Thread: Hiking/Walking with my gear.

Default Hiking/Walking with my gear.

In December i will be forgoing a hike with my school in Nepal across some unknown terrain. I do not want to miss ANY photo opportunities. Therefore i will be taking 1D3, 24-70, 135, 200 2.8, 580EX II. I am not asking how to travel lighter, i can handle all that on my shoulders for days. I want to know how to carry it! Not just the trek but on the way there via airplane .

I am listening! Tell me what you think

Default Re: Hiking/Walking with my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    In December i will be forgoing a hike with my school in Nepal across some unknown terrain. I do not want to miss ANY photo opportunities. Therefore i will be taking 1D3, 24-70, 135, 200 2.8, 580EX II. I am not asking how to travel lighter, i can handle all that on my shoulders for days. I want to know how to carry it! Not just the trek but on the way there via airplane .

Consider the Lowepro Vertex. Add a few of the pouches for faster lens changing when on the move. Else, the rest can sit in the backpack.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hi.

Wouldnt you be carrying a main backpack for your gear? In that case a slingbag would be more appropriate. Not to mention allow you to hold onto your valuable camera stuff even when you go to the toilet.

Good article here. http://www.bythom.com/bags.htm

Which part of nepal are u goin to be heading to? I suggest getting a sling bag as well. But certain parts of the terrain would be better if your stuff is in your bagpack cause certain climbs are pretty steep. Also the dust is a major problem if u wanna change lenses there.

Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post

Get those BIG hiking cam bags.

How about a Lowepro Fastpack? It has a compartment for your toiletries, computer and stuff. Should be able to use is as a carry-on for the flight. When going for your hike, leave the personal stuff in the hotel to make it lighter.

Thanks everyone for there responses.
    I really don't want a backpack as that will mean two backpacks ill be carrying.
    and fantastic article i already have the Think Tank Airport International, and they make fantastic products.
    I was thinking of a belt system, from think tank. Although to get my things over there obviously i cant wear the belt onto the plane. So i will have to carry another bag with all my stuff on the plane. While im in Nepal that would be a waste of space, as i have no hotel to dump bags in, i will be on the move. What you guys think?

Kenni,
    I will be in the Solokumbu Region trekking for 8 days, going around to our community schools there giving them fundraised money first hand, which will be a experience of a lifetime, and looking to get some fantastic photos.
    Will take note of the dust.

Hi geeteethree I think a belt system would work great as well

My last trip I got a modified ( Offtrail ) waist pouch to hold my camera, 12-24mm, TC2, 70-200, 85mmPC, 24mmPC, a waterbottle pouch, OTG harddisk all ard the waist. Easy to change lens on the go , and mobile as well . A think tank version would work great.

I move ard with a big backpack when hopping hotels. The tripod can be attached to the bag with some latches on my backpack.Ryan

I tend to do quite a lot of trekking with gear and I really recommend getting either a backpack or a shoulder harness for your gear. A shoulder cum waist harness is by far the most comfortable for long distance walking and allows you very easy access to your gear(considering you may change lenses often this will be useful), but the downside is your gear may get wet should you be trekking in a wet climate(depending on the type of pouches you put on the harness).

Backpacks will allow you to keep your gear nice and safe from the elements, but it is infinitely irritating to keep having to put the bag down to change lenses or even just to take out a simple filter. Shoulders also do get sore after some serious walking, no matter how ergonomical your backpack is. Don't even consider a shoulder bag, your shoulder will be totally devoid of skin after a long trek.

Many backpacks do also allow you to affix a tripod to them, which you will probably want to bring since Nepal is decidedly a scenic location and you probably will come across occasions when you will need a tripod to make the best of the photo opportunity. Some backpacks also do allow you to carry a small amount of supplies for use during the trek, but I'd really rather carry a seperate backpack which fits nicely with the shoulder harness rather than an integrated system. Bulk is never a boon and isolated access to either supplies or gear is always desirable.

If you have a base camp or hotel/lodge, you may consider bringing along a hard camera case so you can check your gear in. Good cases will protect your gear from all but the roughest of handling. Smaller cases can also be carried onboard the aircraft but do check with relevant airports about luggage dimensions for hand-carried baggage. I usually bring this in tandem with a shoulder harness, which can normally be easily folded and stowed away in any of your check-in luggage for use once reaching the location. The hard case can be left at base camp.

Lastly, travel insurance for gear is always a good idea since if an emergency arises, dumping the gear will be no issue. Theft is also often a severe problem in some countries and it's good to have expensive gear(such as what you'll be bringing along) covered from unfortunate circumstances.

Remember to bring lots of extra spares such as batteries, memory, cleaning kits, etc. You'll have no access to basic photo supplies if you happen to lose your primary set while there.

Have fun!
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Bring along a mono-pod to double-up as a walking stick... you'll find it useful in trekking up the mountains...
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Stoned,
    Fantastic reply thanks mate. I use a shoulder bag to rome the streets of Singapore and after 45 mins it already kills! So ruling that out definitely. Seeings as we will be moving around quite abit i think a big bag wont be suitable. Althought i will bring all my gear on the plane and store it in the overhead department. Last time i came back from Melbourne i put 20kg of gear into a overhead department! Luckily no one was sitting underneath it if the plane had slight turbulence.
    I am enquiring about travel insurance now, theft is not something i want to go through although insurance covers that so i don't have to worry about that as much.

The belt system is top of my chart for now with shoulder straps to distribute the wait, also can hang the camera around those instead of my neck.

Still pretty unsure of getting my gear there. Maybe use my Shoulder bag and once ive unpacked it feel it up with my socks and small stuff to not waste space, at the bottom of my hiking back pack.

Looking at a tripod now. Gitzo + RRS ballhead is top of the list althought abit on the pricey side but will be a investment over time.

Thanks guys for your input, anymore helpful ideas would be fantastic.

If you're based on a camp nearby, meaning you aren't going to carry everything with you when you hike, then you can simply bring anything that feels comfortable (like the above discussion).

But I'm usually on the move for my hikes, meaning we stay overnight at different places daily so we have to carry all our barang like pots, pans, food and clothes which leaves very little space for your equipment. Putting any equipment below your backpack is risky since you might fall/sit and damage them. Putting it in front of your body will be a damn big hassle when you're going up hill.

Last time I went I just decided to dump my equipment among my clothes in the backpack. But I was climbing a mountain in a group, so I wouldn't be stopping too frequently to shoot (will slow down the group).