Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Thread: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    It's a 'good' thing actually (subjected to personal values). I don't see the number of beauties in Singapore declining. I think more than ever, there are really many attractive women around. And women today are also (to me) a lot more intellectual and sophisticated; and see beyond the need to have their beauty recognized and acknowledged. Which is a good thing. To me of course.
    Last edited by shinken; 25th August 2008 at 09:44 AM.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    It's a 'good' thing actually (subjected to personal values). I don't see the number of beauties in Singapore declining. I think more than ever, there are really many attractive women around. And women today are also (to me) a lot more intellectual and sophisticated; and see beyond the need to have their beauty recognized and acknowledged. Which is a good thing. To me of course.
    I must be living in another country that's also called Singapore then.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  3. #23

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I must be living in another country that's also called Singapore then.
    Or just different parts of Singapore and hanging out in different circles.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Or just different parts of Singapore and hanging out in different circles.
    Maybe I should move to your part of Singapore and join your circle. Got space?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  5. #25
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I must be living in another country that's also called Singapore then.
    Nah ...it's just that we all have difference view and expectation on what is defined as beautiful.

    The one men's meat is another's poison might not be the most appropriate analogy here being we talking about an event that is akin to a meat show heh...sorry don't mean to offend anyone further. But well, that is just it...we all have difference perspectives of what is beautiful or not .... or exceedly so.

    If we each pull out an example photo of what we define as beautiful or even handsome men there will a number of shocking results we will see here. heheheh....

  6. #26

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    True
    I think in Asia, the face is more important than a great bod, and our idea of a ideal body is also slimmer than what others may expect.

    Beauty:




    OR



    Or

    Someone else might like this:




    Others may want something a tad more chunky....


    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Nah ...it's just that we all have difference view and expectation on what is defined as beautiful.

    The one men's meat is another's poison might not be the most appropriate analogy here .
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  7. #27
    allets
    Guests

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Yes I did enjoy myself very much and I think I was the feel uncomfortable and younger ones who had to pull off a pageant. As per you said, it has been an amazing journey for me and a very tough one for the rest who were expected to win and had to carry a lot of weight on their shoulder because of the pageant and I would really love if people would give them recognition, even though so far I've only heard of criticism which is also something pageant contestants have to learn to accept.

    Anyway, thank-you for your opinions, of course I would have loved your feedback if you want to pm me. And maybe I'll do better at my next pageant if I ever join another one that is haha. I am contestant number 11, the one in spanish costume. =)

  8. #28
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by allets View Post
    ....But being a contestant sure has gave me new insights that you probably didn't and can't see that really answers pretty much a lot about why the quality of beauty contests has dropped.
    You like to encourage the guys here to put on a skirt and enter the beauty pageant for an unbiased experience?
    Last edited by Sion; 25th August 2008 at 07:40 PM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    True
    I think in Asia, the face is more important than a great bod, and our idea of a ideal body is also slimmer than what others may expect.

    Beauty:




    OR



    Or

    Someone else might like this:




    Others may want something a tad more chunky....
    Got some more older one or not?

  10. #30
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    True
    I think in Asia, the face is more important than a great bod, and our idea of a ideal body is also slimmer than what others may expect.

    Beauty:




    OR



    Or

    Someone else might like this:




    Others may want something a tad more chunky....
    eh.,...don't mean nothing by it but...all of them..... CMI, International Pageant wise

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    aiyah Sammy, to begin with, the judges cant & sometimes those organisers behind the scenes kelong wan.

    with kelong judges why should those who can make it, put themselves through the process knowing likely they wont win? some ah peks have better judgement arh!

  12. #32
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    aiyah Sammy, to begin with, the judges cant & sometimes those organisers behind the scenes kelong wan.

    with kelong judges why should those who can make it, put themselves through the process knowing likely they wont win? some ah peks have better judgement arh!
    You are right that there are judges that are bias but there are also quite a few gay ones ..so hard to buy those votes hehehe... there are devils and angels in the entire setup of both sides...too much to go into details as I will be write long grandfather stories about it. At the end of the day is what you are willing to do to win or not win and just take away with you experiences and see not just the glam side of it but also the dark side. And if you have nothing to lose and eveyrthing to win...you keep trying. I am not kidding there are ladies who had join more then 1to 2 more times and in as many various pageants too...so really there are the die hards.

    But on the other hands...if all you have is a weak lot to choose from..then all you get is the best of the lot...whatever standards those are. It is not like a contest which organisers, judges and sponsors go out to choose and get them to join. ( yes some are asked but usually they come from all walks of life) So...even if you don't get the best "crop" the show must still go on...sponsors had already paid man... hehe.. If a pageant was really run to only select the best and if no one sign up can meet the mark..then the contest is cancelled? I think alot of contest locally will be cancelled heheh.. The smart and pretty ones these days are too smart to sign up. There will be the exceptional ones but well..sometime the exceptional ones will not win for one reason or another. Sad that is why I really want no part of it anymore. I remember the last decade I have got my company to opt out of sponsoring all these pageants...there was a time ..it was like just 1-2 a year but then more start to crop up till advetisers, sponsorers..etc were not sure where to put the money on. It all become too common and has little sense of exclusivity.
    Last edited by sammy888; 26th August 2008 at 02:36 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    yes its a long ah kong story.

    in local context, too many cooks spoil the soup!



    for the contestants.

    "Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted."
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 26th August 2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: additional text added

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    You are right that there are judges that are bias but there are also quite a few gay ones ..so hard to buy those votes hehehe... there are devils and angels in the entire setup of both sides...too much to go into details as I will be write long grandfather stories about it. At the end of the day is what you are willing to do to win or not win and just take away with you experiences and see not just the glam side of it but also the dark side. And if you have nothing to lose and eveyrthing to win...you keep trying. I am not kidding there are two ladies who had join more then 1to 2 more times and in as many various pageants too...so really there are the die hards.

    But on the other hands...if all you have is a weak lot to choose from..then all you get is the best of the lot...whatever standards those are. It is not like a contest which organisers, judges and sponsors go out to choose and get them to join. ( yes some are asked but usually they come from all walks of life) So...even if you don't get the best "crop" the show must still go on...sponsors had already paid man... hehe.. If a pageant was really run to only select the best and if no one sign up can meet the mark..then the contest is cancelled? I think alot of contest locally will be cancelled heheh.. The smart and pretty ones these days are too smart to sign up. There will be the exceptional ones but well..sometime the exceptional ones will not win for one reason or another. Sad that is why I really want no part of it anymore. I remember the last decade I have got my company to opt out of sponsoring all these pageants...there was a time ..it was like just 1-2 a year but then more start to crop up till advetisers, sponsorers..etc were not sure where to put the money on. It all become too common and has little sense of exclusivity.
    I fully agreed with you on this bro.

    When I was working as an assistant many years back, we were the sponsoring photography studio and even at the prelims, we already knows who's goin to be the top 3 liow

    For this Ms Singapore, it's even worst. Read somewhere that some of the contestants were not happy with the way some of the "titles" were given out. Eg: Most Supportive Husband Award was given to the husband who help his wife sent in some of her material but did not do much else and not to the husband who attend every trainning session to give support. Oh yeah, the above winner JUST HAPPEN to also be the one who bought quite a few tables at the finals, Wounder if the wife won any other "Titles"
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  15. #35
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    For this Ms Singapore, it's even worst. Read somewhere that some of the contestants were not happy with the way some of the "titles" were given out. Eg: Most Supportive Husband Award was given to the husband who help his wife sent in some of her material but did not do much else and not to the husband who attend every trainning session to give support. Oh yeah, the above winner JUST HAPPEN to also be the one who bought quite a few tables at the finals, Wounder if the wife won any other "Titles"
    Miss Most Tables Award?

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Miss Most Tables Award?
    Should be Mr Most Table Award lar

    By the way, the contestants were "required" to help sell advertising space in the program booklets also you know? Poor thing, still have to help the org. make money but I'm sure that their "effort" did not go to waste and must have counted for one of the "Titles" as well.

    BTW, the few postings by me is not to OT but given what is happening in the local "Beauty Contest" how many of our beautiful and smart Miss or Ms will be willing to join Beauty Contest? Maybe that's why the standard is dropping, or rather have already dropped so much
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  17. #37

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Actually an award was given to one contestant who had the most supporters and bought the most tables.

    I actually thought she did well in poise, confidence and flair. Perhaps she was not the prettiest (she is pretty) but she had the sassiness and perky nature to be in the sales, or insurance line and do well. Plus she looked comfortable in swimwear, probably because she does diving as a hobby.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Actually an award was given to one contestant who had the most supporters and bought the most tables.

    I actually thought she did well in poise, confidence and flair. Perhaps she was not the prettiest (she is pretty) but she had the sassiness and perky nature to be in the sales, or insurance line and do well. Plus she looked comfortable in swimwear, probably because she does diving as a hobby.
    In order to win this award,
    winners must have the most supporters,
    more supporters means more tables,
    more tables means more money to buy the tables.

    So this "Title" is actually "bought with money" ?
    There goes the dream of "every one is equal and stand the same chance of winning". It's gone the way of "who has more money will win".

    Would you be interested to join a contest like this?

    As I've said, maybe that's why the standard have dropped.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  19. #39
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    In order to win this award,
    winners must have the most supporters,
    more supporters means more tables,
    more tables means more money to buy the tables.

    So this "Title" is actually "bought with money" ?
    There goes the dream of "every one is equal and stand the same chance of winning". It's gone the way of "who has more money will win".

    Would you be interested to join a contest like this?

    As I've said, maybe that's why the standard have dropped.
    Well it is getting more commecial as each contet goes by I guess. I am a bit paisey to say but my last ex was a Ms Singapore Finalist in the late 80s. She won two titles...if I recall it was Best Personality and Beautiful legs. She entered on her own and well she was manager of a hair salon that was also sponsoring the hair work for the contestant. Not sure how much of a pull it made for her to win both those titles heheh...anyway..the winner who won was predicted by most to take the crown. heh.. If her hair salon company had anything to do with it ... it would be some hair related thingy like Most Beautiful hair. She won some shoe sponsorship thingy..etc. Anyway back then...it was no so much the sponsors play games ...at least not that gung ho.. The buaya bit was more the game. You have to play protector pretty much if your girl is participating in such shows. It is not just about girls who are willing to do "anything" to win but the buayas are just as forward in their attempt to prey on the "win at all course" ladies. Sad really. Many stories I know personally and I tell you..if you know what I know..some of the personalitys I could name would shatter some of your fantasy or people you admire.

    It gets whispered around thus it does contribute to standards taking a nose dive as years goes by as more avoids it. Smart ladies are getting wise to the game and thus will avoid such contests. There are not more profitable ways for them to hook a rich guy without flashing like that heeeeee...plus the fact alot more of them also know how to use their looks and smart mind to earn their own way if not even more so then some of those buaya guys who try to woo them with money. heheh..

  20. #40
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Well it is getting more commecial as each contet goes by I guess. I am a bit paisey to say but my last ex was a Ms Singapore Finalist in the late 80s. She won two titles...if I recall it was Best Personality and Beautiful legs. She entered on her own and well she was manager of a hair salon that was also sponsoring the hair work for the contestant. Not sure how much of a pull it made for her to win both those titles heheh...anyway..the winner who won was predicted by most to take the crown. heh.. If her hair salon company had anything to do with it ... it would be some hair related thingy like Most Beautiful hair. She won some shoe sponsorship thingy..etc. Anyway back then...it was no so much the sponsors play games ...at least not that gung ho.. The buaya bit was more the game. You have to play protector pretty much if your girl is participating in such shows. It is not just about girls who are willing to do "anything" to win but the buayas are just as forward in their attempt to prey on the "win at all course" ladies. Sad really. Many stories I know personally and I tell you..if you know what I know..some of the personalitys I could name would shatter some of your fantasy or people you admire.

    It gets whispered around thus it does contribute to standards taking a nose dive as years goes by as more avoids it. Smart ladies are getting wise to the game and thus will avoid such contests. There are not more profitable ways for them to hook a rich guy without flashing like that heeeeee...plus the fact alot more of them also know how to use their looks and smart mind to earn their own way if not even more so then some of those buaya guys who try to woo them with money. heheh..
    Some nature photographers have been trying to shoot buayas locally.

    They would be happy to know the beauty pageants are the place the buayas are congregating. Maybe the lights and perfume are attracting them?
    Last edited by Sion; 26th August 2008 at 07:23 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •