business models for wedding day photography today, and there's no 'one' way of charging to make 'decent' income. Business ends up to be a lot more complex than it actually seems. What's realistic to one person (per hourly rate for wedding day) may be vastly insufficient (not out of greed, but out of business model) when compared to someone else.

There are end clients who frequent these forums but not participate. If they leave with the impression that a 'fair' charge is $16/hr, then they'd think those who charge $150/hr are charging 10 times more than they should, those who charge $300/hr are charging 20 times more than they should. That is definitely a false impression. People use numbers to suit they way they want to interpret the world, even scientific researchers. Not everyone would look through each post to be more perceptive and understanding.

Everyday I wonder if I have made the mistake of not accepting the offer from this one mentor who made a world of difference to my photography to join his studio. Then I can just concentrate on pursuing my art.
    Last edited by shinken; 29th August 2008 at 08:34 PM.

Deregistered

If you have any couple that only has $800 to spend on their actual day wedding photograher. Please pass them him. I will give you a angbow of $100.

Please PM me...

I see. Thanks. Normally, if just give CD, I charge $650. With 300 prints and album, I charge $800.

I prefer to print myself then asking the couple to print because I know where to send the print with good result. They might just send it to a neighbourhood shop which might have lousy quality. Treat it as a customer services for me.
    This is not customer service, customer service is to tell them that you can do a better job than let them DIY at a cost, you are throwing your potential profit away.

anyway, where to print their photos is their choice, so be it.
    Last edited by catchlights; 1st September 2008 at 12:25 PM.

you want to know how much he earn? than have to wait till shinken listed his company, and read the annual report.

$500 - $5000 per job?

Actually in the end, it's still the deliverables that count.

If the photographer can't deliver, then don't even try to charge as anything can happen during a wedding.

you want to know how much he earn? than have to wait till shinken listed his company, and read the annual report.

You're so funny. My beef kuay tiao nearly come out

Then, I really want to know. Of cos, if he don't mind to reveal.
    I don't mind revealing because anyone can find out simply by sending an email to my office asking for prices. If based on TS question, 10 hrs of coverage and 300 prints, my coverage will start from $5500 onwards. For a 10 hour wedding as the above mentioned is a bare bones package, we generally advise people to budget around $8k.

While people think it is a lot, it's not really a lot and actually some of the guys who shoot for less but shoot higher quantity actually make a lot more than I do as I don't generally shoot more than 3-4 weddings a month. I know many people are going "wah how can you not make money with those rates?" but here's a little secret about the high end market. While the numbers looks glamorous, the reality isn't. Why? Because it cost more to play in the high end market too. Wining and dining your high end clients cost more than wining and dining mid or low end clients because their expectations are higher. Eg, your client wants to meet you to talk to you about something. They're about to spend say 10K with you, you're not going to get away with meeting him/her at Macdonalds. You gotta take them to a really really nice place to talk business. That's just the way it is. The final deliverables, ie packaging, prints etc, need to be a much higher quality. Any problems with the $4k album, no questions asked. You just take it back and give them a whole new one even if it means you take a loss on that client. And when you lose you lose in the thousands. So what are our margins? we generally take a gross (mind you gross not nett) of around 25%-30% of total revenue which is about average for this industry.

So if it's not that profitable and why do it? Well, first, based on my personality, i can't wrap my mind around a mass business model. I actually truly believe that to make the real big money, it's in the mass market, but my flaw is that i do not understand the market and what they want exactly. And as i said, I can't stand listening to some romantic jazz 20 nights a month. Just don't have it in me.

So why continue in this high cash flow low profit industry? simple because for me there is a certain power in cash flow. My target is not necessarily profitability or the immediate realization of profit. That will come at a later time. So unless your goal is to exploit cash flow (which in itself is a dangerous game), you should really be concentrating on profitability. But really any serious business person would look at my accounts and laugh (well actually my financial planner does that already) because it's not a real money making business to be in, in Singapore anyway. It's an ok lifestyle and at my rates I can probably retire when I'm oh about 70 years.

Hopefully this post brings about reality for a lot of people thinking about joining the industry just because of they hear of the "big" numbers being thrown around or for photographers thinking the high end market is more profitable than the mid or low end market. Anyway, as a closer, I'd advice a photographer getting into this industry to think about how they plan on getting out before they get in. The exit is way more important than the entry. A wise banker told me that piece of advice years ago and every single day his saying is becoming more and more relevant.

Actually I think it's very lucrative (else why so many people get in?). People are just saying it's "not really profitable" so less people will get in and less competition ensues.. What's new?

Look at the photog's website and call to ask his/her rates. If u think u can do better than what he/she's showing, charge the same or more. That's the guideline. Every shooter should try a piece of the pie. It's just too big not to be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by lancey View Post
    Actually I think it's very lucrative (else why so many people get in?). People are just saying it's "not really profitable" so less people will get in and less competition ensues.. What's new?
    Yeah, some many people get in, but also have some many people get out, do you really notice?

Like many of us already said, not as profitable as many other people think, because we take it as doing a business, the fundamental and main motive of a business is making profit. Without sustainable profit, nobody will be in the right mind will want to carry on the business.

Of course it is a good source of income for many people doing as a side line, when they don't have to factor all the tangible and fix expense, all they only see the sale as in pure profit.

anyway, we are discussing this matter as in doing it a business manner. If you don't see it as in a business perspective. You will never be able to understand.

Look at the photog's website and call to ask his/her rates. If u think u can do better than what he/she's showing, charge the same or more. That's the guideline. Every shooter should try a piece of the pie. It's just too big not to be shared.
    every photographers also say I can shoot better than so and so, why shouldn't I charge same as or high then him?

Just go ahead and do what you see deem fit, this is a free market.

I never said this is not a business. I just said it's lucrative...and more people should join in and start their own wedding photography businesses and share the big PIE.

1) every photographers also say I can shoot better than so and so, why shouldn't I charge same as or high then him?

2) Just go ahead and do what you see deem fit, this is a free market.
    1) I dunno. why dun u? seems strange u r not already doing so.

2) i will and i believe many newcomers will be joining in and charging competitive rates and give the guys already inside a run for their money. Survival of the fittest.

1) I dunno. why dun u? seems strange u r not already doing so.

2) i will and i believe many newcomers will be joining in and charging competitive rates and give the guys already inside a run for their money. Survival of the fittest.
    are you say my rate still very low? or?

The best way to prove it is quit ones' day job, shooting for full time, shooting twenty thirty weddings and stay in business for at least one year than we discuss again.

btw, many new comers each year, but not many can last for three years in business.

Kuang, shinken and many, including myself are trying to share the operating cost is very high for professional photography.

if anyone don't believe it and decide throw away their potential profit.

go ahead, be my guest, it is not my profit anyway.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast