Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Apple vs Win

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    HMM which is better?

    well almost all the big respectable ad agencies,designers, photogrpahers and studios use macs.

    thats a big hint.

    draw backs of a mac..
    you can't play games
    its hard to find economic versions of softewares
    you can't enjoy the fun of having to get rid of viruses

    you dont have that element of suprise of your computer freezing out of no where. thats really fun.

    once you go mac, you dont look back

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by deepcover View Post
    once you go mac, you dont look back
    that's because you got no money left... LOL!!!

  3. #23

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by deepcover View Post
    HMM which is better?

    well almost all the big respectable ad agencies,designers, photogrpahers and studios use macs.

    thats a big hint.

    draw backs of a mac..
    you can't play games
    its hard to find economic versions of softewares
    you can't enjoy the fun of having to get rid of viruses

    you dont have that element of suprise of your computer freezing out of no where. thats really fun.

    once you go mac, you dont look back
    Actually, its possible with Bootcamp. I've tried using VMware and Crossover but they dont work as well. VMware only simulates a graphics card so it doesnt actually utilize the card at all. Crossover is programmed to run a few games but i tried unsupported games and all crashed..

    So its back to bootcamp

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    For me, my current PC(XP) is dying. So I am also considering converting to iMAC.
    Since new PC's come with Vista, I have to get all new software as well. After using my dad's Vista PC, I really hate it.

    However, somehow it seems that Macs are more expensive than PCs. Am I right?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    double post...
    Last edited by NiteWind; 26th August 2008 at 05:33 PM.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Err no offend here but just to correct the point make which I think very misleading and not even comparing "appple to apple".

    1) The transition usually wouldn't be extremely smooth, it took me about a day before I could use the Mac at normal speed and I would actually consider that extremely quick compared to other users, since I have some experience with such technological stuff.
    ->Well true whenever you touches a new software e.g. MS Office 2003 to 2007 which also a huge different. There is always some learning curve.

    But, if you look carefully the use of Mac is not much different from Windows since Windows copy their design from Mac so how can it have much different in usage. Most of Mac usage is just drag and down. So long you know how to use a Mouse I don't think it will take your days to learn to how to use a Mac.

    2) You'd have to buy a lot of software to replace their Windows counterparts. Besides the cost factor, that might be quite a bit of a hassle. You might also hear that everything works with Mac but in actual fact you might face a slew of problems and eventually get fed-up and go buy new hardware too (hidden costs).
    -> What Mac announce is it is comparable with most of the data file extension and equipments.

    To be fair, does USB workable and problem free when we were using Windows 95. I believe if you install Windows 95 now and try plug in your usb printer, let's see if it can work or not.

    So long all your equipments come with Mac supported logo it will confirm work.

    3) Of course, the unchangeable hardware issue. You'll definitely get much more flexibility with your PC.
    -> Well it depend on what you purchase don't tell me you purchase a Windows laptop and it also allow you to exchange hardware? Nowaday as laptop getting smaller and lighter, e.g. Sony or Asus EEE even their Harddisk also cannot be change.

    Most mac product are mobile platform design so that it can be slim and small. Of cause if you want to have the same fell as a desktop PC, buy a Mac Pro it can house millions of different configuration of hardware for you to change.

    4) Reliability? Mac is supposed to be "uncrashable" etc. But I've seen Macs go down for no reason. I also know someone who's Macbook (just over 1 year old) died completely (harddisk failure), but fortunately she purchased extended warranty. But of course all data gone.
    -> What Apple announce is OSX is crash free not hardware. I'm surprise you quote this example cause maybe you can help me find a company in this world to announce that their Harddisk or hardware is failure free?

    When a harddisk failure of coz all data will be gone this apply to the same to any OS(unix, windows, Linux etcs), unless you do your backup if not there is no way you can ever get your data back.

    In my opinion, the operating system for Mac (I used OS X Leopard and Tiger) is also somewhat overrated. I wouldn't expect power users to find much merit in the eye-candy, which is (also in my opinion) the main advantage of OS X. (Stuff like Expose are useful but I use a 30 inch monitor so doesn't really apply to me.)
    -> OSX success is not just on candy eye design. Cause you can also get the same OSX theme in WinXP.

    What OSX success are example:

    - virus & spam free
    - ease of use which some of the post above there are ppl also posting they now spend time enjoying using the system rather then face "blue screen or system hang or crash for no reason.
    - Time Machine in Leopard will solve your above mention HDD crash and data lost issue. And tell me which backup & restore software in Windows you can find that is as advance as Time Machine.
    - Of coz there are other software like dashboard, desktop screen(a helpful feature for ppls to zoom in to see small items) and many more power Mac software.

    Of course if you're the type who frequently reformats your computer, Mac might be better since installation of Mac OS X is MANY MANY MANY MANY times faster than Windows.
    -> Sorry if you buy Mac and continue to format you are in a very big wrong. Windows need to format is because of the build up in registry and all the rubbish stuff in your harddisk over time which slow down and make the whole system unstable.

    Mac don't have registry and it will not slow down or make the system unstable be it how long you run it.

    Anyway who love to format your pc, since Mac design it such a way that you don't need to format your OS ever you should be very happy about it

    Undoubtedly, Vista isn't good. But I wouldn't think that is an adequate reason to switch over to Mac, since Windows XP still works fine!
    -> You know why Vista isn't good, cause it try to make a near full copy of OSX and yet they fail to understand the power of OSX.

    So if all those that you mention above that OSX lousy then how come MS want to copy OSX and design it in VISTA.
    Last edited by NiteWind; 26th August 2008 at 05:32 PM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoppable View Post

    However, somehow it seems that Macs are more expensive than PCs. Am I right?
    Sorry this statement is never true, if you compare the same hardware spec and similiar kind of software that come with the mac. A windows PC cost more expensive then a Mac.

    This statement had been make clear by Steve Job in one of the past conference where they compare a cheap brand "Dell" and a Mac and a Mac is about 1K USD cheaper then the same spec of Dell

  8. #28

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Just remember. MAC is another UNIX SYSTEM (less virus for attack, last i read was only TWO ANICENT VIRUS),
    Windows (well there's never anything called ANCIENT virus unless you're talking about virus names like STONE, Micheangelo etc)
    Anywaym will be getting a MacBookPro this comex. hoho and selling away my HP520 with 4GB RAM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Just remember. MAC is another UNIX SYSTEM (less virus for attack, last i read was only TWO ANICENT VIRUS),
    Windows (well there's never anything called ANCIENT virus unless you're talking about virus names like STONE, Micheangelo etc)
    Anywaym will be getting a MacBookPro this comex. hoho and selling away my HP520 with 4GB RAM.
    if you can wait... wait till Sept/Oct cause Apple is preparing a major refresh to most of their product soon.

    Note: A new refresh product which is faster, better and yet same price as the old one if not cheaper...

  10. #30
    Member Crappinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    No offense too, but I’ll clarify a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    ->Well true whenever you touches a new software e.g. MS Office 2003 to 2007 which also a huge different. There is always some learning curve.
    But, if you look carefully the use of Mac is not much different from Windows since Windows copy their design from Mac so how can it have much different in usage. Most of Mac usage is just drag and down. So long you know how to use a Mouse I don't think it will take your days to learn to how to use a Mac.
    Wrong. Just the differences in the OS will take a Mac newbie some time to get used to. Unless you simply use the computer for extremely basic tasks like surfing the web/text editing. Additionally, the one button mouse on a Mac also takes time getting used to (no right click).

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    -> What Mac announce is it is comparable with most of the data file extension and equipments.
    To be fair, does USB workable and problem free when we were using Windows 95. I believe if you install Windows 95 now and try plug in your usb printer, let's see if it can work or not.
    So long all your equipments come with Mac supported logo it will confirm work.
    Example: Mac can handle Microsoft Office files. But you STILL have to buy the Mac version of the software. And comparing Mac OS X Leopard with Windows 95 is like comparing Intel Core 2 Quadro with Intel 486 (i.e invalid comparison). Another point which I consider absurd is having ALL your equipment be Mac compatible when you have been happily using PC all along. That simply doesn’t make sense unless you’re extremely forward looking and/or meticulous. Additionally, isn’t that the whole point of the Mac compatible logo? If it has that logo and still doesn’t work, some people aren’t going to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    -> Well it depend on what you purchase don't tell me you purchase a Windows laptop and it also allow you to exchange hardware? Nowaday as laptop getting smaller and lighter, e.g. Sony or Asus EEE even their Harddisk also cannot be change.
    By the way yes you can change your hardware if you really want to. Basic stuff like adding RAM is obvious, but technically speaking you can change other components too, provided they fit in the chassis. But that’s not the point. The point is that even if you buy an iMac (desktop PC equivalent), you can’t change hardware. As a general rule, it’s not what they can’t do but instead is what ONE of them can’t do that the OTHER one can.

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    Most mac product are mobile platform design so that it can be slim and small. Of cause if you want to have the same fell as a desktop PC, buy a Mac Pro it can house millions of different configuration of hardware for you to change.
    Sorry I don’t understand what you’re saying here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    -> What Apple announce is OSX is crash free not hardware. I'm surprise you quote this example cause maybe you can help me find a company in this world to announce that their Harddisk or hardware is failure free? When a harddisk failure of coz all data will be gone this apply to the same to any OS(unix, windows, Linux etcs), unless you do your backup if not there is no way you can ever get your data back.
    I apologise for not being extremely clear on this. But I was referring to software crashes. The hardware failure was just an additional point. But it doesn’t really matter does it? Because hardware failures are often more catastrophic than software ones. And once again, you missed the main point. The main point is not that Mac hardware isn’t failure free but instead is the SHORT lifespan of the hardware. But as a further disclaimer, this might very well be an anomalous case.
    Another by the way, sometimes you CAN recover files from a harddisk failure. And I never did attribute the lost of data with the OS (where did that come from?) because that’s obviously wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    -> OSX success is not just on candy eye design. Cause you can also get the same OSX theme in WinXP.
    What OSX success are example:
    - virus & spam free
    - ease of use which some of the post above there are ppl also posting they now spend time enjoying using the system rather then face "blue screen or system hang or crash for no reason.
    - Time Machine in Leopard will solve your above mention HDD crash and data lost issue. And tell me which backup & restore software in Windows you can find that is as advance as Time Machine.
    - Of coz there are other software like dashboard, desktop screen(a helpful feature for ppls to zoom in to see small items) and many more power Mac software.
    Almost everything can be found on PC but they are simply more obscure. Time Machine is also not completely foolproof. It requires a harddisk of equal of larger capacity to work, and obviously there’s backup software available for Windows platform. The only problem is visual appeal and ease of use, which I admit Apple did a great job on with Time Machine. I'll like to add that Mac is not completely virus and spam free and as its popularity increases, the number of viruses will too.


    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    -> Sorry if you buy Mac and continue to format you are in a very big wrong. Windows need to format is because of the build up in registry and all the rubbish stuff in your harddisk over time which slow down and make the whole system unstable.
    Mac don't have registry and it will not slow down or make the system unstable be it how long you run it.
    Anyway who love to format your pc, since Mac design it such a way that you don't need to format your OS ever you should be very happy about it
    People don’t only format their computers because they’re clogged up with junk. But this point’s in favour of Mac, so what are you trying to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    -> You know why Vista isn't good, cause it try to make a near full copy of OSX and yet they fail to understand the power of OSX.
    So if all those that you mention above that OSX lousy then how come MS want to copy OSX and design it in VISTA.
    Eye candy is important to those who are less concerned about the technological implications (i.e. Microsoft wants to appeal to the non-powerusers).
    Last edited by Crappinni; 26th August 2008 at 07:24 PM.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    actually most of the "mac newbies" i know took to it like ducks to water. so far all are very happy with their macs. i would say the most difficult hurdle is in the mind - how to adapt to the new platform? what about mac equivalents of windows software? etc. once they actually tried the mac, they liked it and most are using it 100% of the time.

    crashes? which os doesnt crash? kernel panics happen even on the most expensive solaris, aix or hp-ux servers. macs are no exception. in the event of a very bad crash however it is very easy to reinstall the mac os and be operational soon after without having to re-install most of the software. relocating applications to different directories are a piece of cake unlike windows since you would also have to modify the register accordingly.

    ms office documents? well you have ms office for mac, open office, neooffice, iworks. all of these should be able to open the docs.

    surfing? you have a choice of browsers - ie (who uses that?), safari, firefox, minefield, camino, opera to name a few.

    photos? you have photoshop, lightroom, iphoto and aperture. even canon dpp and nikon capture nx(2) are available.

    miss windows? you have a choice of bootcamp, parallels desktop, vmware fusion. take your pick.

    freeware and shareware are very often high quality, affordable and useful.

    IM chats? how about yahoo messenger, ms messenger or even better adium (multiclient. the best!).

    memory utilization on the mac is more superior to windows. i've run into problems on windows xp 2gb ram even when only 1gb+ has been used. no idea why but i get slightly better mileage after deleting the paging file. hows that?

    although you might not find many hardware products certified for use with the mac, you will be surprised to know quite a number do. i have added off the shelf usb cards before and in fact right now i'm using a razer copperhead mouse. some exceptions are video cards and storage adapter cards probably cos the mac versions have some kind of bios on them.

    if you plan to switch to a mac, go in with an open mind and be willing to make some adjustments. there will of cos be an adjustment period ranging from few mins to few days. after that it should be plain sailing and you may even wonder why you didn't switch earlier.

  12. #32
    Member Crappinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    actually most of the "mac newbies" i know took to it like ducks to water. so far all are very happy with their macs. i would say the most difficult hurdle is in the mind - how to adapt to the new platform? what about mac equivalents of windows software? etc. once they actually tried the mac, they liked it and most are using it 100% of the time.

    crashes? which os doesnt crash? kernel panics happen even on the most expensive solaris, aix or hp-ux servers. macs are no exception. in the event of a very bad crash however it is very easy to reinstall the mac os and be operational soon after without having to re-install most of the software. relocating applications to different directories are a piece of cake unlike windows since you would also have to modify the register accordingly.

    ms office documents? well you have ms office for mac, open office, neooffice, iworks. all of these should be able to open the docs.

    surfing? you have a choice of browsers - ie (who uses that?), safari, firefox, minefield, camino, opera to name a few.

    photos? you have photoshop, lightroom, iphoto and aperture. even canon dpp and nikon capture nx(2) are available.

    miss windows? you have a choice of bootcamp, parallels desktop, vmware fusion. take your pick.

    freeware and shareware are very often high quality, affordable and useful.

    IM chats? how about yahoo messenger, ms messenger or even better adium (multiclient. the best!).

    memory utilization on the mac is more superior to windows. i've run into problems on windows xp 2gb ram even when only 1gb+ has been used. no idea why but i get slightly better mileage after deleting the paging file. hows that?

    although you might not find many hardware products certified for use with the mac, you will be surprised to know quite a number do. i have added off the shelf usb cards before and in fact right now i'm using a razer copperhead mouse. some exceptions are video cards and storage adapter cards probably cos the mac versions have some kind of bios on them.

    if you plan to switch to a mac, go in with an open mind and be willing to make some adjustments. there will of cos be an adjustment period ranging from few mins to few days. after that it should be plain sailing and you may even wonder why you didn't switch earlier.
    I agree fully. But the purpose of my original post was not to denounce the effectiveness of a Mac but in fact to bring attention to some misconceptions (e.g. Macs don't crash), which might cause disappointment after the TS switched over.

    Actually the most difficult part is deciding whether or not to switch, which is the case now. It's crucial to understand the implications of switching over, the differences in the systems and the possible difficulties. But after considering all our points and one decides it'll be worthwhile to switch (hence entering with an open mind), it'll not be long before they get used to it.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    I agree fully. But the purpose of my original post was not to denounce the effectiveness of a Mac but in fact to bring attention to some misconceptions (e.g. Macs don't crash), which might cause disappointment after the TS switched over.

    Actually the most difficult part is deciding whether or not to switch, which is the case now. It's crucial to understand the implications of switching over, the differences in the systems and the possible difficulties. But after considering all our points and one decides it'll be worthwhile to switch (hence entering with an open mind), it'll not be long before they get used to it.
    haha..ok. i think need to choose your words carefully. i think ppl misinterpret

  14. #34
    Member Crappinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    haha..ok. i think need to choose your words carefully. i think ppl misinterpret
    I think I need to make my posts more concise too

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Wow... I didn't know computers make people go all touchy and worked up. Its a freaking computer people. Whatever floats yer boat.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    if you can wait... wait till Sept/Oct cause Apple is preparing a major refresh to most of their product soon.

    Note: A new refresh product which is faster, better and yet same price as the old one if not cheaper...
    Will wait. Ashamed to say that I have never been to COMEX. Will Apple be there?
    Besides Epicentres, where else can we can an iMac?

  17. #37
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoppable View Post
    Will wait. Ashamed to say that I have never been to COMEX. Will Apple be there?
    Besides Epicentres, where else can we can an iMac?
    Prices are very likely to be fixed. Goodies and packages might differ.

    In my opinion, even authorised Apple resellers offer packages. No point squeezing crowds at COMEX.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    many thanks for the friendly and healthy exchange of views.

    I am always the kia-su type, would like to gather opinions and do research before committing to big ticket item, especially when I have family to feed

    Is there any minimum spec on mac if I will to do photo editing plus other normal tasks like web surfing, chatting, presentation and MS office stuff?
    Canon EOS 400D, 28-135mm USM IS, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Canon580EX II, BG-E3 grip.
    flickr

  19. #39

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    ishop by Club21 sells apple products.
    http://ishop.club21.bz/content/pages/location.html

    i am getting a macbook soon. been hesitating, but i think its time to make a switch. (:
    carpe diem!

  20. #40

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Yes switch with me. hehehee and yeah they are refreshing their products VERY SOON! I'm already seeing the new MacBook pro on their webby already

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •