Thread: Do you recycle the silica gel in your dry box?

Default Do you recycle the silica gel in your dry box?

As above, do any of you recycle by either microwaving or re-heating the silica gel in a conventional oven?

Yes, I do. I stir-fry them with 6" frying pan over the gas stove. Oven and mircowave were out as my mum would scream my head off!

Yes, I just baked them for about 3 mins in my toaster oven

Originally posted by Nospeech
    Yes, I do. I stir-fry them with 6" frying pan over the gas stove. Oven and mircowave were out as my mum would scream my head off!

u just place the silica gel onto the pan and dry?
    does it err... stain the pan

for how long?

Originally posted by Nospeech
    I see.... and she does not mind you using the frying pan and stir-fryer which both come into direct contact with the food? Interesting...

Used to stir fry them once a while in a biscuit tin....

But then came the dry cabinet.

i tried putting in micro oven for 3 mins ended up spoilt.
    then i bought new silica gel...

I'm using toaster oven, you know those type with heating coil all over the interior

Used to fry the silica gel in the family wok but it left a plasticky smell that I couldn't get rid of. Noticed that such recycled gel usually doesn't last as long as fresh ones from the store. Now I just chuck every equipment into an electric dry cabinet.

Default Re: Do you recycle the silica gel in your dry box?

Just put them under the sun for a sun bathe, and they will be as good as new.

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    As above, do any of you recycle by either microwaving or re-heating the silica gel in a conventional oven?

Originally posted by kh_drew
    Used to fry the silica gel in the family wok but it left a plasticky smell that I couldn't get rid of. Noticed that such recycled gel usually doesn't last as long as fresh ones from the store. Now I just chuck every equipment into an electric dry cabinet.
    hmmmm if so troublesome, then I think I might just junk them instead.

Default Re: Re: Do you recycle the silica gel in your dry box?

Originally posted by ivor
    Just put them under the sun for a sun bathe, and they will be as good as new.
    not a good idea for me cos I dun want my cats wandering into my balcony to either play or accidentally swallow them.

Thanks for the input anyways

Default Re: Re: Re: Do you recycle the silica gel in your dry box?

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    not a good idea for me cos I dun want my cats wandering into my balcony to either play or accidentally swallow them.

Thanks for the input anyways
    hmmm dried preserved cat gut...now that's interesting...why don't you try one of those electric cabinet from carrefour or something? anyway, a box of gel is about $4 so it's cheeeeep

silica gel is not poisonous... i usually reheat in the microwave...

I just did! It was more out of desperation that I popped my silica gel into the microwave. The socket of my dry cabinet konked out and I had to keep my stuff dry. The gel were bought about 20 years ago (REALLY!!!) and has been in a plastic dry box since then. Well, after microwaving it, they all turned into a healthy shade of blue again (though I noticed that some of the gel became smaller in size). Poured them onto a tray and placed it inside my dry cabinet. Well, the humidity has dropped a fair bit, which should give me enough time to get that socket fixed.

Originally posted by blizzy
    u just place the silica gel onto the pan and dry?
    does it err... stain the pan for how long?
    Yes, just place it into the frying pan and stir-fry them. No staining of the pan (using a non-stick pan) and for how long, till it turns to blue again.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    I see.... and she does not mind you using the frying pan and stir-fryer which both come into direct contact with the food? Interesting...
    Well, the pan isn't used for cooking food. Brought a set of 3 pans of different size, took the 6" and gave the rest to my mum for cooking. My stir-fry pan is kept away from the rest of the pans and woks she have.