Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 88

Thread: 50mm owners

  1. #61

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    I own 50/1.2/1.4/1.8 and 55/1.2 all very good

    if you really want a "standard lens" try to find a 47mm/2.8

  2. #62

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by motionid View Post
    To all 50mm 1.8 owners.
    i wanna know is 50mm worth to buy?
    how often do you guys use a 50mm?
    what kinda shot u guys take using a 50mm?
    This is my 2 cents worth.
    50mm is approximately the FOV of a human eye and therefore good for portrait.
    At f/1.4 or f1.8, it helps to bring out the subject relative to the background by
    creating a nice blurring effect known as bokeh around the subject.

    That only make sense if you are on 35mm or FX camera. For DX, I personally
    feel lens near 30mm are more suitable due to crop factor really limit the amount of
    FOV on the DX may it be 1.3/1.5(canon) or 1.6(nikon)

    Of course, you can move around to compensate.

    It is totally up to your preference of which you want.
    But take note that at f/1.4, focusing of moving subjects are difficult.

    At least that's my experience with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which some claim there
    is front focus with it.

    But I rather blame it on the narrow DOF. I have some pictures taken at Comex 2008
    on the Sony Gallery Ladies.

    You can view them at My Flickr Set

    Because the ladies keep moving here and there, I generally use an aperture of f/3.5
    to make sure they are in focus.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  3. #63
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    I am using OM50mm F1.8 on my Olympus system and it make it 100mm (35mm equiv).... It pretty good. But I prefer my 25mm F2.8 with crop body, 50mm (35mm eqiv)

    may I know you guy are referring to 35mm Equiv or just the lens focal length?
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

  4. #64

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Hi, I use a D70s. Do I need a mount or something like that to fit this Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D lens to the camera body?

  5. #65
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonlenses View Post
    Hi, I use a D70s. Do I need a mount or something like that to fit this Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D lens to the camera body?
    No...

    just fit it on normally.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    I bought my first 50/1.4 blindly, couldn't find a use for it, and eventually sold it.

    About a year later, I realised that it would be useful for wedding portraits and such, so I bought another one (albeit a newer model), and also a used manual focus 50mm/1.2. It's more of a specialist lens, especially on a 1.5x crop format, so it still doesn't see much action. Maybe just 1% of the day's shoot is done with this lens, but it's still worth it because I can create something special with it. Love the shallow bokeh, and I almost always shoot at f/1.4.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    tampines
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Hi guys

    just asking,do you set tomanual focus or aotu focus when u use 50 mm??
    and for potrait shots do you use a flash??

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by motionid View Post
    Hi guys

    just asking,do you set tomanual focus or aotu focus when u use 50 mm??
    and for potrait shots do you use a flash??
    Most of the time i use AF. Yes u need a flash. If outdoors, u'll need a reflector too.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #69
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by motionid View Post
    Hi guys

    just asking,do you set tomanual focus or aotu focus when u use 50 mm??
    and for potrait shots do you use a flash??
    For portraits, it all depends on your direction, amount of light available to illuminate your model and what kind of effect you want. Flash, reflectors, screens, etc are all optional equipment.

    As for focusing, auto...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #70
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post

    That only make sense if you are on 35mm or FX camera. For DX, I personally
    feel lens near 30mm are more suitable due to crop factor really limit the amount of
    FOV on the DX may it be 1.3/1.5(canon) or 1.6(nikon)
    Should be 1.3/1.6 for canon and 1.5 for nikon

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    just check wif u u are using the 50mm/1/4 from sony ?
    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I bought my first 50/1.4 blindly, couldn't find a use for it, and eventually sold it.

    About a year later, I realised that it would be useful for wedding portraits and such, so I bought another one (albeit a newer model), and also a used manual focus 50mm/1.2. It's more of a specialist lens, especially on a 1.5x crop format, so it still doesn't see much action. Maybe just 1% of the day's shoot is done with this lens, but it's still worth it because I can create something special with it. Love the shallow bokeh, and I almost always shoot at f/1.4.

  12. #72

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    I think the best 50mm is the Carl Zeiss T* f1.4 wonderful bokeh and sharpness uncomprmised with that of Leica lens ....

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    sorry me very new to DSLR . carl Zeiss have 50mm? i though only sony have 50mm/F1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by vanscafe View Post
    I think the best 50mm is the Carl Zeiss T* f1.4 wonderful bokeh and sharpness uncomprmised with that of Leica lens ....

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by marcusy View Post
    sorry me very new to DSLR . carl Zeiss have 50mm? i though only sony have 50mm/F1.4
    Erm... Every other major camera brand has a 50mm f1.4 equivalent. (Canon, Nikon, Pentex, etc)

  15. #75
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Only got my 50mm 2 weeks ago, right from the first time it went into action, I started loving it . Can be a little tricky to use but when you get the hang of it the sharpness is and bokeh is reasonably nice.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Looking for a place....
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Total Newbie here. Don't know what is bokeh until came into clubsnap and saw lots of examples. Bought a 50mm f1.8 last week and it was shiok! Only bad part is sometimes images not really sharp as I still don't know how to use AF points properly.... But good lens for beginner, I feel.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Total Newbie here. Don't know what is bokeh until came into clubsnap and saw lots of examples. Bought a 50mm f1.8 last week and it was shiok! Only bad part is sometimes images not really sharp as I still don't know how to use AF points properly.... But good lens for beginner, I feel.
    Try selecting just the center focus point then using that alone to focus. Don't let the camera decide for you.

  18. #78

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Guess the reviews is not so bad. Will be buying it soon. Anyone wanna let go urs?
    Climbharder Divedeeper|ScubaClimber
    WEST Shooterz

  19. #79

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    I get myself my 50mm f1.8 by purchasing extra warranty. I do love it when I playing around it but after 2 weeks in Portugal, I realise I only shooting with my kit lens and I totally forget about the 50mm is sit inside my bag, arrggggghhh

    PS: I just got myself 450D at comex, so still playing around to learn about DSLR. Now only know to use Av, manual focus point ( auto AF point keep on focus on the parts I dun want).

  20. #80

    Default Re: 50mm owners

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylyk View Post
    I get myself my 50mm f1.8 by purchasing extra warranty. I do love it when I playing around it but after 2 weeks in Portugal, I realise I only shooting with my kit lens and I totally forget about the 50mm is sit inside my bag, arrggggghhh

    PS: I just got myself 450D at comex, so still playing around to learn about DSLR. Now only know to use Av, manual focus point ( auto AF point keep on focus on the parts I dun want).
    Hi fellow 450D user..come join us at Canon Rebel Xsi Club for 450D user. Lots to learn and share...cheers
    Climbharder Divedeeper|ScubaClimber
    WEST Shooterz

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •