Thread: Sunset RElaxation

Default Sunset RElaxation

Taken during a walkabout with the intention to capture sunset scenes.

However when I turned the corner and saw a man sitting in the pavilion with the setting sun behind, I was captivated and quickly composed the picture by zooming out.

I like this because there is a silhouette of a man which seems to be just enjoying the sunset.

Will like ur C&C on this.

Default Re: Sunset RElaxation

err, first thing off is that the pic is slanted.... and you might wan to clean off the bushes on the right of the pic...
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Heres some thoughts..

1) Tilted.

2) Theres this strange 'stick' comming out of the man's leg. If the intention was to focus on the man, he should remain as clean as possible. Try PS it away.

Else, i think u can play around with the color tone to get more effects. =)

Regards

immediately can feel the slant spoils the picture, and i dont know wad u use to edit ur photos but there seems to be alot of jpeg artefact marks where theres contrast...

like the others have said, this picture is obviously tilted.
    i believe you could have done better in composition.
    btw where was this taken?

The picture stands out. Nice composition. Don't worry too much about picture slant. A simple adj will fix it. You may want to do a little dodging on the horizontal beam where the man is sitting to bring it out a little. Overall - good capture!

Thanks all for the constructive criticisms. Always happy to have room for improvement.

I have made an effort to take into account the comments on the tilt and distracting "stick" like object sticking out from the knee. Actually that is a silhouette of a bridge.

So here is the newly adjusted and touched up picture. Hope it is better now.

Edit post to include photo information. Taken at 130 mm at f/8 according to photo information.

Last edited by moby; 25th August 2008 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deklan View Post
    immediately can feel the slant spoils the picture, and i dont know wad u use to edit ur photos but there seems to be alot of jpeg artefact marks where theres contrast...
    Hi Deklan, thanks for the comments, but I believe what you are seeing as "jpeg artefact" is in fact a faint silhouette of the hills behind him. But if the viewer did not know, it may really appear as what u mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by moby View Post
    Thanks all for the constructive criticisms. Always happy to have room for improvement.

I have made an effort to take into account the comments on the tilt and distracting "stick" like object sticking out from the knee. Actually that is a silhouette of a bridge.

So here is the newly adjusted and touched up picture. Hope it is better now.

Edit post to include photo information. Taken at 130 mm at f/8 according to photo information.

dude, where's this place? care to tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    like the others have said, this picture is obviously tilted.
    i believe you could have done better in composition.
    btw where was this taken?

More than happy to share. But maybe abit hard for you to get here because it is taken in Macau, Taipa Island.

More than happy to share. But maybe abit hard for you to get here because it is taken in Macau, Taipa Island.
    gee -.-
    no wonder i don find it at all familiar.
    haha.
    thanks.

i would say sad, sad... Such a location cannot be reshoot again in your conviencence... But dun give up! keep shooting and learning...
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

there aren't just jpg artefacts - there are also sharpening artefacts

if the threadstarter views it at larger size i think it will be very apparent where the artefacts are, based on quick eyeballing, i think the left slant of the pavillion has some, the trees have some. also, the man is "too razor sharp", he is standing out far too much from the picture.

the jpg artefacts are present in the sky - blotches of pixellated orange more prominently seen on the top left area. they aren't quite as obvious here, and to be fair, not always avoidable - even when i save at max due to "resizing" you will get pixellation of some sorts.

that said, this silhouette had potential, but its positioning is not that favourable, as the pavillion is mixing with trees on the left side. there is extra foilage peeking in on the right that is not needed in my opinion but that is correctable. the first point is not.

Hi Nigthmare, i see where u are getting at.

But is it inevitable that jpeg artifacts will appear when compressing a picture by some 90%? My original image is huge, so compressing for upload for web, is it generally that some changes will occur to the picture in the process. If so, then it is not the problem with the picture but rather the technology. That said, it would not be a "critique" per se, it is more critique of the technology. Or maybe you are pointing out to me where and what Jpeg artifacts are, if so, thanks, because initially i did not know what Jpeg Artifacts were.

Points like oversharpening, picture tilted, color wrong, composition off etc are all accepted critiques because they are within the control of the photographer. I am very happy to learn and improve from all, new or professional.

But is it inevitable that jpeg artifacts will appear when compressing a picture by some 90%? My original image is huge, so compressing for upload for web, is it generally that some changes will occur to the picture in the process. If so, then it is not the problem with the picture but rather the technology. That said, it would not be a "critique" per se, it is more critique of the technology. Or maybe you are pointing out to me where and what Jpeg artifacts are, if so, thanks, because initially i did not know what Jpeg Artifacts were.
    ah, i'm not sure about that.. you would probably be better off asking the people who seem to know more about tech.. just commenting on location and wondering aloud, rather than critique there..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ah, i'm not sure about that.. you would probably be better off asking the people who seem to know more about tech.. just commenting on location and wondering aloud, rather than critique there..
    No worries, I always am happy when ppl post comments. At least have some feedback and response.

If not very sad leh.

the picture is slanted?

Deregistered

funny it doesn't look slanted to me leh. why? which part? i though it looks good except the right side a little messy

You are now seeing the edited picture so that is why not slanted now.

The first few comments made were valid, it was indeed slanted.