Thread: Why ah, is macro photography called "macro" photography?

Question Why ah, is macro photography called "macro" photography?

Someobody enlighten me, please. It's something that's been bugging me for the longest time.

When we talk about management styles, sociological approaches, etc, "Macro" usually means the big picture, while "Micro" refers to zooming in to details.

So in photography, shouldn't it be say, when we use a 10mm to capture the scenery of a forest, that is called macro photography, then when we use our 105mm "macro" lens to capture capture the insects in this forest, that would be called micro photography?

And photography through microscopes is called photomicroscopy, so there should be no confusion, yes?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Why ah, is macro photography called "macro" photography?

I think it's called macro because of the whole big picture that it gives, ala the subject is the BIG picture/emphasis within the picture itself?

I'm obviously feeling around in the dark now. correct me if I'm wrong.

might as well ask...

y ar, everyone call macro lenses, macros lenses... but nikon call it micro lenses... y ar?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Really? Not a Nikon user, so never paid attention. But if Nikon really does call their "macro" lenses "micro", then I think maybe they're the only ones who have gotten it right?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

well, my dictionary defines macro as '1. very large in scale' .

So yes, don't macro lens make small subjects bigger, and hence, 'very large'?
    Last edited by Daedalus Trent; 23rd August 2008 at 09:42 PM.

either way, you can look at it as a MACRO lens making MICRO objects look "MACRO" in size, or a MICRO lens for "MICRO" sized objects made to look larger..either way, it sure beats ERP (eat rojak pay)

why is photography called photography ar?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why is photography called photography ar?
    HAHAHAHA. I think you should be more exposed to wiki :P kidding

"The word "photography" comes from the French photographie which is based on the Greek φώς (phos) "light" + γραφίς (graphis) "stylus", "paintbrush" or γραφή (graphê) "representation by means of lines" or "drawing", together meaning "drawing with light." Traditionally, the product of photography has been called a photograph, commonly shortened to photo."

just to disturb u :P

Quote Originally Posted by labla View Post
    "The word "photography" comes from the French photographie which is based on the Greek φώς (phos) "light" + γραφίς (graphis) "stylus", "paintbrush" or γραφή (graphê) "representation by means of lines" or "drawing", together meaning "drawing with light." Traditionally, the product of photography has been called a photograph, commonly shortened to photo."
    why is french called french?

why is greek called greek?

why is paintbrush called paintbrush?

you get the idea...................

in fact, why is wiki called wiki? why can't it be called wackipedia?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why is french called french?

why is greek called greek?

why is paintbrush called paintbrush?

you get the idea...................

in fact, why is wiki called wiki? why can't it be called wackipedia?
    Hahaha yep yep you've gotta ask the Etymologists for all these

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Someobody enlighten me, please. It's something that's been bugging me for the longest time.

When we talk about management styles, sociological approaches, etc, "Macro" usually means the big picture, while "Micro" refers to zooming in to details.

So in photography, shouldn't it be say, when we use a 10mm to capture the scenery of a forest, that is called macro photography, then when we use our 105mm "macro" lens to capture capture the insects in this forest, that would be called micro photography?

And photography through microscopes is called photomicroscopy, so there should be no confusion, yes?
    This topic is borderline kopitiam, and given the way the discussion has turned, it's definitely kopitiam stuff.

But i agree - Nikon had probably got it right calling it micro photography.

macro.... my guess is that ... cos it give you the big picture of your subject....

so when you take a macro pic of a housefly.... a flower.... it shows you the macro detail view of how your subject is made up? :s
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

When we talk about management styles, sociological approaches, etc, "Macro" usually means the big picture ... blablabla
    I think you have already answered your own question. You are too caught up in the mambo-jumbo technicality of a definition to see it the other way.

Macro photography is about presenting small subjects life size or more, by magnifying the subjects (using a dedicated macro lens, close-up filters, TC, ext tubes, stacked lenses, reversed lens, bellows, or in some combinations, etc.), in order to show the 'big picture' as you have so aptly described. See the light now?

in that case..... micro photography means using the "micro" lens to photograph micro subjects without using microscope ???

when the subject is not micro enough, cannot use "micro", so use "macro" instead

I hazard a guess ... really, because for the most part, even IF I am correct, the 'answer' may not make sense to a lot of people ...

And ... the best part is, my greatest clue came from ... no, not any encyclopedia or physics or linguistic reference, but a little tune I remembered from this charming edu series named 'Sesame Street'!

Macro or Micro (excuse the marketing difference - just put it aside for a moment) ... is actually a whimsical, and seemingly ironic play or 'twist' on something known to anyone involved with optics, optical laws, theories, lenses bla bla bla and naturally, photography ..

... as 'perspectives'.

Now, if anyone can find that Sesame Street song (I may be wrong, and it may actually be some other children's rhyme or cutsey edu tune), you may hit on the 'answer', or interpretation of which.

Heheheehehe ... sometimes, you have to look at things the way a child does ... to see ... the bigger peekture !!! ... but but but, is it really bigger, or smaller?

Never thought about it

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    might as well ask...

y ar, everyone call macro lenses, macros lenses... but nikon call it micro lenses... y ar?
    The answers are in this article..
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...kkor/n25_e.htm

This is a sequel to the first article if you're still interested...
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...kkor/n26_e.htm
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th August 2008 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splim View Post
    in that case..... micro photography means using the "micro" lens to photograph micro subjects without using microscope ???

when the subject is not micro enough, cannot use "micro", so use "macro" instead
    yups micro photography usually used in 'microscope' images
    so use camera lens of cos macro in comparison lor..