Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: really good compact camera

Default really good compact camera

Hello!

Ive finally made the decision to NOT buy a DSLR and to go for a compact camera. That for just one reason: I think Im not the person who is keen on carrying a big and heavy camera while travelling, and I think that I will use a camera that I can have with me all the time more often. I guess I would be too lazy and leave the dslr at home instead of carrying it with me.

Now Im looking for a really good compact camera.

What I would like to photograph

I will be travelling in India for 6 months. So I would like to take good landscape pictures, portraits (even at a long distance) and photos in suboptimal conditions as bad light

The size of the camera

I dont want a dslr, doesnt matter that the picture quality is better. Nor do I like a camera like a prosumer which is just very little smaller than a dslr. Im looking for a compact camera. Doesnt have to be an ultra compact camera, tough. But it shouldnt be bigger as a canon g9 for instance

How much money I could spend

Money isnt the main criteria. The most important ist hat the camera does suit my needs, Im willing to pay much if its worth the price.

Special wishes or needs

I dont nead as many pixels as possible, as I wont print my pictures to posters. The main criteria is a good image quality, even at not perfect light.
    I would like to have at least 4x optical zoom, better 5x or 6x.
    Its important that the camera is quick in use.

cameras that Ive already considered.

Uu, I really like the Canon Ixus 860 IS which my sister bought a half a year ago. I like the picture quality and the menu Canon offers, so until now Ive mainly stuck to Canon with my research. But if another brand is really good, why not

Ok, I hope thats enough for the opening post

Thank you!

Lagom

Default Re: really good compact camera

May wanna consider the new Fujifilm F60d or F100d.... compact and perform well...

Check out Fuji F series or the Sony H/W series.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Can consider the Panasonic TZ15, this camera is really design for traveler in mind. It have a 10 times zoom in a compact size.

Well, if money ain't the factor, why not consider leica. =D Certainly a good brand.

Well, the Panasonix Lumix LX3 looks really tempting. It has most of the features you find in a DSLR and some even better like the 24-60mm f/2-2.8 lens which would cost a lot on a DSLR and that wide angle is really a boon when taking landscapes. What more with 720p HD video recording, that really seals the deal.
    Last edited by MarkTan89; 22nd August 2008 at 01:50 PM.

for Lumix LX3 with the full manual that is the closest to high-end compact camera for prices below $750!!
    http://saboramos.wordpress.com/
    Olympus EM-5 / EP-2 / 17mm / 45mm / 12-50mm l Minolta X700

Sony W300.
    Alpha

Hello!

Thank you for all the hints.

About the Lumix DMC-LX3EG: What's about the optical Zoom? have a look here: it's indicated that the optical zoom is 2.5, but there's something written about an "extra optical zoom". what's that??

Do you know any test or review of the camera?? I couldn't find any.

Lagom

ermmm... a G9 perhaps?

Nikon P6000 ?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Hi Lagom, the extra optical Zoom is to increase the length of the zoom from 2.5x to 5.5x by reducing the number of megapixels.

You can read the review from other user here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397000

for lumix LX3 nice......
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by saboramos View Post
    Hi Lagom, the extra optical Zoom is to increase the length of the zoom from 2.5x to 5.5x by reducing the number of megapixels.

You can read the review from other user here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397000
    What do you think of that? Is it useable? I don't really get it how it work, isn't it then just digital zoom? Or: If I don't choose the highest solution, then I can zoom 5.5x? How does that affect the picture quality?

...Doesn't anybody know the answer to my question? would be really grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by lagom View Post
    It's not that we don't know it... It's just that typing it out would take 10 times as long as finding the info yourself. We're just trying to make sure you don't get dependent on spoonfeeding.
    Alpha

What do you think of that? Is it useable? I don't really get it how it work, isn't it then just digital zoom? Or: If I don't choose the highest solution, then I can zoom 5.5x? How does that affect the picture quality?
    Panasonic's Extra Zoom uses the central part of the image sensor only to produce a "zoom" image. It is abit different from Digital Zoom as it don't interpolate, however you would get a smaller image. The benefit is that you get the "extra" zoom with a smaller footprint & better focus & metering as compared to a later cropping in PS.

Hope it answer your question.

Thank you, Anson. So I can zoom with the extra zoom directly while taking the picture?

@ Rashkae: it's not about "Spoonfeeding". I can actually eat without any extern help. But the decision for a good camera isn't that easy! I am looking for a camera that doesn't let me down after a couple of photos. I am reading all night long reviews about cameras, study factsheets and so on. But nowhere until now I've found an exact information about extra optical zoom. Maybe I'm stupid, Maybe I'm blind, but I just didn't. So I decided to ask in a photo community. If you don't feel for answering my question, just let it be. that's ok and I can understand that... Of course it's not the funniest thing to answer to similar questions all day long. but as you seem to be calculating all the time you spend your last post must have been a waste of time...

Thank you anyway for all the help I receive in this forum!

Lagom, it will be best if you could lay your hands and try it on the display model. Why not try it at Comex at Suntec Convention Hall at the end of the month. (I think!!). Though you will have to fight with tons of people at Panasonic booth.. haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast