Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malaysia PM Abdullah Badawi Getting a taste of commuters' woes

Default Re: Malaysia PM Abdullah Badawi Getting a taste of commuters' woes

If any of you have worked in KL before you will know it is not at all rare to have to spend 1 and hlf hours traevlling to work (1 way) whether you take the bus, train or drive. Most people don't stay near train stations as the density of houses are much much lower than singapore and if you have to take a bus, good luck. Buses arrive every half hour (if you're lucky) and are normally jam packed. Chances are you will have to make a change to another bus or train to get to your work place so imagine having to run all over the place to catch your next ride (bus interchanges in KL are a mess to put it nicely, buses stop wherever there is free space.. no such thing as bus bays). When you do catch your next ride chances are you will have to squeeze again. Things are much worse if it happens to rain on that particular day. So if public transport are so bad why don't people drive? Well most people who can afford it will have a car, imagine how jammed it is during rush hour. The last I kept track it took more than 1 hour to travel less than 5 km. My dad used to wake up at 5.45am and leaves the house at 6.15-6.30am eventhough he starts work at 9, to beat the traffic. Imagine yourself doing that, now it's a struggle for me even to wake up at 8am

Even with the latest stunt by the M'sian PM it is a long long long long long long way before KL catches up to Singapore's level... Now after working here for a few years I cannot imagine having to work in KL and face all of that everyday....
    Last edited by zj2000; 22nd August 2008 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    so efficient that some need to miss a few buses or mrt trains during peak hours. That's real bloody efficient

Some more have to squeeze like sardine sometime, or wait for more than half an hour occasionally, consider how small and compact Sinagpore is.
    You should try working in KL for a change.... your eyes will be opened...

I do know KL is worse if compare to UK, although I actually heard HK transport system is better than sg, but why would we want to compare to some worse one instead of improving the system better?
    Last edited by zcf; 22nd August 2008 at 03:51 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Publicity or not, at least he experienced it himself. It doesn't matter our PM or ministers try or not, want better services? Pay and pay Loh.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    You should try working in KL for a change.... your eyes will be opened...
    So the girls there are more beautiful?

I do know KL is worse if compare to UK, although I actually heard HK transport system is better than sg, but why would we want to compare to some worse one instead of improving the system better?
    agree!

i can't imagine situations heading downhill. anyway, there are many contributing factors that render any comparison useless. we should just compare ourselves to yesterday/year.

After the ride, PM Abdullah decided to slash the petrol price...

Quote Originally Posted by eugene_nyc View Post
    After the ride, PM Abdullah decided to slash the petrol price...
    I was hoping he allows us to ride on top of the trains.

Although it's obviously a publicity stun, but last I heard since Mly PM visited the IC/Passport/Immigration department, it delay had been much improved. Although his claim to reduce corruption doesn't seem to improve much

Well, unless Justice Bao is alive lor....corruption is trendy these days. If you don't bribe, people will think something wrong with you...

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    agree!

i can't imagine situations heading downhill. anyway, there are many contributing factors that render any comparison useless. we should just compare ourselves to yesterday/year.
    why not compare with Tokyo. That place is crowded but no one there have to wait for more than 1 train. From what. Was told

actually, i dont quite understand the part about people asking others to compare 2 different cities system.

we are staying here in singapore, our boss expect me to me at work on time. he / she dont care about how transport system of other countries are better / worst than here in singapore. so we are told that we have to just wake up earlier to take earlier service. but we are stuck in middle cause maybe, we have to send our kids to mom's house, child care centre, kindergarden etc.

also, govt is asking us to take public transport instead of using own cars to ease traffic jam / go green or for what ever reasons. so they make sure it is much more $$$ to travel with own cars, so now the public transport becomes even more crowded.

so than, why can we expect our transport system to be even better than what it is now since they are forever increasing fares to maintain profit margin (not that they are wrong, all companies exist to make money mah)?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by danielcheong1974 View Post
    why not compare with Tokyo. That place is crowded but no one there have to wait for more than 1 train. From what. Was told
    well, there they hire people whose job is soley to cram and compact the people into the train cabins by force.
    sigh.

while the TS has started out with a situation from abroad. the complex reality of a system can never be isolated without giving weight to mitigating factors that affects it.

while there are improvements to local transport system (trains, buses, cab) as a whole. the increasing number of commuters means the improvements are less obvious. for example, newer trains fitted with frills like tiny screens that are not even switched on is not what commuters call an improvement (my guess its for generating advertising revenue). does the increasing number of passangers did not generate enough revenue for the operators?

the bottom line is that transport operators have monopoly in the system therefore increasing fares is the route of least resistance. if there was competition in its true nature, operators would have put effort to reduce operating costs. economies of scale would have affected a win-win situation, but not in this case.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 24th August 2008 at 02:27 AM.

wayang only... kns the LRT has been around so many years, now only he bother to take a ride and try? They are just trying anything they can to keep Anwar at bay

Quote Originally Posted by danielcheong1974 View Post
    Tokyo during peak hrs is quite jialat. Literally packed like sardines. They even have station pushers at some station just to push and pack ppl into the train.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12