Thread: newbie@clubsnap

Default newbie@clubsnap

Hi everyone! i am new here in clubsnap and in singapore, i find this forum interesting and educational. one thing i read was people getting ripped from camera shops around singapore specially if you're not a local, vendors could smell you from a far, anywayz i've been there! but thanks to clubsnap i've read and tried credible shops like John 3:16...

i have a question regarding aperture settings what are the benefits of using a small aperture? like f22? knowing that a large aperture gives "bokeh", and mid size gives a sharper picture...

thanks in advance!

Hope to meet you guyz soon!

Default Re: newbie@clubsnap

F22 create starburst from Lamppost when used in the night... Can also use to check ur sensor got dust or not...lol

Quote Originally Posted by dada677 View Post
    i have a question regarding aperture settings what are the benefits of using a small aperture? like f22? knowing that a large aperture gives "bokeh", and mid size gives a sharper picture...
    Always, always check the price guide before buying anything. Even in reputable shops.

Smaller aperture means more of image is in focus, though overall the image may be softer due to diffraction. Also slows down shutter speed - to show movement, make water flow smooth, etc. In addition to what souloner already said.

BTW, regarding starbursts, interesting trivia here. The number of points in the star is:

# of blades in the aperture if it is even #
    2 * # of blades in the aperture if it is odd #

So, a 8 blade aperture will give 8 point stars from point light source, and a 7 blade aperture will give 14 point stars.

D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

a guide which may seem to help you
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

firstly, welcome to clubsnap

simple understanding of the relation of exposure and how aperture can affect this will allow you understand the benefits of using a small aperture -

extreme depth of field is needed in landscapes, sometimes you want to extend shutter speed to give a "flowing water" effect without using a nd filter - or you are already using a filter and don't want to stack too many.. the list can go on.

in the right condidtions, using f/22 can also render even the sun. not just lampposts, into a starburst, which can add to your picture.

Deregistered

A smaller aperture allows you to use a slower speed ..... good for "motion" shots, e.g. flowing water ....

Blog Entries

hi and welcome to the CS community

hellos and welcome to CS.
    your best experiences awaits you here
    Nikon D300s|D80|11-16 f2.8|17-50 f2.8|70-200 f2.8|35 f1.8|SB800|

hello there and welcome!
    you're new in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    in the right condidtions, using f/22 can also render even the sun. not just lampposts, into a starburst, which can add to your picture.

i ve seen ppl do it, eg sun shining through leaves etc.

but when i tried, the effect is not pronounced at all.

yet to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    i ve seen ppl do it, eg sun shining through leaves etc.

yet to figure out.
    it's slightly there, you need to underexpose this picture..

better if the sun is more concentrated , i.e. smaller hole

yup i am new here just moved about 2 months ago and still getting to know the places...
    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    hello there and welcome!
    you're new in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it's slightly there, you need to underexpose this picture..

better if the sun is more concentrated , i.e. smaller hole
    ok. thanks.

will try again.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! i just took a photo of a lampost outside my window, was just trying out the trivia posted and here it is:

it has 14 rays implies my lens has 7 blades in the aperture? nice to know

would be trying other uses once i go snapping
    Last edited by dada677; 22nd August 2008 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    Looking at the EXIF, you need a smaller aperture, and a fill flash would help with the exposure.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! i just took a photo of a lampost outside my window, was just trying out the trivia posted and here it is:

it has 14 rays implies my lens has 7 blades in the aperture? nice to know

would be trying other uses once i go snapping
    I looked it up once because I was curious. But not curious enough to find out why You're using one of the 50mm primes, right? Those usually have 7 blade apertures, not sure why. Anyway, the only really useful part of that knowledge is that the # of points in a starburst is fixed for any given lens.

Anyway, hope you have lots of fun both at these forums and in Singapore. If you don't mind sharing some information about yourself, where are you from? No need to answer if you're not comfortable answering

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    I looked it up once because I was curious. But not curious enough to find out why You're using one of the 50mm primes, right? Those usually have 7 blade apertures, not sure why. Anyway, the only really useful part of that knowledge is that the # of points in a starburst is fixed for any given lens.

Anyway, hope you have lots of fun both at these forums and in Singapore. If you don't mind sharing some information about yourself, where are you from? No need to answer if you're not comfortable answering

yup am using the nikon 50mm f1.8d on a D40. Am already starting to have fun in the forum and snapping pix around sing. well i am from the philippines specifically in baguio, a cold and mountainous place in the north, quite the opposite of singapore.

yup am using the nikon 50mm f1.8d on a D40. Am already starting to have fun in the forum and snapping pix around sing. well i am from the philippines specifically in baguio, a cold and mountainous place in the north, quite the opposite of singapore.
    Hope you won't have too hard a time adjusting to the climate Good luck in Singapore. I definitely know what it is like to be in a foreign land BTW there's quite a large Filipino community around here in California. There's even a Jollibee not too far from my house.

Hi everyone! i am new here in clubsnap and in singapore, i find this forum interesting and educational. one thing i read was people getting ripped from camera shops around singapore specially if you're not a local, vendors could smell you from a far, anywayz i've been there! but thanks to clubsnap i've read and tried credible shops like John 3:16...

thanks in advance!

Hope to meet you guyz soon!
    Welcome to the club! Just check the prices here first if u need anything. The BnS section is also useful if udun mind 2nd hand items but at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Always, always check the price guide before buying anything. Even in reputable shops.

Smaller aperture means more of image is in focus, though overall the image may be softer due to diffraction. Also slows down shutter speed - to show movement, make water flow smooth, etc. In addition to what souloner already said.

BTW, regarding starbursts, interesting trivia here. The number of points in the star is:

# of blades in the aperture if it is even #
    2 * # of blades in the aperture if it is odd #

So, a 8 blade aperture will give 8 point stars from point light source, and a 7 blade aperture will give 14 point stars.
    Interesting! Learnt something new!
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |