Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 261

Thread: GST...

  1. #141

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Tax is fine... but a 2% point increase when times are bad and with a reported surplus? that is just sick.

    ../azul123
    Don't buy anything and you will not be GSTed.

    Or buy from those companies who are not registered and they will not charge you GST.

  2. #142
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Corporate pays tax.

    All the extras is accountable for.
    I'm not sure I follow your post. Can you elaborate?

  3. #143

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    I'm not sure I follow your post. Can you elaborate?
    Temasek pays tax and their account is open to all to read.

  4. #144
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Temasek pays tax and their account is open to all to read.
    Isn't that besides the point?

    Let's follow this through, with fictitious numbers.

    I pay $1 more than I have to, over the course of 1 week. I spend $100 in a week. Other $99 goes towards paying salaries, electricity, equipment, some amount put aside for expansion and replacement, etc.

    SMRT takes that $1 and pay it to shareholders as dividends.

    54 cents of this $1 goes to Temasek.

    Assuming they pay all 54 cents to IRAS as tax, or the money goes back to the government's accounts in some other way (I really have no idea, but I'm not doubting this is all above board and honest) I'm still paying 54 cents more per week than I have to - the other 36 cents goes to other shareholders - and the money goes to the government for them to spend in next year's budget. So, is that tax?

    BTW - Temasek Holdings pay tax? I'm not doubting you, since I know very little about Temasek Holdings. But the very concept is strange to me. Left hand giving right hand money to spend?
    Last edited by lennyl; 21st October 2008 at 07:42 AM.

  5. #145
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Don't buy anything and you will not be GSTed.

    Or buy from those companies who are not registered and they will not charge you GST.
    Where got such a thing... even if buying from company that doesn't collect GST like buying food from hawker stall, their raw material they buy from wholesaler cost more as the wholesaler maybe the one collecting GST.

    There is no getting away from it, poor people are taxed too... if they fall sick they are taxed like others do, buy medicine taxed, buy essential food also taxed.

    If they remove taxes on essential stuff then I think it would benefit the poor. Say a certain brand of bread, rice etc.. cheaper stuff.

    So those who ate quality branded stuff like premium bread or high grade quality rice etc.. pay GST, there must be some way to help the less well off.

    ../azul123

  6. #146

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Where got such a thing... even if buying from company that doesn't collect GST like buying food from hawker stall, their raw material they buy from wholesaler cost more as the wholesaler maybe the one collecting GST.

    There is no getting away from it, poor people are taxed too... if they fall sick they are taxed like others do, buy medicine taxed, buy essential food also taxed.

    If they remove taxes on essential stuff then I think it would benefit the poor. Say a certain brand of bread, rice etc.. cheaper stuff.

    So those who ate quality branded stuff like premium bread or high grade quality rice etc.. pay GST, there must be some way to help the less well off.

    ../azul123
    I agreed with you.

    The place without tax must be only... where? Would you like to let us know. I am sure all of us want to know.

  7. #147
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    If they remove taxes on essential stuff then I think it would benefit the poor. Say a certain brand of bread, rice etc.. cheaper stuff.
    It's always a trade-off. How complicated do you want to make your tax collection process to be? You can make it more "fair", but in the process you spend more money and effort enforcing it.

    In the end, deep down, what we all (or at least most of us) want is for the tax collector to tax someone else other than ourselves
    Last edited by lennyl; 21st October 2008 at 09:35 AM.

  8. #148
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: GST...

    FYI, I pay quite a bit on taxes, was told I fall within top 30%, so no matter how I will pay taxes... not posting this for my own self interest...

    ../azul123

  9. #149

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    It's always a trade-off. How complicated do you want to make your tax collection process to be? You can make it more "fair", but in the process you spend more money and effort enforcing it.

    In the end, deep down, what we all (or at least most of us) want is for the tax collector to tax someone else other than ourselves
    Nobody likes the pay tax but without tax a country cannot operate. It is a question of how fair is the load being distributed, but never 100%. Every system has it gap and the authority can only make the gap smaller.
    Is GST a perfect system? It is far from it. But I think it is better than the old way of collecting tax. Spend more pay more. but everyone needs to spend so the poor spends on the necessity but the rich spends on the extras.
    So everybody in a way contribute to the maintenance of a nation. Without it, no nation can function.

  10. #150

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    FYI, I pay quite a bit on taxes, was told I fall within top 30%, so no matter how I will pay taxes... not posting this for my own self interest...

    ../azul123
    I think I really don't mind if I am within the 30% and pay the tax. To reach this level, one needs to be a professional.
    Every developed countries face the same problem. How to narrow the income gap or to distribute the wealth evenly.... Tough job!

  11. #151
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: GST...

    Someone passed me a copy of the Today's paper at work, I am happy that some MPs raised the concerns what I was saying in this thread.

    Excerpts from that story which is close to what I am concern about is as follows:

    MP Arthur Fong (West Coast GRC) and Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim, in particular, zeroed in on bread-and-butter issues. Ms Lim said there would be little justification for “further hiking GST or raising Government fees and charges”. MP Lim Biow Chuan (Marine Parade GRC), who went further to suggest a reduction in GST, also had property tax and public transport fares on his wish list.

    “I prefer that the Government finds ways to keep the overall cost of living lower, rather than provide targeted financial aid to the needy as the only solution,” said Mr Lim.

    “I watch with concern each time with the transport fares or telephone charges or utilities, and what we see is a long queue of people at the community centres or community clubs applying for financial help to cope with these increases. But, there’s really nothing much they can do, as the cost of living is simply too much to bear for many of them.”
    ../azul123

  12. #152

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Someone passed me a copy of the Today's paper at work, I am happy that some MPs raised the concerns what I was saying in this thread.

    Excerpts from that story which is close to what I am concern about is as follows:



    ../azul123
    Good news if they reduce GST. Everybody is happy. How about income tax? Any deduction?
    I rather they cut income tax than GST.

    The rich will benefit more!

  13. #153
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Good news if they reduce GST. Everybody is happy. How about income tax? Any deduction?
    I rather they cut income tax than GST.

    The rich will benefit more!
    Rather they take the shortfall from budget surplus.

    ../azul123

  14. #154

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Rather they take the shortfall from budget surplus.

    ../azul123
    Any suggestion to use the surplus?

  15. #155
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Any suggestion to use the surplus?
    Got plenty of suggestions... but they have enough smart people to think about it liow. Smart but slow to react.

    ../azul123

  16. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Got plenty of suggestions... but they have enough smart people to think about it liow. Smart but slow to react.

    ../azul123
    true loh, they are paid their worth. no?

  17. #157

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Got plenty of suggestions... but they have enough smart people to think about it liow. Smart but slow to react.

    ../azul123
    Maybe we can help to speed up!

  18. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Maybe we can help to speed up!
    get even smarter people!

  19. #159

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Got plenty of suggestions... but they have enough smart people to think about it liow. Smart but slow to react.

    ../azul123
    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    get even smarter people!
    Don't let them claim all the credit!

  20. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: GST...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Don't let them claim all the credit!
    bobian, bobian, they too smart liow...

    dealing with credits, they are fast.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •