Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Apple vs Win

  1. #1

    Default Apple vs Win

    I have been on win platform for most of my life and really a mac noob . Now, my backside feel itchy and am contemplating to mac. I hope those using both platform can enlighten my queries below.

    1. How is the photo editing performance between the 2 platform? (using the same software, eg CS3)

    2. Apple now runs on intel chip, does that mean that I can add-on graphics card, ram, hdd, usb devices, etc, on the mac? Do I need to look out for sticker that says mac-compatible?

    3. Can files saved in mac be editable in windows platform?

    Many thanks!
    Canon EOS 400D, 28-135mm USM IS, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Canon580EX II, BG-E3 grip.
    flickr

  2. #2

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    1) Uhh. Feels the same, if not faster for me. This is comparing mac and windows both installed on my macbook.

    2) It really depends on what you buy. If you buy a tower, perhaps. If you buy a iMac, if I recall correctly, and please correct me if im wrong, iMacs can only upgrade RAM (they use the smaller laptop ram), and you can't upgrade gfx cards unless you pull it apart.

    Modern USB hard drives, thumbdrives, etc should work.
    Your camera will work.
    Canon software works!
    Other USB devices, depends on your luck if there is a driver for it.
    Printers might not work if they are older than say 3 years?
    Sales people will always tell you something works. Don't believe them. Read the box.

    3)Depends on what you save it as. Ms Word, Powerpoint, PSD, JPG, will all work, unless you save your files in some mac-only format. You will find that Macs follow most of the international standards and windows... does not. Anyway, the fear that you cant share files with your friends & family is nothing to be afraid of. It will work.
    Last edited by GavinTing; 24th August 2008 at 01:50 PM.
    Meow!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Info Overflow View Post
    I have been on win platform for most of my life and really a mac noob . Now, my backside feel itchy and am contemplating to mac. I hope those using both platform can enlighten my queries below.

    1. How is the photo editing performance between the 2 platform? (using the same software, eg CS3)

    2. Apple now runs on intel chip, does that mean that I can add-on graphics card, ram, hdd, usb devices, etc, on the mac? Do I need to look out for sticker that says mac-compatible?

    3. Can files saved in mac be editable in windows platform?

    Many thanks!
    1) not sure, but mac have better resource control than win

    2) not sure about graphic, but iirc u can add ram/hdd even on the older mac system. mac-compatible is just a "stamp" to make them sell at higher price, they basically the same as the windows or other system counterparts (linux... etc)

    3) depends on what file, .jpg? avi?... those are common format

  4. #4

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    I've done the switch in Feb 08 and never look back. Using a iMac now for all my photo editing.
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I've done the switch in Feb 08 and never look back. Using a iMac now for all my photo editing.
    Me too. I was a ardent Win follower until this ugly sister called Vista came along. I decided that I have to switch camp, and never regretted since. Mac is very suited for graphical and photo editing work, and the ease of use is legendary.

    With the new Intel chip, there's a killer app that all Win users should get called "Parallels Desktop". This runs BOTH Windows and Mac OS concurrently and you can toggle back-and-forth, or even share the same desktop...but having said this, once you're hook on Mac, you don't need any of this.

    There're a few things Win users may need to get used to, for example:
    1. How software installations/uninstallation are done in Mac (it's so easy on the Mac that you won't believe it; and you'll wonder "huh, is that it...?" after you install/uninstall).
    2. The Window close/maximise/minimise buttons are now on the top left corner instead of right
    3. Less things to tweak (and to mess up) because why do you need to do that since Mac is already beautifully configured. You spend less time of unimportant things, and focus on the important ones like removing blemishes on your wife's/gf's face...

    Go for the Mac!

    ps: Buy a large screen Mac if you do a lot of graphics

  6. #6

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Thanks Bros for all the reply.

    From what I read and heard, mac seems to be lovable by all.

    Now, the next million dollar question is, which should I get? Macbook or imac? I love the big screen with the cool mouse and keboard. But I also like to be mobile
    Canon EOS 400D, 28-135mm USM IS, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Canon580EX II, BG-E3 grip.
    flickr

  7. #7

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Info Overflow View Post
    Thanks Bros for all the reply.

    From what I read and heard, mac seems to be lovable by all.

    Now, the next million dollar question is, which should I get? Macbook or imac? I love the big screen with the cool mouse and keboard. But I also like to be mobile

    Well...then that calls for a 15" Macbook Pro...kekeke.

    But frankly, go for the 24" iMac if you are not so critical about the type of lcd panel. From my little experience over this 6 mths, I could get close to 90+ % accurate of color reproduction between screen and print
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

  8. #8
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Info Overflow View Post
    Thanks Bros for all the reply.

    From what I read and heard, mac seems to be lovable by all.

    Now, the next million dollar question is, which should I get? Macbook or imac? I love the big screen with the cool mouse and keboard. But I also like to be mobile
    do what I did. get a Macbook Pro, and an external monitor to plug it into when you're at your desk.

    sure it adds up but it also gives me the ability to run VMWare Fusion fully on the external 24 inch and my Mac OS on my 17" MBP. very helpful when I'm using SPSS and doing my research write up.

  9. #9
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Thread moved to Kopitiam as discussions are mainly non photography related.

  10. #10
    Member Crappinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    I've tried both Mac and Windows and I wouldn't recommend switching to Mac if you're simply looking for photo editing performance. Here's why:

    1) The transition usually wouldn't be extremely smooth, it took me about a day before I could use the Mac at normal speed and I would actually consider that extremely quick compared to other users, since I have some experience with such technological stuff.

    2) You'd have to buy a lot of software to replace their Windows counterparts. Besides the cost factor, that might be quite a bit of a hassle. You might also hear that everything works with Mac but in actual fact you might face a slew of problems and eventually get fed-up and go buy new hardware too (hidden costs).

    3) Of course, the unchangeable hardware issue. You'll definitely get much more flexibility with your PC.

    4) Reliability? Mac is supposed to be "uncrashable" etc. But I've seen Macs go down for no reason. I also know someone who's Macbook (just over 1 year old) died completely (harddisk failure), but fortunately she purchased extended warranty. But of course all data gone.

    In my opinion, the operating system for Mac (I used OS X Leopard and Tiger) is also somewhat overrated. I wouldn't expect power users to find much merit in the eye-candy, which is (also in my opinion) the main advantage of OS X. (Stuff like Expose are useful but I use a 30 inch monitor so doesn't really apply to me.)

    Of course if you're the type who frequently reformats your computer, Mac might be better since installation of Mac OS X is MANY MANY MANY MANY times faster than Windows.

    Undoubtedly, Vista isn't good. But I wouldn't think that is an adequate reason to switch over to Mac, since Windows XP still works fine!

    Conclusion: Do not fix that which is not spoilt!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    If i use an external harddisk to store my photos etc
    will I be able to plug it between Mac and a PC ?

    If I have a home network, will both be able to plug into the same router?

    thanks

    yeah, i tried a Mac too and the built in software is really user friendly
    so much so that after the demo, the wife who wasnt interested in computer
    started asking for it .............go figure

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    I can edit photos with only 1GB of RAM on my Mac and it is not slow. Can run Vista and Photoshop with 1GB ram and fast?

    I like Mac's expose, make my photoediting very fun, convenient and useful.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Me too. I was a ardent Win follower until this ugly sister called Vista came along. I decided that I have to switch camp, and never regretted since. Mac is very suited for graphical and photo editing work, and the ease of use is legendary.

    With the new Intel chip, there's a killer app that all Win users should get called "Parallels Desktop". This runs BOTH Windows and Mac OS concurrently and you can toggle back-and-forth, or even share the same desktop...but having said this, once you're hook on Mac, you don't need any of this.

    There're a few things Win users may need to get used to, for example:
    1. How software installations/uninstallation are done in Mac (it's so easy on the Mac that you won't believe it; and you'll wonder "huh, is that it...?" after you install/uninstall).
    2. The Window close/maximise/minimise buttons are now on the top left corner instead of right

    3. Less things to tweak (and to mess up) because why do you need to do that since Mac is already beautifully configured. You spend less time of unimportant things, and focus on the important ones like removing blemishes on your wife's/gf's face...

    Go for the Mac!

    ps: Buy a large screen Mac if you do a lot of graphics
    I never tweak and I used mac since 2005 and it still boot up fast, run fast, shutdown fast. And no need to re-format bcos it didn't slow down after years of usage.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by lightrules View Post
    If i use an external harddisk to store my photos etc
    will I be able to plug it between Mac and a PC ?

    If I have a home network, will both be able to plug into the same router?

    thanks

    yeah, i tried a Mac too and the built in software is really user friendly
    so much so that after the demo, the wife who wasnt interested in computer
    started asking for it .............go figure

    Yes, you are able to to plug it between both platforms BUT, you cant have your disk formatted as an NTFS drive. The default Mac drivers cant write to NTFS. You have to reformat them into FAT32 drives for it to be compatible for both. Downside is that FAT32 drives are slightly slower than NTFS.

    Another alternative is to use 3rd party drive mounts like MacFuse. But i personally have not tried them yet so i cant comment. Im happily using FAT32 on my seagate..


    As for the home network, it shouldnt be a problem. Unless your question is about file sharing between both systems thru the network or internet accessibility, both of which should also have no problem on the current OS X version.

    Correct me if im wrong anyone. Not technically elite like some bros

  15. #15

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    sorry, Crappinni... not targeting you but lazy to type too much as this question always pop up... and you provided so many relevant points so i borrow abit
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    1) The transition usually wouldn't be extremely smooth, it took me about a day before I could use the Mac at normal speed and I would actually consider that extremely quick compared to other users, since I have some experience with such technological stuff.
    I would agree that in terms of speed, there really isn't that much of a diff... and familiarity with the system either way would probably go further in improving speed of use
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    2) You'd have to buy a lot of software to replace their Windows counterparts. Besides the cost factor, that might be quite a bit of a hassle. You might also hear that everything works with Mac but in actual fact you might face a slew of problems and eventually get fed-up and go buy new hardware too (hidden costs).
    yah, replacing software is a hassle in changing systems
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    4) Reliability? Mac is supposed to be "uncrashable" etc. But I've seen Macs go down for no reason. I also know someone who's Macbook (just over 1 year old) died completely (harddisk failure), but fortunately she purchased extended warranty. But of course all data gone.
    I've had to do digital imaging work on XP systems and Mac systems and find them just as prone to crashing... as to the least crashable system... go to my last point
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    In my opinion, the operating system for Mac (I used OS X Leopard and Tiger) is also somewhat overrated. I wouldn't expect power users to find much merit in the eye-candy, which is (also in my opinion) the main advantage of OS X. (Stuff like Expose are useful but I use a 30 inch monitor so doesn't really apply to me.)
    me, my Win system looks like its Win98... obviously its not though... I just switch every bit of eye candy off... in any case, my screen is usually fully utilized so all I see are my open work windows
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    Undoubtedly, Vista isn't good. But I wouldn't think that is an adequate reason to switch over to Mac, since Windows XP still works fine!
    I run Vista Ultimate on a ~4yr old system and find the stability is the best I've had, having worked with XP and OSX as well...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Be aware that not all USB devices work with Leopard.
    I got 2 USB OTG Drives, both don't work with Leopard. But it works in XP with Boot Camp (aka dual boot), and Fusion.


    .

  17. #17

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Thread moved to Kopitiam as discussions are mainly non photography related.
    thanks
    Canon EOS 400D, 28-135mm USM IS, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Canon580EX II, BG-E3 grip.
    flickr

  18. #18

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Exanimated View Post
    Yes, you are able to to plug it between both platforms BUT, you cant have your disk formatted as an NTFS drive. The default Mac drivers cant write to NTFS. You have to reformat them into FAT32 drives for it to be compatible for both. Downside is that FAT32 drives are slightly slower than NTFS.

    Another alternative is to use 3rd party drive mounts like MacFuse. But i personally have not tried them yet so i cant comment. Im happily using FAT32 on my seagate..


    As for the home network, it shouldnt be a problem. Unless your question is about file sharing between both systems thru the network or internet accessibility, both of which should also have no problem on the current OS X version.

    Correct me if im wrong anyone. Not technically elite like some bros
    macfuse plus the ntfs-3g modules work beautifully. installation is straightforward double-clicking of the respective installers and 1 reboot somewhere in between.

    caveat...if you need to unmount the drives on windows properly otherwise cant mount on mac. at least i havent figured out how to yet.

    file sharing not an issue so far. in fact for best results, set up parallels desktop or vmware fusion as bridged networking. that way you get the IP from the router rather than from the mac.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    I have heard a lot of good things abt mac and it is interesting to know that mac does crashes.....

    In apple's web site, the macs are not any cheaper and I can't really compare apple to 'apple'

    I guess I have to do more research before I commit

    btw, are the mac software licenses cheaper than M$?
    Canon EOS 400D, 28-135mm USM IS, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Canon580EX II, BG-E3 grip.
    flickr

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Apple vs Win

    You like... don't like... this and that... blah blah... Your wallet will speak louder than the any of these machines (Mac or PC) that matters. Both can do the same work. You don't need to compare apples to apples, oranges, papayas and whatnots. Go to the shop, see which make, model, price and after sales services that suits you best. If you are going on the cheap, don't expect wonders. If you have deep pockets, just buy the best, the most coolest looking and the most expensive machines you can afford. Case closed. The more you compare, the more confused you will get.

    In case you are wondering about all the stereotypes about Macs and Windows users, none of them are true. E.g. only hippies, unemployed musicians, wannabe gay designers use mac or nerds, geeks, gamers use Windows PC.

    I am using both Mac and PC at home. Both suck. Later.
    Last edited by hazmee; 26th August 2008 at 03:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •