Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Testing response: Spain trip

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,701

    Default Testing response: Spain trip

    Yoz people. I'm thinking of going to Spain this November for a week so I wanna see the response here before deciding to organise a CS trip or go myself. Feel free to express your interest.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Farrer Road
    Posts
    354

    Default

    november would be late autumn early winter right ... leaves fallen? wonder when will there be red leaves in spain, mid-october?

  3. #3

    Default

    hehe... not to pour cold water on u, but better b careful dude... i got mugged, TWICE... my colleague go there got mugged as well... a girl i gotta noe in Spain got her whole valuables bag stolen, lost her cash, card, passport, cameras etc etc... all happened in either madrid n barcelona... better hang on tight to ur stuff... betta be safe than solli
    Olympus EM-1, 7-14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 17/1.8, 25/1.2, 60/2.8

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    hey, i'll be studying in london during that period, shld be ok to meet up wif u there. let me know the outcome yah?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Hmm think have to be careful with my stuff then...

    Well, will see how things go first... still far from Nov...

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by shuy
    hey, i'll be studying in london during that period, shld be ok to meet up wif u there. let me know the outcome yah?
    shuy,
    which college in London are you studying at?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    kings college... r u goin there too? i need to know more pple there! hehe...

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by shuy
    kings college... r u goin there too? i need to know more pple there! hehe...
    No, no, "lao ciow" here... graduated from UCL and am now working and living here in London. Anyhow, my office is in the Bloomsbury area (near the British Museum) which is not very far from King's. I'm almost always around (most of the time unless on offshore or site work), so feel free to contact me if required!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Better to bypass SPAIN! 100% I can say that you will be mugged and robbed in broad daylight. If you can fight with the gangs there, then go ahead.Not to frighten you,please avoid at all costs.

    Two Japanese girls on their way home to Japan, transit at Spain and they were raped,robbed and killed.

    Two of my Singaporen friends was robbed in broad daylight and within an hour, their credit cards were used all over Spain. After they telephoned home, Banks informed them that that their cards are already being used.

    From same group, my Taiwanese friend and wife....in broad daylight they snatched the wife's handbag and punched her.My friend tried to stopped them,they hammered him, took his wallet and he broke his left arm when he fell. The police don't care because its happening every day and the hospital don't care a dammed because he could not produce his ID.

    This is SPAIN......AVOID....AVOID.......for your own safety.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by SzennyBoy
    No, no, "lao ciow" here... graduated from UCL and am now working and living here in London. Anyhow, my office is in the Bloomsbury area (near the British Museum) which is not very far from King's. I'm almost always around (most of the time unless on offshore or site work), so feel free to contact me if required!
    woah cool! wat did u study there, n wat r u working as? im gonna do law, but i heard it's almost impossible to get a job in london.... we shld meet up one day... btw yr gallery looks great! cant wait to take some of my own there

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by shuy
    woah cool! wat did u study there, n wat r u working as? im gonna do law, but i heard it's almost impossible to get a job in london.... we shld meet up one day... btw yr gallery looks great! cant wait to take some of my own there
    I did a two-year BEng (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering and stayed on to complete my PhD in the same field specializing in Non-Destructive Evaluation Techniques. I'm now working as a Mechanical Engineer in an Offshore Oil & Gas Engineering Consultancy. Got lucky and was head-hunted from the Uni in the final year of my reseach.

    PS: Thanks for your compliments on the gallery...

  12. #12

    Default

    Hi,

    I just came back from Spain for my Honeymoon. It isn't fair to say that Spain is unsafe. It is really no different from Paris, London and the likes. Its a bit dodgy. I myself was a victim of a crime. I left my tripod in the backseat of my car and the windows were smashed. But that was my own fault. I used Lonely Planet Guides for my trip and they did warn me regarding leaving things in car but having been so safe in singapore, I let my gaurd down.

    Other than that incident, my trip there was fantastic! There are great photo opportunities thru out spain. Unfortunately, November would not be an ideal time to go. Can you make in in Oct? That would be better altho May is best.

    Rgds

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Farrer Road
    Posts
    354

    Default

    hi szenny, which month do the leaves start turning red in london? and when do they become all red? and finally, when do they look half-fallen?

    thanks.

    Originally posted by SzennyBoy
    No, no, "lao ciow" here... graduated from UCL and am now working and living here in London. Anyhow, my office is in the Bloomsbury area (near the British Museum) which is not very far from King's. I'm almost always around (most of the time unless on offshore or site work), so feel free to contact me if required!

  14. #14

    Default

    I've been living in Spain coming to 5 years now. Generally, there are a lot of pick-pockets in Madrid and Barcelona. They normally operate in crowded areas and in the metro (MRT).
    You can actually spot them quite easily because they are not Spanish. They are normally illegal immigrants having darker colour skin from Latin America and North Africa. Spanish people don't really involve in such crimes.

    I've witnessed a few cases....and once, I almost became a victim myself.
    Most of the time they act in pairs. They will try to get closer and closer to you. Then one of them will try to attract your attention like talking to you...being friendly. While the other will try to open some zips of your bag or waist pouch, etc.
    I've seen one feat where 2 persons pushed one guy while the 3 of them were trying to board the train. Then one of them purposely dropped a bunch of tickets on the floor distracting the "prey" and started to collect the tickets...while the other trying to nick the wallet.
    As for my case, a lady queued behind me while boarding a train. It was peak hours so there were a lot of people. She just kept her distance closer and closer to me until it's just too close for comfort so I quickly placed my hand on my pockets and bingo! Her hand was getting there.

    Just try to be alert when you're taking the metro and when you're in crowded areas. Other than that it's quite safe...I would say.

    Good luck!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by SzennyBoy
    I did a two-year BEng (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering and stayed on to complete my PhD in the same field specializing in Non-Destructive Evaluation Techniques. I'm now working as a Mechanical Engineer in an Offshore Oil & Gas Engineering Consultancy. Got lucky and was head-hunted from the Uni in the final year of my reseach.

    PS: Thanks for your compliments on the gallery...
    u must have had some phenomenal results then... i'll be flying there on 14th sep, how can i contact u? if u're free, u cld be my tour guide! hehe.... most impt is where to get cheap and good food. or is that impossible in london? hmm...

  16. #16

    Default

    Been there. Need to take care of ur personal belongings especially money and expensive gears. Madrid, Seveille, Granada and toledo are still OK but beware of con jobs. Bacelona has a high traveller robbery rate though.

    If you go, don't miss the P**la something (some seafood + rice thingy eeither black or natural) and the flamenco dance, as well as the bull fight (hot man!), both need advance booking.

  17. #17

    Default

    Hi Jeff, It's the paella. That's the seafood-rice. Can't comment on that since I'm a vegetarian. There are other good stuff too like the Spanish salad and tortilla - Spanish omellete.

  18. #18
    psyche
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by jamesong
    Better to bypass SPAIN! 100% I can say that you will be mugged and robbed in broad daylight. If you can fight with the gangs there, then go ahead.Not to frighten you,please avoid at all costs.

    Two Japanese girls on their way home to Japan, transit at Spain and they were raped,robbed and killed.

    Two of my Singaporen friends was robbed in broad daylight and within an hour, their credit cards were used all over Spain. After they telephoned home, Banks informed them that that their cards are already being used.

    From same group, my Taiwanese friend and wife....in broad daylight they snatched the wife's handbag and punched her.My friend tried to stopped them,they hammered him, took his wallet and he broke his left arm when he fell. The police don't care because its happening every day and the hospital don't care a dammed because he could not produce his ID.

    This is SPAIN......AVOID....AVOID.......for your own safety.
    Wow, I don't know how you can come out with such unfair statements. I've been to Europe twice and never experienced these. The bottom line is: You got to be careful and use lots of common sense!!!! Don't compare other countries with Singapore. They are far from the high standards we have here. I'm proud to say, we have one of the safest records but even then, that doesn't mean there's no crime.

    Enjoy your trip, and all I can stress again is, use your common sense!!

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by hyun
    hi szenny, which month do the leaves start turning red in london? and when do they become all red? and finally, when do they look half-fallen?

    thanks.
    Hi hyun,
    With the strange climates that we've been getting (hotter summers), it's been reported that the trees and plants might have gone out of sync with their natural cycles. So if the temperatures drop down later, the leaves may stay on a little longer. But otherwise, you'd be looking at around late-October/November time for red leaves and they normally start falling off in early December. You'll be surprised how quickly it all happens so definitely don't wait for the weekends only to go shoot these.

  20. #20

    Default

    Originally posted by esterp
    Hi Jeff, It's the paella. That's the seafood-rice. Can't comment on that since I'm a vegetarian. There are other good stuff too like the Spanish salad and tortilla - Spanish omellete.
    Paella is not necessarily seafood only... it can be made with meat as well - pork and/or chicken with seafood. It entirely up to you what you want as your ingredients when making it although if you buy it outside in Spain, they tend to be served with seafood only. The locals when they make it at home will have anything they want in it... its their equivalent to our home stir-fried rice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •