Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

Thread: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Bro, since you are still new to photography then don't think you will actually need to buy a 'Ray' ND filter and a Hoya brand filter will do the job jus as well (58mm filter don cost alot. maybe its ard $20 to $30 plus only)

    And if you are afraid of being scammed, then do only visit reliable shop like John 3:16, MS colour or Cathy photo etc.. usually they are quite honest with their pricing.

    And btw some shops do extract out the free gifts given by supplier to customers and sell them separately so its not really wrong to sell you the nikon tripod but think you might have pay a higher price then what it is worth of.

    Take this a learning lesson, in future please ask ard first before you buy and not buy already then start asking cos it will only add more to your pain.. (heart pain be cos of kanna chop).
    Last edited by danielskl; 20th August 2008 at 04:02 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    haiz. i contacted the salesperson. he said he was aware it was a free gift and 58 bucks is the retail price. i mentioned that alot of people told me the price does not even exceed 30 bucks elsewhere ( any way i can have a written proof of the selling price at other shops?) but he said cannot be. if there is a way i can collate the market price i shall bring it up when i see him tomorrow. hehehe

    So the ND shouldn't exceed 30bucks right (not those stellar brands) ...just checking so i wont get duped again.
    haiz. its weird leh, i have a canon camera with a nikon stand. haha. never mind tomorrow he said can come down and change to a brand new set since the screw fell off. so once i got that i will resell it at a half the price. haha at least less heart pain and save up for a trusty tripod.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    hmm catchlight, i think SR filters cost more than 100 bucks! I was considering ther Warm LB polarizer and its abt 220-240 USD for a thin 77mm one. and you haven't taken into account shipping, thats another killer.

    Anyway to the TS, suggest you save up for a gitzo. buy a good tripod once and for all, and you never need to upgrade no more!

    good luck!

  4. #24
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0200903C View Post
    hmm catchlight, i think SR filters cost more than 100 bucks! I was considering ther Warm LB polarizer and its abt 220-240 USD for a thin 77mm one. and you haven't taken into account shipping, thats another killer.

    Anyway to the TS, suggest you save up for a gitzo. buy a good tripod once and for all, and you never need to upgrade no more!

    good luck!
    thanks for the advice!

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    haiz. i contacted the salesperson. he said he was aware it was a free gift and 58 bucks is the retail price. i mentioned that alot of people told me the price does not even exceed 30 bucks elsewhere ( any way i can have a written proof of the selling price at other shops?) but he said cannot be. if there is a way i can collate the market price i shall bring it up when i see him tomorrow. hehehe
    ...
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but even if you show him market price, you cannot possibly expect him to do anything about your purchase.

    He quoted, you agreed, and you paid. It's a lawful sale.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    In any case, he quoted you a price, and you agreed and paid for it. You can't possibly go back and say "hey you cheated me" because you agreed to it.

    I would suggest not even going back there, and please do some research on filter prices. It's readily available here on CS. Then go to a reputable shop in City Hall (by reputable I mean Cathay Photo, TK Foto, John 3:16 or MS Color, NOT shops like Worldwide Camera or those at Lucky Plaza) and get your filters.
    Sorry to add I do think that Lords in Lucky Plaza is still alright, at least they are a respectable camera shop.

  7. #27
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    hahaha okay phew. because i thought he was trying to build a relation between parisilk and singh ray. hehe
    Are you for real? Please try a search engine first next time.

    As for price of ND filter, price range varies greatly. You can pay $30 for one, and still be paying too much. Brand, coating, all plays a part in the price. Do your research, look for one that's in your price range, then try to find that one at around that price. Don't go into a store and say "show me a $30 filter".

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Scammed?

    I don't think so, lah. In the sense even if the Nikon tripod was meant to be a gift-with-purchase, and hence not for sale officially, it should be worth about that price (i.e. cheap and nasty).

    Scammed is when you found out you paid $395 for a tripod and 2 days later, you find out another salesperson from the SAME shop quotes $150 for the same tripod to someone else. And when you ask why so much price difference, they give you BS reasons like "Oh, you must have heard wrongly." or "My colleague made mistake".

    Next, it is possible for a 58mm GND to approach $100. Just like ppl here have mentioned, it depends on the brand, and even the series within the brand (For example, HOYA has got the regular series, the HMC, SHMC, Pro1, etc - prices vary greatly). And of course, you don't go asking if it's gonna cost $100. You should be asking how much it costs, lah.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    nvr go back to tat shop.

    tripods get manfrotto etc....
    it will b more expensive, but worth every bit of ur hard-earned cash.

  10. #30
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    nvr go back to tat shop.

    tripods get manfrotto etc....
    it will b more expensive, but worth every bit of ur hard-earned cash.
    i decided to make peace and move on. it wont hurt much i guess.
    so yup im just staying out from that shop.

    Will go John 3:16 to buy the filters then.
    I guess I'll just stick with my non DSLR as for now.

    Peace out!

  11. #31
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Will go John 3:16 to buy the filters then.
    I guess I'll just stick with my non DSLR as for now.
    You should still do your research before buying. It's a tough crowd here, few people have much sympathy for someone who did not do research then complain about being scammed in the forums. Even a reputable shop may have an item 100% more than another store. It's not a price controlled item, it's economics at work.

  12. #32

    Red face Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Heya there,

    Just wanted to share something with you.....

    I am kinda new too and wanted ND, ND Grad filters but also wanted expandability since lens diameters are different. Did some research and found that there's Cokin P Filters which are basically rectangular filters mounted on an attachment ring..... so you can change the attachment ring size if you switch lens rather than buy 62mm ND2 ND4, 67mm ND2, ND4 and then 77mm ND2, ND4 which will add up to like 6 filters already, perhaps in the region of 6 x S$30 = $180..... Instead, you end up with ND2, ND4 + 3 types of attachment rings + a holder....

    So when you change lens, you don't need to worry about the filters being obsoleted. Not sure whether this would be the best / recommended recourse, but it worked for me.

    To top it off, since I am not a pro, I found Tian Ya P type filters (Knock offs from Cokin) on the web. Cos me S$120 to buy this (10 P typed filters + boxes + hood). You need to get the attachment ring and also holder separate..... Anyways, cheap cheap compared to my other options then....

    2 cents worth.
    Snap ?

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    2,813

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Bros, dun go back there again. $58 for a lesson, use the tripod to hang clothes. Next time save up for a manfrotto or gitzo.

    the filter just get from Cathay or Orient photo. lots to choose from.

  14. #34
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Bros, dun go back there again. $58 for a lesson, use the tripod to hang clothes. Next time save up for a manfrotto or gitzo.

    the filter just get from Cathay or Orient photo. lots to choose from.
    lol thats mean hahaha hang clothes. nola it is still functionable. see i can even take clear moon shots now





    so i shall let it remain with my S5 IS or give my cousin the tripod

  15. #35

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Ianwurn, TS was asking about an ND filter, which most of us presume to be to protect the lens. What you're suggesting is a filter system for effects.

    TS, take it as a cheap lesson, you probably paid double of what the market price is, but it's not several hundred dollars down the drain. You did the right thing by checking here, no matter how harsh some of the comments may be, the intent were to help you.

    And you need to google things more before you jump to conclusions ... that part about Singh-Ray filters was not a smart thing to post, despite how you feel about the shop right now.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Good afternoon guys!

    Just trying to enquire pertaining to the purchase of tripod before a trip. ( last minute shopping)

    I bought a tripod last week at Parisilk , Bedok. The sales person recommended me a Nikon SL 168 (ROHS) tripod priced at 58 bucks.

    Upon reaching home, I asked about the retail price here and some users replied that that was a cut throat price while another user mentioned he got the tripod as a complement with a purchase of his nikon camera and hence, this model is not for sale.

    So if the shop sells me this, isn't it not legit in the first place?
    Me, being a noob at camera accessories bought it and 5 hours later, a metal piece (scrwelike) dropped off from the tripod. I realized that some of the gaps have greases overflowing on the sides while the adjuster lever seems very tight to rotate. Looks like a second hand piece.

    I called back the shop asking if they sell the same model ( pretending i'm interested) to check on the price and he can't quote me a price so i suspect the shop anyohow quote prices on the spot.

    I'm going to order ND filters there too and asked if it would reach 100 bucks for a 58mm thread he said around that price. is that true?

    should i go back and clarify matters?
    Never go to this kind of unknown shops.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post
    Ianwurn, TS was asking about an ND filter, which most of us presume to be to protect the lens. What you're suggesting is a filter system for effects.

    TS, take it as a cheap lesson, you probably paid double of what the market price is, but it's not several hundred dollars down the drain. You did the right thing by checking here, no matter how harsh some of the comments may be, the intent were to help you.

    And you need to google things more before you jump to conclusions ... that part about Singh-Ray filters was not a smart thing to post, despite how you feel about the shop right now.
    Um, perhaps you need to google more too. a ND filter is not for lens protection. ND (neutral density) filters are used to cut light if you want to shoot with a very wide aperture in daylight, or if you want to cut light for a long exposure.

    Quote Originally Posted by checkers View Post
    Never go to this kind of unknown shops.
    Parisilk is not an unknown shop. Maybe it is to you, but that doesn't mean you can write it off. They actually do give very good deals on the whole. I did visit them while doing my price checking for a camera.

    The real moral of the story is to do your price research before committing to a purchase, any purchase.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Um, perhaps you need to google more too. a ND filter is not for lens protection. ND (neutral density) filters are used to cut light if you want to shoot with a very wide aperture in daylight, or if you want to cut light for a long exposure.
    You're right, calebk, I somehow read "NC" into the TS's comment, don't know why, perhaps because I usually associated ND with a factoring number included (e.g. ND8). My mistake, no need to google, brain cells opened the wrong folder

  19. #39

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post
    Ianwurn, TS was asking about an ND filter, which most of us presume to be to protect the lens. What you're suggesting is a filter system for effects.
    Wouldn't ND filter move the f-stop if it's used for protection ? Hmm.... Personally, I think skylight or UV cut filter is sufficient for lens protection.....
    Snap ?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post
    You're right, calebk, I somehow read "NC" into the TS's comment, don't know why, perhaps because I usually associated ND with a factoring number included (e.g. ND8). My mistake, no need to google, brain cells opened the wrong folder
    Oh, ok... ha.... didn't read this one..... so I wasn't turning nuts.... I was wondering about ND filters being used for protection.....

    Snap ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •