Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

  1. #1

    Question Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    I am looking for a prosumer grade digital point and shoot camera that is versatile, wide-angle and is able to take decent photographs of night scenes or scenes with low light.

    Is the Panasonic DMC-FZ18 up to the task? Any other suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,125

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerox Millienium View Post
    I am looking for a prosumer grade digital point and shoot camera that is versatile, wide-angle and is able to take decent photographs of night scenes or scenes with low light.

    Is the Panasonic DMC-FZ18 up to the task? Any other suggestions?
    Fujifilm S100FS better than the Panas in low light.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    The S100FS has got mixed reviews. Some sites are raving its image quality, but others so it's only so-so.

    Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the DMC-FZ18. IIRC it's going for several hundred dollars cheaper than the S100FS now.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Canon S5IS,
    Disadv: quite noisy above ISO 100
    Adv: Super Macro, flexible LCD, CHDK to extend the camera function e.g like shutter speed 60 seconds

    Just my exp, was comparing with S100FS and S5IS ... but S100FS quite new and cost around S$880 at that time even of course more zoom, manual focus, etc

    But I think it doesn't justify with the price may go for DSLR as well.

    But it's depend on what you want , what you can sacrifice, what cannot, what kind of photograph do you want to take if mostly night scene.

    Panasonic, I've used Lumix FX-30 before but I'm not satisfied with that camera.

    Look at the picture result produced by the cameras

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298997 Canon S1/2/3/5IS
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346193 Fuji S100FS
    DPreview.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 may be out soon.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  6. #6

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 may be out soon.
    Looks good... 18X, with Raw output as well... S5IS dun have raw output except using CHDK

    one thing i like about Pana it's the 28mm lens

  7. #7

    Question Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 may be out soon.
    Any idea when it's coming out?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Wzierbovsky View Post
    The S100FS has got mixed reviews. Some sites are raving its image quality, but others so it's only so-so.

    Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the DMC-FZ18. IIRC it's going for several hundred dollars cheaper than the S100FS now.
    Yeah I think after reading around on the Internet, it's really a drooling buy. However, I was hoping I can get something which can take night or low lighted scenes decently. I'm not an avid photographer but based on my past experience with non image stabilising point and shoot compact digital camera, the Olympus C770, night shots always turns out very bad.

    I tried my very best to use night scene mode and try to make my hands as sturdy as possible by leaning against a wall or something. Still turn out bad. And the flash is sometimes unwanted when taking very near shots, the whole image gets white out. :P

  9. #9
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,125

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerox Millienium View Post
    Yeah I think after reading around on the Internet, it's really a drooling buy. However, I was hoping I can get something which can take night or low lighted scenes decently. I'm not an avid photographer but based on my past experience with non image stabilising point and shoot compact digital camera, the Olympus C770, night shots always turns out very bad.

    I tried my very best to use night scene mode and try to make my hands as sturdy as possible by leaning against a wall or something. Still turn out bad. And the flash is sometimes unwanted when taking very near shots, the whole image gets white out. :P
    To help get decent pics for night shots, always use a tripod. I still recommend the S100FS.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Nikon P6000
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  11. #11

    Default Re: Suggestions for prosumer grade digital camera

    Hi,

    I suggest you to go for canon PowerShot A650. Its performance is better than Panasonic DMC-FZ18. Canon provides you 12.1 mega pixel resolution, the quality of the image is good in low light also, and the cost is also reasonable.
    I recently bought it for my cousin and itís simply superb.

    You can checkout the link below for more reviews.
    http://www.checkcost.co.uk/digital-cameras/c/4368/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •