Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Default Re: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Quote Originally Posted by lancey View Post
    Im against undercutters too. either be a high end or free. No 2 ways about it the way i look at the market.Charging in between..hmmm...half past 6 la. Might as well dun do.
    actually i have to disagree with you on your second point.. if you put it this way, couples which are less well off are going to have a hard time. haha i feel that there is the low end, mid end and high end market for such services. how much you pay is proportionate to what you get. But i'm not even in wedding photography, i only shoot 2nd photog for close friends and relatives so i can't say i'm speaking from experience.

But to each his own
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Quote Originally Posted by gktat1 View Post
    Very educational post...
    As Winsonapm mentioned, it's the attitude you adopt when you read this thread.

I don't think any of the pros would insinuate anything because there are many silent readers in this forum, and some of them could be our clients even.

This pasar malam approach to pricing, is not just an indication of how much one really value their own work, but it will inhibit growth because there's no reward and motivation to create something out of the run-off-the-mill kind of photos. It's the same with this whole campaign about quality service, take camera gear for example, you'll find that the same lens will be sold at a fixed price in all the stores, no bargaining. So as a consumer, would you buy from the SLS ah beng if you know the store next to his shop sells the same thing at the same price?

I think most of us who have established our own clientele needn't worry about freelance or new comers undercutting us, because beyond a certain level, clients are looking for specific style and trust me, they're not going to swat the small stuffs like whether you are giving them 60 images only as compared to another chap who is going to give like 500 images for half the price. And yes, how you price will determine the market that you want to be in, and for those who are thinking of going full time pro, if you're planning to just stay within the $600-800 price point, then you're competiting with a lot of part-timers who are willing to go even lower because they don't really have all these operating costs and all to worry about.

Like most folks, I started off with $700-800 and could easily get 4 assignments a month on top of my day job. Moving the price point up is not just about being paid for giving the extra (let's face it, all of us worked for our performance bonus right?), but it's about finding that clientele who appreciate your work. Pricing my side at the mid range (between $1500 to $1800) was the worst decision I've made in my career - not only did I see my take up rate drop drastically, but managing client's expectations and believe it or not, the mid range group are the most difficult to deal with.

So what's the mid-range group like? I've had clients who will try everything and anything to squeeze you dry because they think they're paying a great deal. For example, they find 400+ properly edited images "extremely low" when compared to their friends that gotten 1500 images from their photographer; and oh albums, my policy now is clients don't get to choose what photos they want in their album because the best person to select and tell the story is still the photographer... I tried to implement that to the mid range group, 95% of them will still want to be able to choose their pictures and be prepared for lots of amendments if you don't specify the # of changes you'll make. Also, they expects you to shoot EVERYTHING, including those things that are outside of the context of the wedding assignment-their house interior, their pet dogs/cats.

And oh, winsonapm is going to snigger at this, I actually had a client who brought a ruler to measure the sample coffee table album to make sure it's 10x10". 3 days later, I got a phone call from the same chap who told me another photographer offered a book that measured 10x12" for the same package price, asked if I can offer a bigger book.

Moving to the $2000 to $2500 was like the tipping point and I wished I went to that band earlier but I had to spend considerable amount of time to revamp the images. From then on, I never had any couples who disagree to my no-group photos policy because they rather you focus on the documentary aspect of it and leave the group shots to their friend or hire my assistant photographer; suddenly, I feel that I've full artistic control over the images rather than chasing the must-haves or cliched shots from each wedding. Meeting clients has become more fun because they wasn't any negoitation with pricing (there's no such thing as discount/speical offer from me) and just like me, they are looking for the like-minded person to shoot their wedding day. I stopped hearing things like "ehhhh, how come you shoot the couple from the back one?" or the classic "so many black and white shots, is this package cheaper since there's no color ah?" Buttomline is, don't expect the lower price point clients to appreciate those artistic/cutting edge work, coz they never will.

I don't really care or bother to know how much the rest of the guys are charging, really. The big question would be, what kind of clients do you want to work with? Apart from the kind of photos you put on your website, the next important thing to do is price yourself RIGHT.

Gotta agreed on canturn abt the pricing part, the worst rate i charge is at $120 per hr, cos very little bussiness. The moment i charge $180 per hr, take up rates improved alot.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Hope you don't get me wrong but I find your posting a little strange, at least to me.

Im against undercutters too. either be a high end or free. No 2 ways about it the way i look at the market.Charging in between..hmmm...half past 6 la. Might as well dun do.
    You're against undercutters but not against people who shoot for free? Free shooters are the biggest undercutters of all time, this I think many of us, full time or part timers will agreed.

I checked your website. U belong to the mid end kind. Budget couples best for u . Can come out for kopi someday. Im still new.
    You want to charge $3K for a wedding, but yet you admit that you're new?

And being new, yet you are able to tell others which group of clients other people should be aiming for.
    Last edited by yqt; 2nd September 2008 at 04:24 PM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

On reviewing most of the posters here with wedding websites, i see no big diff in their quality of work or presentation. The guy who charges 4.5k a pop , to me, shoots like those who are not even a full time photog. U think u can relaly tell the quality, not to mention the content differences and skill levels just by looking at these all so similar pix?

That's why, im gonna go in charging at at least 3k. If they aren't happy they can go look for Tom who shoots exactly like me and charges at 600. It all boils down to selling yourself, basically. U provide a different environment to talk business, offer a cuppa and hang a plasma, it'll all be the difference..

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Hope you don't get me wrong but I find your posting a little strange, at least to me.

You're against undercutters but not against people who shoot for free? Free shooters are the biggest undercutters of all time, this I think many of us, full time or part timers will agreed.

You want to charge $3K for a wedding, but yet you admit that you're new?

And being new, yet you are able to tell others which group of clients other people should be aiming for.
    Im sorry u found it strange. But that's how my brain workss.

On reviewing most of the posters here with wedding websites, i see no big diff in their quality of work or presentation. The guy who charges 4.5k a pop , to me, shoots like those who are not even a full time photog. U think u can relaly tell the quality, not to mention the content differences and skill levels just by looking at these all so similar pix?

That's why, im gonna go in charging at at least 3k. If they aren't happy they can go look for Tom who shoots exactly like me and charges at 600. It all boils down to selling yourself, basically. U provide a different environment to talk business, offer a cuppa and hang a plasma, it'll all be the difference..
    I think you're looking at it too simply. While there are photographers who's final work are nothing to shout about but still can command top end price, this is the exception rather than the norm, on top of that, they are very good with how they say things.

Offering a cuppa, hang a plasma and a nice "sales showroom" is not going to make any photographer belong to the top price bracket.
    Last edited by yqt; 2nd September 2008 at 04:49 PM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I think you're looking at it too simply. While there are photographers who's final work are nothing to shout about but still can command top end price, this is the exception rather than the norm, on top of that, they are very good with how they say things.

Offering a cuppa, hang a plasma and a nice "sales showroom" is not going to make any photographer belong to the top price bracket.
    U can have your opinion on this of course.

U can have your opinion on this of course.
    Yeap, agreed to disagreed. Let's keep this forum this way.

Cheers

Kelvin, mind sharing what's the best way to advertise yourself besides word of mouth?

how did u get 7 weddings in 9 days? all by word of mouth?
    The best way to advertise would still be by word of mouth. The blogs help a lot too cause it is quite similar.

Unfortunately, I think there is no one right way to adopt for your advertising and marketing. Again, you have to understand who you are. That would help you adopt the right business model for you. When I first started, it was purely word of mouth. As the business grew, we started advertising, especially when we raised our rates. However, before you advertise, it would be wise to find out what kind of mileage will you get in return. Also, the ad that you put put is important because it tells a bigger audience of who you are. It could work against you if your ad sends out the wrong message.

Other avenues that you could employ would be to join associations and networks like WPJA and WPN. Other less obvious ones would be to treat people nice. I really enjoy talking and getting to know the banquet managers and captains. I see them as my colleagues and friends. In return, some of them have been the biggest pushers of our services. When I walk into the ballroom reception with the couple, they sometimes come up and put their arms around me and tell the couple they are in good hand. That we are the best photography house they know of. Now, that is something really powerful and something which you can't pay for.

Ok... I gotta catch my flight now. I am at the airport lounge in Paris.

Au Revoir!
    Last edited by iamasaint; 2nd September 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Thx Kelvin! I hope I can learn some ropes from you one day. when u free for kopi?

I am sorry for not being able to read all the discussions that have gone before this (it is 11 pages long already). But in Issue June 2008 of "Professional Photographer" (a UK magazine that I picked last Sun), http://www.professionalphotographer.co.uk/ there is an article titled: "Can working for free really be the right thing to do for your business". The issue was thorny for them too, but effectively when you work for free you are hoping for non-short term returns (create network, built up client base, charity work etc).

There will always be people who work for less, for free, for more.. almost in every profession, especially in those professions where you don't need a lisence or a degree before you can practise them..

Just my 2 cents.

-- Marios

Hi marios_pittas,

Trying to search on it, cannot find it. Even cut and paste and search also no use.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Moving to the $2000 to $2500 was like the tipping point and I wished I went to that band earlier but I had to spend considerable amount of time to revamp the images.
    hmmmm...so do you make $10K a month then? Just curious....seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Hi marios_pittas,

Trying to search on it, cannot find it. Even cut and paste and search also no use.
    Hi David..

If you like I could pass you my copy to read (pages 45~49, they also review the PC-Nikor 24mm f/3.5 pages 80~82.. sweet ).. you can buy me milo.. I got decaffed 3 weeks ago Just PM me and we can arrange to meet somewhere quietly and even discuss this..

-- Marios

Disclaimer: I do a lot of free charity shooting, not weddings.

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus View Post
    hmmmm...so do you make $10K a month then? Just curious....seriously...
    With or without deducting cost?

As i am curious also, canturn, how much context in ur package u improve inorder to change?

I am intending to change the context of what i am offering, no more 4R!! Only offer coffee table album.

I also dun wish to do the album, like Kelvin says, let someone else who are better to do, just concentrate in shooting.

This transitions will be tough to what i see. First, album cannot be cheap, else how to pay the DI artist. My service rates also need to increase, cos at the same time must build some new clients base.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    Hi David..

If you like I could pass you my copy to read (pages 45~49, they also review the PC-Nikor 24mm f/3.5 pages 80~82.. sweet ).. you can buy me milo.. I got decaffed 3 weeks ago Just PM me and we can arrange to meet somewhere quietly and even discuss this..

-- Marios

Disclaimer: I do a lot of free charity shooting, not weddings.
    Wow thanks, after u PM me some times ago, i also wanna meet u. Say tomolo abt 4pm?
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Wow thanks, after u PM me some times ago, i also wanna meet u. Say tomolo abt 4pm?
    Very possible.. Lets pm details

k, done.

but my english very poor, got points deducted for such hor, if u speak too good english then u must forgive me, the questions and Deadpoet can vouch for me.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

k, done.

but my english very poor, got points deducted for such hor, if u speak too good english then u must forgive me, the questions and Deadpoet can vouch for me.
    My Chinese worse! Appart from "thank you", "don't have", "tsien" (courtesy of my daughters), nothing else really....

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast