Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese gymnasts underage

Default Re: Chinese gymnasts underage

You read the article today regarding Chinese athletes. They started so young such that they suffered emotional and physical harms such as damaged eyesight for the divers.

So what if China get 51 gold? No big deal
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

some opinions may differ... some are obsessed with the medals, the-all-out-to-win-at-all-costs. for these peps, medals are everything.

that issue isn't too far back.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    Younger gymnasts have a certain advantage based on their body not maturing fully yet compared to girls who have already bloomed in puberty and become more womanly...not so good for gymnastics.

Not to be sour but what's the big deal with following the rules of a competition and competing at age 16 instead of FORGING documents just to get an advantage?
    Exactly my point. Rules and boundaries were set within the parameter for a specific game and everyone who participate have to observe them so how hard is it to do so? If you don't think that is fair..don't join.

There is no one size fits all solution...things that we perceive wrong does not mean we are more right.....we live in different environment and we too have our own problem to fix.....To an unfortunate family, kids are a liability....to a communist society....kids are assets....and will be groomed and educated by the party to fit in a role that will contribute to the country......you can be a peasant or you can be a minister......it's down to your potential and hard work.....the contribution is still the same.

Look at our kid....some are being forced to attend play school, lessons, tuitions, kindergarten at the same toddling age.....just because they don't sweat or stretch...we think that is alright and more humanitarian than the Chinese kids whom attending gym, wu shu temple or Chinese opera house.....we think our kids are happier....I think our kids are luckier....I think our parents are kiasuer....like wise for the Chinese parents...they too have to worry about their kids' future......the different is the options presented are limited

We have people rear a chiwawa as a pet and was daily fed with food that can feed a poor Chinese family for a week....in china...that chiwawa will become a good source of protein......we think this is cruel but they will think that's god given and the right thing to do....to survive.

Pardon me for my powderful england if you can't quite get what I mean on the above....I've never attended a kindergarden and english tuition when I was 6....forgive me too if I am OOP too much as I am too awake to go to bed now...I blame it on pre parenthood stress syndrom And to sum all up....we always judge others by our standard.....don't forget they too will judge us by their standard....if the world is fair and all of us have equal playing field....than there won be necessary to compete and decide who is stronger, higher and faster

Very valid points too.

I don't think the whole issue is about if it is right to have these kids start training so young.... it's more of China's alleged abuse of it's power to ensure Olympic victory at all cost even if it means breaking the rules to the point of forging a fake passport etc

By the way some wrote; it sounds like it is already proven that the Chinese cheat. If not, why stand on the side of the accuser instead of giving the benefit of doubt. Asians are small build in the first place and the Chinese has so many talents to choose from, so why do they want to risk their name just becos of one person.

About starting at a very year age, I agree with Big Kahuna, it is the problem with the parent/adult and the choice they have under their circumstances. They will always say, it is for your own good and decide everything for the kid at a very young ago. For some, training start even before the baby is born.
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

Sometimes, I wonder... will this be such a big issue if US is the one who have the unfair advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    By the way some wrote; it sounds like it is already proven that the Chinese cheat. If not, why stand on the side of the accuser instead of giving the benefit of doubt. Asians are small build in the first place and the Chinese has so many talents to choose from, so why do they want to risk their name just becos of one person.

About starting at a very year age, I agree with Big Kahuna, it is the problem with the parent/adult and the choice they have under their circumstances. They will always say, it is for your own good and decide everything for the kid at a very young ago. For some, training start even before the baby is born.

I don't think in this case it was based solely on the looks of the gymnasts. Rather it was the suspicions were based on registrars that have since been removed that shown the girl was underaged. Put it this way..... there were too many doubts and loopholes. I am a Chinese but then honestly Im not proud of how China handles some of it's affairs now. And doing things like digitally adding fireworks, using a girl to lip synch cos the singer is not "cute" enough" and God knows what other "assurances" to create a perfect image, it reminds me so much of the China of past dynasties where officials do all in their power to ensure the image of perfection. The cost? The decline of China cos everyone believed in the illusion to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by idor View Post
    Sometimes, I wonder... will this be such a big issue if US is the one who have the unfair advantage?
    US are always the sore losers lar...........permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    I don't think in this case it was based solely on the looks of the gymnasts. Rather it was the suspicions were based on registrars that have since been removed that shown the girl was underaged. Put it this way..... there were too many doubts and loopholes. I am a Chinese but then honestly Im not proud of how China handles some of it's affairs now. And doing things like digitally adding fireworks, using a girl to lip synch cos the singer is not "cute" enough" and God knows what other "assurances" to create a perfect image, it reminds me so much of the China of past dynasties where officials do all in their power to ensure the image of perfection. The cost? The decline of China cos everyone believed in the illusion to be real.
    LOL... its not only China man... Its everywhere... Its just that some country have perfected the art of propaganda while others are still learning...

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post

My father was playing with Canons while I was still in the womb, and I heard all the clicks and funny sounds.............

Now I am grown up, I play with Nikons..........it really works!

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    My father was playing with Canons while I was still in the womb, and I heard all the clicks and funny sounds.............

HS
    Maybe the clicks were the sound of the bed creaking?

Maybe the parents cheated and fooled the government instead?

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post

HS
    I think the Canons you assumed were Nikons because you hadn't opened the little eyes and couldn't read alphabets yet.

Actually there is no age limit to compete in the Olympics.

However, some sports do have age requirements for health and safety reasons.

Competition rules of certain international federations cite age limits as follows:
    - Boxing (17-32)
    - Diving (minimum of 14)
    - Equestrian (16 or older)
    - Figure skating (15 by July 1 of previous year)
    - Gymnastics (must be 16 years old in Olympic year)
    - Judo (15 or older)
    - Soccer (under 23)
    - Team handball (over 18)
    - Weightlifting (17 or older)
    - Wrestling (must be at least 17 on day of Opening Ceremonies).

But strangely, I am not so sure whether the age restriction rules apply to the Youth Olympics
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post

Competition rules of certain international federations cite age limits as follows:
    - Boxing (17-32)
    - Diving (minimum of 14)
    - Judo (15 or older)
    - Soccer (under 23)

But strangely, I am not so sure whether the age restriction rules apply to the Youth Olympics
    Have.

Cannot be too old like Sion.

If you're this old also cannot participate:

Last edited by entropy_h; 28th August 2008 at 01:45 PM.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post

- Boxing (17-32)
    - Diving (minimum of 14)
    - Judo (15 or older)
    - Soccer (under 23)

That's a good example listing...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    There is no one size fits all solution...things that we perceive wrong does not mean we are more right.....we live in different environment and we too have our own problem to fix.....To an unfortunate family, kids are a liability....to a communist society....kids are assets....and will be groomed and educated by the party to fit in a role that will contribute to the country......you can be a peasant or you can be a minister......it's down to your potential and hard work.....the contribution is still the same.

Look at our kid....some are being forced to attend play school, lessons, tuitions, kindergarten at the same toddling age.....just because they don't sweat or stretch...we think that is alright and more humanitarian than the Chinese kids whom attending gym, wu shu temple or Chinese opera house.....we think our kids are happier....I think our kids are luckier....I think our parents are kiasuer....like wise for the Chinese parents...they too have to worry about their kids' future......the different is the options presented are limited

We have people rear a chiwawa as a pet and was daily fed with food that can feed a poor Chinese family for a week....in china...that chiwawa will become a good source of protein......we think this is cruel but they will think that's god given and the right thing to do....to survive.

Pardon me for my powderful england if you can't quite get what I mean on the above....I've never attended a kindergarden and english tuition when I was 6....forgive me too if I am OOP too much as I am too awake to go to bed now...I blame it on pre parenthood stress syndrom And to sum all up....we always judge others by our standard.....don't forget they too will judge us by their standard....if the world is fair and all of us have equal playing field....than there won be necessary to compete and decide who is stronger, higher and faster
    Well said !!!

I can't understand why there's so much China Bashing?? You want to talk about cheating? What about the news about another country's doping charge? How come no one slam that guy for a CLEAR CUT CASE OF CHEATING???
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Well said !!!

I can't understand why there's so much China Bashing?? You want to talk about cheating? What about the news about another country's doping charge? How come no one slam that guy for a CLEAR CUT CASE OF CHEATING???

eh....not really leh...like me I am just sticking to the topic which specifically talk about China's heh.. I lambast all this at other forummers when talking about it in general heh I think I did bring in abit about USA's "legendary Marion Jones" who fall from grace just this year. Don't even get me started on other countries..

I am an equal opportunity side line bitcher kopitiam style heheh
    Last edited by sammy888; 28th August 2008 at 02:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast